Gregory1

How do you define God?

57 posts in this topic

Hey lovely people...

I wanted to deepen my intellectual understanding of God. For this I am searching for new ways to define God, using language. I am specifically interested in:

1. 1-3 sentence definitions of what the word God means (please only answer to this thread if you realized what God really is)
  2. And synonymes for the word God (one example here would be the word "Divinity" 

Thanks for your responses.

Edited by Gregory1

Please do not take anything I say as an insult. I have 17 warning points and I'd like to stay on this forum.

You are Love.

1 year meditation, 1 hour daily https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/76489-1-year-meditation-1h-daily-start-at-100122/

I will start with my own definition 

1. God is the one source from which all of existence is originating. It is the one thingless thing that gives rise to and is identical to all of existence. It is what always will remain when you let go of all doubts
  2. Divinity, Conciousness, Being, Beloved One, Oneness, Love, Infinity, Here and Now, Perfection, Beauty, Omniscience, Omnipotence, Truth, I

Edited by Gregory1

Please do not take anything I say as an insult. I have 17 warning points and I'd like to stay on this forum.

You are Love.

1 year meditation, 1 hour daily https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/76489-1-year-meditation-1h-daily-start-at-100122/

2 minutes ago, Gregory1 said:

It is the one thingless thing that gives rise to everything else.

Can you conceptually collapse this, such that there is no distinction between 'the one thingless thing' and 'everything else'?   

il_794xN.1004780879_2re2.jpg

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

2 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Can you conceptually collapse this, such that there is no distinction between 'the one thingless thing' and 'everything else'?   

il_794xN.1004780879_2re2.jpg

Yes. It was a bad formulation - I corrected it, thanks.

Beautiful picture by the way, a picture of God herself.

Edited by Gregory1

You are Love.

This is mental masturbation

19 minutes ago, Gregory1 said:

Hey lovely people...

I wanted to deepen my intellectual understanding of God.

This is mental masturbation. You'll never get a complete understanding through language and intellect.

Don't be discouraged, but you have to accept this. Put in the work to get to your own understanding (books, mediation, yoga, psychedelics, retreats etc)

26 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Don't be discouraged, but you have to accept this. Put in the work to get to your own understanding (books, mediation, yoga, psychedelics, retreats etc)

This is what I am doing with this thread brother.

You are Love.

I think this quote is relevant... 

“silence is the language of god,
all else is poor translation.” ― Rumi

But just for fun. 

God is the self aware experiencer of reality 

1 hour ago, Gregory1 said:

I will start with my own definition 

1. God is the one source from which all of existence is originating. It is the one thingless thing that gives rise to and is identical to all of existence. It is what always will remain when you let go of all doubts
  2. Divinity, Conciousness, Being, Beloved One, Oneness, Love, Infinity, Here and Now, Perfection, Beauty, Omniscience, Omnipotence, Truth, I

Omnipresence.

There is nowhere God is not.  

God is nowhere!

The collapse of all duality or differences.

Sameness. 

Eternal.

You.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

INFINITY

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

That which nothing greater can be thought/imagined/experienced/being

Completely unlimited. 

God's knowledge of itself is exactly the making of all things.

Infinity.

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

As Leo has suggested, 'infinity' may be the closest word we have.

Other words or phrases that would be equally true: 

"God is everything"
"God is love". This one is not only true, it looks better on those signs you get outside churches. It's more tangible to many to say "God is love" than "God is infinity".
"God is a glass of water" (I'm picturing Michael Craig Martin's famous 'Oak Tree' artwork here with the different title, "God")

But the thing is, you know already that words are not IT. You might as well ask yourself instead what smell best approximates God, or what sound best approximates God. For some reason I've always quite liked the smell of petrol, but I'm under no illusions there.

The ego's efforts to circumscribe reality are always doomed to fail. As Godel discovered, any self-referential system of logic at some point encounters its own shortcomings, or its own finitude. There always exists a bigger system which better encapsulates the truth. Forever. Buzz Lightyear puts it pretty well: "To infinity and beyond!"

I'm not sure what happened to Buzz Lightyear. But remember, Godel starved himself to death.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

God

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

50 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Not sure our man @Terell Kirby was really heard here. 

Intellectual understanding of God (on a relative level) is crucial to realizing the actuality of things on deeper and deeper levels. Throwing intellect out the window is  like killing the baby before it has even grown up... Grow up guys, stop your spiritual bypassing

You are Love.