How to be wise

Is doner kebab healthy?

24 posts in this topic

I was wondering if people knew about the healthiness of doner kebab. Although I’ve heard that they’re bad for you, I’ve done research on how they are made. They only get meat, mix it with some natural flavourings and spices (also soy) and finally fry it with vegetable oil. It doesn’t seem too bad to me. What do you guys think? Any experience with this?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I guess it all depends on the place and where they get the meat from and the quality etc.  Usually Doner kebab is known to be made with the scraps or unwanted pieces of meat.  Again it all depends on where you get it. 
making your own would be the best option.  

Edited by intotheblack

If the meat is not bad, you usually still get a TON of topping, which is fatty and perhaps also sweet, so you've got meat and a bit of vegetables swimming in fat. Edible, but certainly not too healthy. 

If we opt for a large doner kebab with no salad, covered in tomato sauce, we'll likely be consuming a ton of processed red meat, fat and salt covered in chemicals, all of which are generally considered not the best choices for a healthy body.

If we want our bodies to get essential nutrients then the meal as a whole must be balanced which requires paying attention to what we have with the kebab as well.

I guess we could enjoy a doner kebab occasionally and eat well the rest of the time and maybe we'd "get away with it" although fast food can be addictive.

If we're going to have kebabs, a healither option might be a shish, which is whole cuts of grilled meat, with a generous quantity and variety of fresh salad and either no sauce, or home-made chilli sauce depending on its ingredients. 

Edited by Dan502

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

Cheapest of the cheapest meats chargrilled on open fire creating a lovely cocktail of carcinogenic molecules on its suface. There is few things worse than kebab. At least they give you salad with it which is nice :D 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

There was a study in the UK a few years back, which found it to be the unhealthiest of all the fast food options, even more so than burgers and fries or fish and chips. Definitely to be avoided. It has a ridiculous amount of calories and saturated fat. Going for a falafel, shish kebab or any sort of grilled option with rice and salad will be far healthier. It is also a microbial nightmare, because of the dodgy meat used with an unknown origin and the fact they tend to leave it at room temperature overnight. to start again with the same slab of meat the next day. 

I've heard that doner is 90% meat offal , combined with some normal meat. Contains a ton of fat, and red meat, which is never a good idea. It doesn't sound like it's healthy.

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

I used to eat dürüm kebab every day for a lunch for about half a year and I felt good :) I did not analyze the food components too much, but it seemed good at first sight: some meat, relatively a lot of vegetables, sauce and flatbread. Good, simple times... :) I don't know if I've ever had döner kebab. Probably also depends on quality of the ingredients.

lol, this must be a joke? 

even 'healthy' food from fast food joints is pretty much complete processed shit, look at all these Vegan options- processed shit still. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Yes, it is healthy, just remove the bread, the meat and the sauce lol

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

How is this not a troll thread? Someone that has stated several times previously that he has reached higher states of consciousness through dedication to the work of Byron Katie yet he opens a thread up on a fairly advanced self-development forum about whether or not a Doner Kebab is healthy. 

Might as well open up a thread on the benefits of smoking. 

Bread is absolutely terrible for you. Any meal involving bread gives you cancer. 

3 hours ago, Bill W said:

Might as well open up a thread on the benefits of smoking. 

xD 

Do it man. i don’t smoke but I hear it relieves stress :P 

I know it can be fun to play in boxes but thinking in them can get really burdensome 

sorry had to play the joker card, why so serious?!  

7 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Bread is absolutely terrible for you. Any meal involving bread gives you cancer. 

White bread is not healthy in the long run, but you are totally exaggerating. Or you're trolling, too. 

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

34 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

White bread is not healthy in the long run, but you are totally exaggerating. Or you're trolling, too. 

maybe you're just addicted to bread, and the idea of someone telling you bread is bad triggers you. 

It's probably ok to eat it few times in a year...

It depends on the circumstances... of course. But generally it's ok.  

On 10/02/2020 at 11:33 PM, electroBeam said:

eh...that's a bit of reductionist thinking. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 10/02/2020 at 11:33 PM, electroBeam said:

Really? I never heard that before . Interesting 

@How to be wise If you make it yourself without all the grease and shit like they do in kebab shops, then it is healthy. Grill Chicken cubes, toast pitta bread and add salad.

Edited by Red-White-Light