SS10

Jordan Peterson New Book

59 posts in this topic

JBP has his new book, BEYOND ORDER, will any one be giving this a read? Also I didnt read his book 12 rules for life but i am currently reading maps of meaning, how was 12 rules for those that read it????

I skimmed 12 rules for life, it was just an okay self help book. Nothing special, nothing terrible. He had a few interesting analogies and pieces of imagery though. Lobsters being one. Biggest weakness was that it felt narrow and simplistic otherwise, not very insightful. Also his shadow does bleed into it. 

I'll be skimming Beyond Order perhaps. Not because I care about learning something useful from it. But because I'm invested in the story of this man Jordan Peterson. I want to see if the way he's thinking has changed. It won't achieve anything, this is just my version of following celebrity drama. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

you know, some of this actually sounds kinda reasonable, maybe even yellow-ish in some areas... and yet this guy will go on transphobic and misogynistic rants. It’s absurd.

Do we need to give this ass-hat more publicity?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Go read Krishnamurti.

Edited by Arzola

Jordan Peterson is out of his mind, I don't like how he sows seeds of hate through his gender bias. Totally not cool for this guy. This book will be just as absurd as him. 

He lumps in a lot of things together to sound perfect or useful. But when you pick his general direction, it's usually about attracting right wing narratives. 

This guy even went on Joe Rogan and said how he made money off of SJWs. Hard to take such a man seriously whose financial integrity lies in being a provocateur and seeks money through creating divisive politics jn a country already struggling with rift and division.

No care about common people, only cares about fattening his bank. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Finally someone with balls said what needed to be said about this guy. 

Too many people are scared of criticizing Peterson just because it will make them look wrong or afraid of his cult of fan boys. 

This guy needed such a public roasting more than Shapiro or Harris. All this IDW nonsense fad. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@SS10

Didn't read 12 Rules and not planning on reading this one. He has never impressed me.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I might try to answer his question.

I know he is bleeding with victim mindset when it comes to modern feminism and the state of modern man e.c.t.

However why we should discuss it is because he operates in the self-help field and releases self-help products, and it is valid to ask others about feedback of his products.

His general self-helf advice can be hit and miss, and I don't think it is the best, because it is not consciousness based (anecdotal) but his talks are not that terrible.

If we don't want to give JP publicity, then how about people like Tony Robbins, Dan Pena, pick-up coaches e.c.t. We all started from somewhere and maybe people find their own missing fragments they needed to hear from JP, of course it could come with it's risks and misdirections, but i can come from you and me aswell. :)

I am not defending JP only, i am defending the principles of giving everyone a shot to know what they are like and not merely skipping people because of clout opinion.

10 hours ago, SS10 said:

JBP has his new book, BEYOND ORDER, will any one be giving this a read? Also I didnt read his book 12 rules for life but i am currently reading maps of meaning, how was 12 rules for those that read it????

I read 12 rules before reading Maps of Meaning. 12 Rules for life is more focused towards a broader audience and was fairly enjoyable. In 12 Rules Peterson backs up his philosophy for life with many examples from religious texts, psychological studies, etc.

Maps of meaning is a more technical book but it goes into much more depth. In Maps of Meaning, Peterson presents his metaphysical construction of reality heavily inspired by the greatest psychologists in the past centuries. The book gets repetitive and boring at some points but in the end, it's worth it.

I will also read his new book. If you feel that his language helps you in your own development, you should read his work. 

I thought he had been sick, how did he have time and energy to write a book.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

JP's doing his best from a hyper-rational perspective, I remember being stuck in that paradigm.

I definitely loved 12RFL, I invite you folks to put your prejudices aside and learn what you can from him.

Not everyone is aware of our true nature, doesn't mean they don't have points to make or anything of value to teach us, quite the contrary might I say.

In 12 rules for life Jordan peterson gives you very strong evidence and supportive tools or, rules as he likes to call it. 

Although I find it hard to swallow any rules I appreciate Jordan's deep care and devotion to his work, and the few chapters I read from 12 Rules for Life those things are powerful, and they last much much longer than a lot of the other self-help and development and actualization that is out there.

I also think it is a little off putting how Leo and the rest completely cancel Jordan Peterson, whatever it is about him to cause such dislike, he has helped and saved many people, and he is at least a little bit of rational in the chaotic SJW culture that is here today.

I don't think it's right to completely dismiss him. He makes some fair points about religious stories and the psychology aspect of his teachings. I may not agree with him totally, but his take on a lot of that stuff is pretty spot on, and it has positively affected people's lives. 

@Leo Gura Why are you so harsh lol. You have called him one of the best academics out there and now you insult him like that. He may not be perfect but at least he does a shit load of research and reading before talking about what he says.

21 minutes ago, MrBON said:

You have called him one of the best academics out there

No I haven't.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 hours ago, SS10 said:

Does it explain how not to be triggered and angry ?

Cause JP could need some of that :3

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Leo Gura I sense a bit of envy/jealousy/hostility from you towards JBP. If he wasn't as popular as he is I dont think you would be as critical of him as you are. He isn't perfect, he has his blind spots and his shadow is baked into some of his works - but so is yours Leo :). 

16 minutes ago, SS10 said:

@Leo Gura I sense a bit of envy/jealousy/hostility from you towards JBP. If he wasn't as popular as he is I dont think you would be as critical of him as you are. He isn't perfect, he has his blind spots and his shadow is baked into some of his works - but so is yours Leo :). 

lol hes purposefully adjusting his tone for the situation. He doesn't actually hate Peterson as a human being.

Edited by Byun Sean