Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

What if:

I can't see if anyone upvoted my comment. But other people can? 

The stages of getting rep:

1. Wow someone liked what I said
  2. Cool this smart person agrees with me.
  3. Got an alert, thats irritating. Not even someone who quoted me.

If I can't give people thumbs up on their post anymore what am I going to do with my thumbs? *taking suggestions*

An ape needs to exercise their thumbs now and then or evolution just might take them away.......jussayin

What is a "low ape" anyway?... I'm more of a 'high' ape..... man. Hehe

Edited by SOUL

Some people have super high thumbs ups when all they do is crack jokes without adding anything of value. Can it. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@Leo Gura Here are some ideas:

1. You keep it and limit the number of likes someone can do per day and maybe make them invisible to see who upvoted what.
  2. You have a hidden upvote-system and every post that has more than X amount of likes gets pinned/highlighted.
  3. You disable the liking system altogether.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

We can give it a test run for a week, and if it really sucks, we should be able to go back to the old system ats any time without losing data.

Right now, the "reputation" notifications seem to be gone. 

This is progress.

Now, if there's any way we remove the reputations themselves, that'd be even better progress. 

Good idea, removing reputation and rank. They irked me right from the beginning. Although conscious of it, I know they warp my perspective and nudge one's focus towards chasing points, similar to money.

I remember when I got my first rep point from Leo. My ego went nuts. ^^ It was funny.

Let's just express our appreciation for each other's input instead.

1 hour ago, Alii said:

Right now, the "reputation" notifications seem to be gone. 

This is progress.

Now, if there's any way we remove the reputations themselves, that'd be even better progress. 

I disabled the reputation notifications yesterday. I didn't even know that was enabled until you guys mentioned it in this thread. That's obviously over-the-top distracting.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I suggest removing red and green colouring for mods and yourself, Leo. Instead you could pin a post to the main page with a list of the mods and admins if there are any other than yourself. They're good for identifying who is a mod in a discussion but I think they subconsciously create bias in a discussion.

As others have said rank names and dots don't really add anything of value to a profile, it's just a funny identifier, making this more like social media.

In terms or rank number, post thumbs and total post count I think it's important to somehow identify those who are contributing good discussion points as well as trolls. Maybe removing rank number and total post count from their picture on a post but keeping it on their profile (so people who actually want to know for whatever reason will have to click to their profile page) could make it less distracting in a discussion.

If someone really agrees with someone else's view or recognises that they post good content they can always follow them, and follower count can remain on their profile page, out of discussions.

In terms of thumbs up buttons they could be a tool that maybe helps newbies see that their argument isn't holding up with the community who view it, helping them question their beliefs as Nahm said. Incorporating a thumbs up and thumbs down button is a good way to quickly give your opinion without having to type it as a post and lengthen the discussion. A quick comment for why a thumb down button is pressed could be a good idea. But I see how ego could come into this is it's really a double edged sword. 

I know that reputation, ranges, points and likes are EGO inflators, maybe a distraction for enlightenment seekers. But you have to know that some people doesnt pursue enlightenment, and come to this forum just for improving in their psychology, lifestyle, health, relationships. For them this little ego pump or self steem is better than worse.

Edited by Moreira

53 minutes ago, Cepzeu said:

I suggest removing red and green colouring for mods and yourself, Leo. Instead you could pin a post to the main page with a list of the mods and admins if there are any other than yourself. They're good for identifying who is a mod in a discussion but I think they subconsciously create bias in a discussion.

It's important that people know who the Mods are.

And as for me, well, people know me too well already to not be biased by what I say.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think it is important to know which threads have high reputation. It increases the likelihood of spotting the better quality topics. 

Removing reputations from the users may be more beneficial. Everyone's perspective should be equal.

I would change the reputation system and only suit it to the threads not the separate posts.

Edited by egoless

And I would add the function to search the top rated threads for the week month and year and since the beginning of the times. Smth like that...

Yeah i agree, the reputation notifications seem to feed the ego far too much.

B R E A T H E

I don't like that thumbs up notifications are turned off, I don't know who liked what.

Ok, I figured out how to find it.

Edited by SOUL

4 hours ago, John Iverson said:

In the first place, what is the purpose of ranking? And reputation?

Reward system. Leo was a videogame developer and he knows how to cath people's interest.

Edited by Moreira

@Leo Gura Is it me, or did you accidentalty disable notifcations altogether? Didnt get a notification when I got quoted. 

Im on iPad though. 

I think a really great idea would be to keep the possibility to thumb up comments, but to not show the number of votes, instead, show incremental jumps in thumb-ups. like a purple color is 5 thumb ups, blue is like 10 and so on. that way, people would be able to tell the most agreed on posts, while eliminating a substantial amount of judgement about a post.

I completely agree though with removing the reputation underneath the profile picture.