Rasheed

Help—When meditating with eyes closed I get drowsy and sleepy...What is going on?

20 posts in this topic

Even though, I have been practicing formal meditation for (relatively) significant amount of time right now (essentially, I am not a beginner), recently I realized how when meditating with eyes closed, I get drowsy and sleepy...What is going on? Realizing this, I essentially started to meditate with my eyes open because this way I remain way more alert and awake (crucial aspects for rigorous effective meditation)—even though this is the case, problem with eyes open meditation is first of all 1). Eyes get really dry. 2). Is doing formal meditation with eyes wide open, staring at one point, correct way to practice?

Essentially, former is not that much of a problem but 2nd one really confused me so I decided to ask here: Is meditating with eyes open correct? Is there a major differences between eyes opened formal meditation and eyes closed meditation?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Have you tried different timing for your meditation? Try fitting it in the time of day when you are most alert and refreshed. If there's no time in your day when you can close your eyes without getting sleepy, then it might be a good idea to consult a doctor for a blood test at least.

1 hour ago, Rasheed said:

Is doing formal meditation with eyes wide open, staring at one point, correct way to practice?

I don't think there is any correct way to do meditation. Whatever suits you best. However, eyes open there is the field of view stimulating your mind, so it might generally be easier to shut your mind while eyes closed.

Edited by Snader

Of course.

Do eyes open.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thanks for help, really appreciate it.

56 minutes ago, Snader said:

However, eyes open there is the field of view stimulating your mind, so it might generally be easier to shut your mind while eyes closed.

Truth be told, I can enter no-mind state while eyes open as well, so I did not find that to be a problem...Especially, when watching a blank wall.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Yes there are meditations with eyes open or half open.

Sleepines is a common obstacle for meditation

I meditate in the morning so I'm already rested or in the evening so I can sleep later to avoid this problem.

You can also meditate with your eyes closed and when you feel sleepy take a break, breathe deeply open your eyes and stare up for a little while or meditate while walking.

The biggest advantage of closing your eyes is it opens your ability to see and feel things you wouldn't so easily experience if you eyes are open.  This is why most people that have psychedelic experiences naturally close their eyes.  

When meditating properly your body starts producing or you become more sensitive to the natural psychedelics your body produces.  

It's normal to get sleepy from a technical standpoint because you are slowing your brain waves down and when you get closer to delta sleepiness starts to kick in.  

I recommend meditating with your eyes closed, if you drift in and out of sleep it's totally fine the better you get at meditation the less time it will take you to enter that deep state which means you wont get sleepy 

@Rasheed Working with drowsiness, from the book "the Mind illuminated"

"In meditation, drowsiness usually leads to brief moments of sleep. Within a few
seconds of falling asleep, postural muscles relax and your head nods or your
body starts to fall. Then you wake up with a sudden jerk as muscle reflexes pull
you upright—the so-called “Zen lurch.” Of course, if you’re lying down or sitting
in a comfortable chair, you might sleep for a long time. (This is why you
shouldn’t meditate in these positions unless arthritis or some other health
condition absolutely requires it.) If you’ve just jerked awake, within a short time
you’ll probably feel dullness setting in again, like a heavy cloak. When this
happens, you have a great opportunity to investigate how dullness develops and
turns into drowsiness.

If you closely observe what happens, you’ll notice that coming out of
drowsiness is distinctly unpleasant. You would probably prefer to stay there.
However, by resisting the urge and returning to the practice, you’ll usually
experience a comfortable state where you can still follow the breath, though
without the same intensity or vividness or clarity as before. This is called subtle
dullness. It eventually leads to strong dullness, in which attention still clings to
the breath, but the focus is weak and diffuse, and the sensations vaguely
perceived. The drowsiness that precedes falling asleep feels like trying to see
through dense fog. The breath often becomes distorted, transformed by
dreamlike imagery, and nonsensical thoughts start drifting through the mind.
Eventually, you do fall asleep.

Working with subtle dullness as it arises can be quite productive, but
struggling against strong dullness that’s already present doesn’t work well. So, if
you’re drowsy or have already dozed off during a session, you must first rouse
the mind out of dullness. Then you can work with dullness as it starts to return.
Here are a few “antidotes,” roughly in order of strength from mild to strongest,
for rousing the mind from dullness:
• Take three or four deep breaths, filling the lungs as much as possible, and hold for
a moment. Then exhale as forcefully and completely as possible through tightly
pursed lips.
• Tense all the muscles in your body until you begin to tremble slightly, then relax. Repeat several times.
• Meditate while standing up.
• Do walking meditation.
• Worst-case scenario, get up, splash cold water on your face, then go back to
practicing.

