Hardkill

Will it be too late to save everyone on Earth from climate change?

81 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Could you please refer me to a source for me to a source that would help me understand why green energy is still not economical yet?

Essentially the ratio of energy input to energy output from fossil fuels is around 1:100, whereas the same is at best 1:4 for renewables such as wind power. This means that energy needed to pump oil takes 1:100 of the energy it yields. For example for wind mills initial energy input needed for making the mill infrastructure and maintaining it is very high compared to what the mill is expected to produce energy in its lifetime. Also, oil not only produces energy but a lot of chemicals and materials, such as plastics and chemicals for cosmetics etc.. Also Ammonia, that is used to produce nitrogen for fertilizers https://www.cropnutrition.com/resource-library/ammonia/, uses stream reforming to produce hydrogen from methane sourced from natural gas in the middle section of the reaction chain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process, and although green hydrogen could in principal be used, its not as economical as sourcing it from natural gas. So, the worlds food production also relies in fossil fuels. 

Edited by Delis

I think I heard Daniel Schmachtenberger say that one of the problems with climate change is that there will be too many climate refugees who can't survive in places like India and who are going to want to immigrate to places like Europe. The problem is that none of the countries there want to take more immigrants under their wings, which will lead to conflict and potentially war. The repercussions of which will be huge considering people now know how to build their own drones and bioweapons in basements. A lot of people in India are highly educated and know how to do shit like this.  People won't just die peacefully.  

Edited by Unio

You wouldn't ever have even thought about climate change if you didn't see it on TV

Go outside your home and stand on the street. Do you see climate change?

@Hardkill Look at places like Germany where they went green and then had to revert to coal and gas in order to meet their energy needs.

China also requires a lot of coal and gas to meet their needs.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

On 18/08/2023 at 4:08 PM, How to be wise said:

@Majed Animals are there so we can eat them.

"Girls are there so we can fuck them" :D

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Hardkill Look at places like Germany where they went green and then had to revert to coal and gas in order to meet their energy needs.

China also requires a lot of coal and gas to meet their needs.

Germany had to revert to coal and gas because it is phasing out nuclear energy. Where are you getting your information from?

While China does need coal and gas, that has nothing to do with them being utterly irresponsible and insane with the way they pollute their environment. Corruption is real and is destroying the entire country, you have this weird, unsophisticated realism where you will just point at reality and say "Well this is how it has to be", as if reality was some sort of disembodied process that you do not participate in.

Glory to Israel

1 minute ago, MarkKol said:

"Girls are there so we can fuck them" :D

And girls are here to say "fuck them".?

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

One of the problems with climate change is that the scientific models can’t predict with any accuracy what is going to happen.  This is because of the positive feedback loops that can occur in the environment.  So once we have the concrete evidence it is too late to do anything and we are doomed.  This suggests a cautionary policy. 

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Come one guys...

Climate ''catastrophe'' is the new religion for stage green people.

What was the base of religion? Fear.

Fear is how you control people.

What did the priest said? If you don't behave properly, you will go to hell.

What are the politicians saying now? If you don't behave properly, the world will become hell itself.

Is that actually true? Well...

And is not that simple.

-How much money of the taxpayers is going to be invested in fighting climate change?

-Where is that money coming from? (Is important to know because all that MILLIONS and MILLIONS could be spend in another important things: Health, education, research etc...)

-What are the measures that are going to be taken?

-What results and what timeframe are we expecting?

People just rant, typical green stuff, but they don't know the economical, geopolitical, and social implications.

Yes, you can reduce the gas emissions, but at what cost? How is the lower-middle class going to be affected by it?

Be responsible and take good actions, but come on. Life your live.

1972.jpg

1989.jpg

2007.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a las 19.48.26.png

Unknown.jpeg

Leo I think you're wrong on this topic. The situation is not overblown and quite serious. Everything is interconnected and we are seeing every year the speeding up of climate change and all of its repercussions. 

It's real alright. Frankly it's sad to hear people not truly taking this issue seriously enough and skweing this conversation towards "oh no it's overblown" just so they can justify keeping their air con on while living in the f***ing desert. (Next someone will attack this post for my opinion and yadadada this bs debate will keep on going). 

