Sempiternity

Mooji just exposed as a abusuve cult leader?

197 posts in this topic

I watched one clip by Mooji where one of this 'followers' tells him she's had a kundalini awakening and he's really dismissive of it. She then asks him (probably as a veiled insult as she's annoyed) have you ever experienced this? Mooji then looks so pissed. He says something like 'my darling, that's child's play.' I was quite taken aback by the level of ego that Mooji displayed here. In another clip he tells someone to be quiet and stop talking, like he's a school teacher or something. 

One guy I spoke to who'd been to a Mooji retreat said that he stared long and hard into Mooji's eyes and saw nothing, only a hollow void....lol. No love etc. Just my two cents. 

Apparently Papaji, Mooji's guru, stated that many of his disciples were acting as fake gurus. Not sure if he ever mentioned Mooji in specific though. Might be worth doing some research. 

Edited by Wisebaxter

Where is the video where he dismisses the awakening ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin Go to 15.00 if you want to see him fully dismissing her experience and looking insulted. But the whole video is interesting. 

Edited by Wisebaxter

1 hour ago, Wisebaxter said:

@Shin Go to 15.00 if you want to see him fully dismissing her experience and looking insulted. But the whole video is interesting. 

He's cutting down her ego and snapping her out of the seduction of energetic experiences; they are not awakening. Sometimes people need some tough love. Historically, masters and sages could be much, MUCH harsher than that.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

34 minutes ago, winterknight said:

He's cutting down her ego and snapping her out of the seduction of energetic experiences; they are not awakening. Sometimes people need some tough love. Historically, masters and sages could be much, MUCH harsher than that.

@winterknight I see, thanks for shedding some light here. Perhaps my mistake is once again assuming that enlightened masters have no ego, or the capacity to get frustrated or annoyed. I know you've explained before that this isn't the case. It wasn't so much that he challenged her that niggled at me, it was the way he did it, with no tenderness present. He even looked self-consciously aware of how he was coming across. Perhaps if he'd been more confident with it....

But I'm aware these are all my relative assumptions, based on very limited information.  

What are your thoughts on Mooji in general? Does he come across as legit to you? What do you think about some of the behaviour at his retreats, like people kissing his feet, singing songs of praise to him, etc? I guess it's no different than some of the things we see happening with Sadhguru and his followers, or is it? 

Edited by Wisebaxter

2 hours ago, Wisebaxter said:

He's right,

His reaction is weird but he's right.

Having mystical power or super amazing mystical experiences are still part of duality.

If anything they can get you lost even more.

God is love

And God in them

22 minutes ago, Wisebaxter said:

@winterknight I see, thanks for shedding some light here. Perhaps my mistake is once again assuming that enlightened masters have no ego, or the capacity to get frustrated or annoyed. I know you've explained before that this isn't the case. It wasn't so much that he challenged her that niggled at me, it was the way he did it, with no tenderness present. He even looked self-consciously aware of how he was coming across. Perhaps if he'd been more confident with it....

But I'm aware these are all my relative assumptions, based on very limited information.  

What are your thoughts on Mooji in general? Does he come across as legit to you? What do you think about some of the behaviour at his retreats, like people kissing his feet, singing songs of praise to him, etc? I guess it's no different than some of the things we see happening with Sadhguru and his followers, or is it? 

You can't really judge whether someone has "no ego" based on their outward actions; it is their inward experience alone that dictates that. Though of course you can decide whether you feel peaceful in a teacher's presence.

As far as Mooji, from his videos, which is the only experience I have of him, he comes across as very legit.

As far as the kissing feet behavior, etc., you have to realize that this is all very normal in the Indian tradition for thousands of years... so arguably he is respecting some followers' need to show their devotion that way. Not all gurus do, of course, but he's made that choice.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

16 minutes ago, Wisebaxter said:

@winterknight Who would you say is the best guru you can watch on YouTube? 

Other than me? :) (though I actually don't have many videos up)

I actually do like Mooji best of what I've seen. David Godman is also good, though he's not exactly a guru per se.

7 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Other than me? :)

smells like delusion :S.

@Wisebaxter a good guru would be one whose method of inquiry is similar to yours. this way he/she is able to anticipate your questions and lead you to even further questions, to the point where your reasons to hold attachments become loose enough.

unborn Truth

The best guru is the inner guru.

Use all the material you need, but don't get attached (emotionaly) to one particular teaching, guru or community.