These work because they stimulate you, not only physically, but mentally as
well by increasing the flow of external stimuli into your mind. In general, always
do whatever is necessary to re-energize yourself back to a state of alert awareness.
When drowsiness returns quite soon after you’ve roused yourself, it’s called
“sinking,” which feels like being caught in mental quicksand. Sinking is a sure
sign that you didn’t re-energize the mind enough. Keep using stronger antidotes
until the drowsiness doesn’t return for at least several minutes. But try not to do
more than necessary, or you’ll create a state of agitation!"

@Rasheed Make sure you have the basics right.

Do you eat before meditating? Make sure your stomach is empty before meditating. Ideally 4-5 hours since you last ate.

I do with my eyes open and can start tripping out without any substance. Stare at the ground unfocus eyes try to notice distinct pattern out of the chaos( it will start to glow) of unfocus eyes. Focus on that part with unfocused eyes it will turn into geometry

Edited by Hojo

Probably some dukkha nanas.

It's an important part of meditation. Continue and it will disappear. If you went to a Vipassana retreat now you might get a cessation.

When you get to a further phase where this doesn't happen anymore it will return again in time but you'll be able to get out of it faster.

Probably some dukkha nanas.

It's an important part of meditation. Continue and it will disappear. If you went to a Vipassana retreat now you might get a cessation.

When you get to a further phase where this doesn't happen anymore it will return again in time but you'll be able to get out of it faster.

But it depends on what kind off practice you're doing. If it's purely concentration then do what the guy above quoting the mind illuminated said. If you're doing a Vipassana practice then listen to me and read a few sections from mastering the core teachings of the Buddha about nanas.

Also, I hope you're sitting without back support. If you're sitting with back support then you're drowsy because your form is bad.

Edited by Michal__

Then you need to rouse more energy. Always maintain balance in the middle between relaxation and energy. “Relax all that can be relaxed, alert all that can be alerted.”

Edited by The0Self

Follow your gut and do it with your eyes open. When you get sufficiently deep into meditation you may instinctively close your eyes.

A brisk walk immediately prior to sitting. Sit for a couple minutes eyes closed to observe body. Then sit with eyes open to a plant or tree.

And/or observe, understand, make peace with dullness. 

14 hours ago, Rasheed said:

Even though, I have been practicing formal meditation for (relatively) significant amount of time right now (essentially, I am not a beginner), recently I realized how when meditating with eyes closed, I get drowsy and sleepy...What is going on? Realizing this, I essentially started to meditate with my eyes open because this way I remain way more alert and awake (crucial aspects for rigorous effective meditation)—even though this is the case, problem with eyes open meditation is first of all 1). Eyes get really dry. 2). Is doing formal meditation with eyes wide open, staring at one point, correct way to practice?

Essentially, former is not that much of a problem but 2nd one really confused me so I decided to ask here: Is meditating with eyes open correct? Is there a major differences between eyes opened formal meditation and eyes closed meditation?

You can take a run even and just focus with your eyes out on what is happening that is very challeging. Eyes open is perfectly fine, I do it also when I feel any emotion to intensely etc. As well as when I am struggling with meditation, you can still focus on the sensations in your body, hand, mental talk, mental quiet, restful feelings, flow inside your body, flow outside of your eyes (movement you can trace) etc. stuff like this. 

There is no direct difference, although with eyes closed I generally go deeper, and I can see that when I have eyes open how deep I went for example. 

Is your body tired?

one day this will all be memories

IMG_1739.jpg

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Read the mind illuminated by John Yates. It explained how this is a stage in your meditation journey and how to get past it.  

"The journey never ends, the point of arrival is always now." 

About open eye meditations, i found that my eyes get dry fast and i tend to blink a lot, this is a problem?

Edited by Recursoinominado

Oh and another thing. Do you fall asleep at the gym? Meditation should be no different, as it’s just as intense training — if it isn’t, fix that. If you don’t lift, fix that too. Body and mind both need to be strong, especially as a man, today. Try TMI if you need a massive amount of structure to your meditation.

Edited by The0Self