The argument of "there were many different kind of suggestions that the world is going to end in the next 10-20 years and none of them became true, therefore the same applies to the current situation as well" is logically fallacious.

51 minutes ago, LoneWonderer said:

Leo I think you're wrong on this topic. The situation is not overblown and quite serious. Everything is interconnected and we are seeing every year the speeding up of climate change and all of its repercussions. 

It's real alright. Frankly it's sad to hear people not truly taking this issue seriously enough and skweing this conversation towards "oh no it's overblown" just so they can justify keeping their air con on while living in the f***ing desert. (Next someone will attack this post for my opinion and yadadada this bs debate will keep on going). 

The mature view is to realize that mankind's energy demands will keep growing for a long time to come, which includes fossil fuels. This issue is too serious for anyone to be able to politically manipulate it.

What damage is done will be undone by the wealth of future generations. That's how this will play out.

Edited by Leo Gura

In my view, as soon as the interests of major countries are substantially affected there will be a mass amount of powerful government action.

Personally, I don't really dwell on the issue. Imo, unless one were to dedicate their life purpose to the issue, in a stage yellow manner, its entirely out of one's hands. If I did worry about it, I'd focus on inner work instead, i.e. meditation.

I'd also just advise the following. Don't fall into the, imo. foolish trap of thinking your own personal actions will have any affect on climate change. Imo, the whole narrative around everyone playing their part is just a way for corporations/ governments/ businessmen to delay taking the societal level action that is required.

On a personal note, nothing quite triggered me as much as when my housemate tried to stop me keeping my rice cooker turned on. Her reasoning, in part, being that my keeping it on was causing global warming.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

Our planet has been quite awesome for us since the Ice Age.

Scientists say that climate has been naturally warming at a very slow pace since then, but the consensus is clear about humans having accelerated this since the industrial revolution. The course is not good, the warming may seem slow yet, but like an exponential progression, the curve could go crazy at any point.

One important factor could be all the ice of the planet melting into the ocean, which seems unavoidable at this point. Some theories say that this ice serves as a natural cooler, and if we lose it, the temperatures will really grow then. The level of the sea will grow as well.

There may even be a point of no return when the planet and its climate stop being as we know it and change, and it won't be for the better for us. Abrupt climate changes have happened throughout the natural history of Earth, and we could be writing the next one. We cannot know for sure what will happen, science acknowledges some level of unpredictability too. Let's hope it's not too bad, maybe we are lucky, it's a possibility too.

Will we fix it? I don't think so. It's not only about fossil fuels, there's also animal agriculture. I'm only talking about the environmental impact of this, not other considerations. I don't see any way for people and politicians to address the importance of this. We are quite spoiled and we won't take a no, no matter what happens. We want our meat and we want it now.

It's easy to say climate change is overblown if you're posting online from an air conditioned 1st world country.

Say that to refugees who have to move to a different country, since even growing crops, food and having farm animals is becoming increasingly difficult due to everything getting hotter AND hotter around the equator (which is already hot) and things are becoming harder to grow due to places becoming more barren.

Stronger more severe storms, power outages, mud slides, flooding, etc etc the list goes on.

@hoodrow trillson The deaths and suffering are not being denied, it is being contextualized.

Edited by Leo Gura

@hoodrow trillson  I can confirm this. The Indian right wing has been pretty aggressively denying climate change until some of them changed their minds last year when literal hot winds have been blowing up their face. Last summer was so unbelievably hot. 

Rain patterns are disrupted as well. Sometimes it's too much rain and sometimes it's too less rain. And we have old dams near our place that could wipe us off the map if too much rain falls at the wrong time.

When the consequences are right in their face and threatens their life, people are willing to accept the Truth of climate change.

However transitioning to renewables is not the right strategy. Only nuclear energy can satisfy the current energy demands. It's unreasonable to expect people to give up cars all of a sudden. 

This vid explains a lot of the questions. In a country like germany renewable energy sources are much more expensive than oil or gas. Btw germany has almost 3x higher prices per mega watts hour than the US.

Edited by Starlight321