Tim R

POLL: Misusing forum

Misusing Forum   83 members have voted

1. 1. Are you misusing the forum?

• Yes, definitely
    • Yes, a bit
    • Not really
    • Not at all

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

The question is, by your own definition, are misusing the forum? "Misuse" in this context can mean things like using it for

• procrastination
  • "mental masturbation"
  • Escape from other problems or tasks 
  • Hanging out on the forum instead of doing the work of Self-Actualization/Spirituality

Yes, a bit

Sometimes I am bit tryhard with wanting to be right in a conversation. 

Edited by Lyubov

I enjoy this place, It's fun for me and I think it's the casual side of my work. I am more serious everyday.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Anybody with 10,000+ forum posts is almost certainly misusing the forum. At 2 minutes per post that's over 300 hours wasted. 

There's are some users on here where if you look at their profile, they've consistently made say 15-20 new posts within the past 6 hours. They're on the forum all day, every day, they have multiple journals going on the forum that they update multiple times a day, etc.

For me personally I misuse the forum to satisfy my ego and sometimes like to get a little troll-y with it

I know I'm misusing the forum when I get into arguments with people who likely don't give af about my pov or when i read things in this forum that causes me to get into negative thought patterns. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

Generally, there is just enough new posts notifications, so I don't typically spend more than 30 minutes here in a day. There is some seriously amazing stuff to be found on here. Just have to dig a little bit each day. 

Lol, no one would be on this forum if they weren't misusing their time on here. No one here is an integrated human being, because if they were they wouldn't be posting here.

2 hours ago, Yarco said:

Anybody with 10,000+ forum posts is almost certainly misusing the forum. At 2 minutes per post that's over 300 hours wasted. 

There's are some users on here where if you look at their profile, they've consistently made say 15-20 new posts within the past 6 hours. They're on the forum all day, every day, they have multiple journals going on the forum that they update multiple times a day, etc.

For me personally I misuse the forum to satisfy my ego and sometimes like to get a little troll-y with it

EXACTLY. Never got how people get to 1000+ posts that in one year or so, cuz I'm lurking here since like 2017. For example I feel like you, Yarco, post a LOT, but you have not even 500 posts. Haha

@Tim R Ontopic: It can be a time sink for me. That's why I don't discuss day politics any more

Edited by supremeyingyang

I don't take the forum or self-actualization very seriously. Development still happens, but it's not my focus, so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time nor that I am misusing the forum. I probably have 5000+ posts by now given my previous accounts, and that's probably since 2017-18 or so. I've changed a lot over the years, but that's just a bonus for me.

I would say even if you think you're wasting your time here, it's at least 100 times better than playing video games. Most people give themselves a free pass while wasting weeks and months and years of their lives playing silly and useless video games, that goes under the radar. But when they come here, they start feeling guilty and think they're wasting their time. Well, yeah, if playing video games is your goal, then the forum is definitely a distraction for you.

The truth is that the forum is more like a book, or a collection of highly refined perspectives from high quality thinkers, not everyone obviously, but still relatively a lot. I would much rather be hanging around here than be reading dry logical books or attend ideological debates somewhere else. At least here the concept of going meta exists, even though misused, but still.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

7 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

I don't take the forum or self-actualization very seriously. Development still happens, but it's not my focus, so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time nor that I am misusing the forum. I probably have 5000+ posts by now given my previous accounts, and that's probably since 2017-18 or so. I've changed a lot over the years, but that's just a bonus for me.

I would say even if you think you're wasting your time here, it's at least 100 times better than playing video games. Most people give themselves a free pass while wasting weeks and months and years of their lives playing silly and useless video games, that goes under the radar. But when they come here, they start feeling guilty and think they're wasting their time. Well, yeah, if playing video games is your goal, then the forum is definitely a distraction for you.

The truth is that the forum is more like a book, or a collection of highly refined perspectives from high quality thinkers, not everyone obviously, but still relatively a lot. I would much rather be hanging around here than be reading dry logical books or attend ideological debates somewhere else. At least here the concept of going meta exists, even though misused, but still.

@Gesundheit2

Great comment! Thank you so much for the insight 

Please do not take anything I say as an insult. I have 17 warning points and I'd like to stay on this forum.

You are Love.

1 year meditation, 1 hour daily https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/76489-1-year-meditation-1h-daily-start-at-100122/

There aren't any rules about how you should use the forum (generally), so it's not possible to misuse the forum. <<< this me procrastinating ahahaha...

All stories and explanations are false.

Yeah it has become a form of procrastination, escapism and a ego masturbatio. Not to a degree that it is toxic or anything like that but I could probably spend less time around here that's for sure :D

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

There should be a thread for people to chit chat so people will stop pm-ing one another so much.

I feel torn between Kind of / not really.

I don't spend that much time here, around 60-90 minutes a week on average, usually just scanning for interesting posts.

But then again, I'm even questioning if I should be spending that much time here since it hasn't contributed much to my life at all.

Oversimplifying it, I see this forum as 80% shit posts, 15% ok posts, 4% good posts and 1% very good posts.

And to be honest, 80% of the shit posts are done by around 5-10 people. 

9 hours ago, Yarco said:

Anybody with 10,000+ forum posts is almost certainly misusing the forum.

Yup. At this point I'm wondering if some of these people are even real people or just characters, mainly because why the hell hasn't Leo or the moderators hinted at them that maybe they should you know, go outside? Or get their own personal journal / commonplace book?

Edited by CultivateLove

On 15.12.2021 at 3:22 PM, CultivateLove said:

Yup. At this point I'm wondering if some of these people are even real people or just characters, mainly because why the hell hasn't Leo or the moderators hinted at them that maybe they should you know, go outside? Or get their own personal journal / commonplace book?

lol so is Leo abusing the forum as well, since he has over 30.000 posts? Because by your own logic, that’s what you’re suggesting.

I love you infinitely. I will find you forever in every life time because you and me are one. You and me eternally breathing life and bluming 

7 hours ago, Marcel said:

lol so is Leo abusing the forum as well, since he has over 30.000 posts? Because by your own logic, that’s what you’re suggesting.

"Almost certainly" leaves room for exceptions, maybe you missed that part of the quote I was responding to. ;)

Edited by CultivateLove

Wait a minute. Is it a trick question? Aren’t these distinctions arbitrary? There are no lines between them...

I put yes a bit, because sometimes I could be working on other things.  But I usually use this place to come up with new ideas, to read reports, stimulate my imagination, show artwork, talk to people who are on their journey and use my journal - but sometimes I have other things I could be doing like, I have a few chores I need to do, or I could go for a walk or something else - but part of my disability involves being a bit more lax with stuff, just due to where I am at right now.

I am in the process of trying to have a more full schedule and plan to do that this year, so I hope to use this forum completely for what is was intended for with little nonsense in the short future.