They are pointers and nothing more.

God is love

And God in them

A good guru teaches by his mere presence. Word explanations are for the mind, for those who are not yet open enough and not able to receive on some other level. One, who has some sort of magnetism - transmission and not many followers, so his attention would be totally on you and not just giving talks for the masses. 

I met Mooji twice, around 7 years ago, he wasn't so well known then, his energy is light, warm and heart opening, after  5 min I wanted to hug everyone. A lot of laughter present at satsangs and a feeling of mind/ body becoming relaxed. 

What he says rings true. Is he enlightened ?  In my opinion, only to a degree. I lacked seeing - perceiving something that I percieved in two others. But it's still great to be in his company.

2 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@Wisebaxter a good guru would be one whose method of inquiry is similar to yours. this way he/she is able to anticipate your questions and lead you to even further questions, to the point where your reasons to hold attachments become loose enough.

@ajasatya Yeah definitely. This is important to remember. Many people have said that Mooji has influenced them profoundly for the better and that's what matters. I love teachers who can lead you very easily to direct experiences of the truth. Adyashanti's stuff is great as he has such a loving, gentle approach and his teachings are so easy to understand. Also Rupert Spira, because it's all very empirical and based on actually experiencing what's there, but I think the absolute Grandaddy of them all is Peter Ralston. For me he's the absolute best as teaching you what's true in your actual experience and understanding the effects that concepts have on moving you away from the truth, into ego. His delivery is so woke too, the way he uses his body and contrasts in his speech and tone. 

2 hours ago, Etherial Cat said:

Eckhart Tolle works well for me.

@Etherial Cat Hell yes, Tolle broke my spiritual cherry back in the day and I listen to him all of the time. When I read the Power of Now....man, life became completely fresh for me and I wouldn't be here having this discussion now. I was actually practicing 'space consciousness' only a few minutes ago. He's so damn funny too. 

2 hours ago, Shin said:

The best guru is the inner guru.

Use all the material you need, but don't get attached (emotionaly) to one particular teaching, guru or community.

They are pointers and nothing more.

@Shin Definitely dude. This is Leo's strength I think, that he stresses more than any other guru how important it is to do the work yourself. Of every guru I'd say that Leo has had the greatest impact on my life and general level of happiness. Especially as he introduced me to psychedelics. Not many of them do that.

@Amber

55 minutes ago, Amber said:

I met Mooji twice, around 7 years ago, he wasn't so well known then, his energy is light, warm and heart opening, after  5 min I wanted to hug everyone. A lot of laughter present at satsangs and a feeling of mind/ body becoming relaxed. 

Thanks for that Amber. It's good to hear from someone who's actually met Mooji. I'm leaning towards being in the pro-Mooji camp now. Although I don't fancy kissing his feet. I'll suck him dry, obviously, but feet kissing is just plain wrong. 

Edited by Wisebaxter

What about all the sex allegations?  isn't that a little unbecoming of a guru if true?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 minute ago, Joseph Maynor said:

What about all the sex allegations?  isn't that a little unbecoming of a guru if true?  

@Joseph Maynor Allegations is the key word. But hey, no smoke without fire usually, right? Perhaps the truth will be revealed as time goes on. 

You are too egotistical if you don't kiss the feet.

The other way around is plain impossible though, god does not have an ego, you know ...

And since it is an ancien Indian tradition, it means it is right, pure, and obviously a good way to go closer to god.

But also don't marry my daughter filthy dalit, or I'll stone you to death !!!

?

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

8 minutes ago, Shin said:

You are too egotistical if you don't kiss the feet.

The other way around is plain impossible though, god does not have an ego, you know ...

And since it is an ancien Indian tradition, it means it is right, pure, and obviously a good way to go closer to god.

But also don't marry my daughter filthy dalit, or I'll stone you to death !!!

?

@Shin As time goes on I'm moving more and more into the 'Shin' camp on various matters. I appreciate your sense of humour too, very playful and I like the way you use it to deliver powerful messages. During my recent LSD trip I became aware of how playful God/reality actually is. Prepare your feet to be showered with kisses Shin. 

Edited by Wisebaxter

4 minutes ago, Wisebaxter said:

@Shin As time goes on I'm moving more and more into the 'Shin' camp on various matters. I appreciate your sense of humour too, very playful and I like the way you use it to deliver powerful messages. During my recent LSD trip I became aware of how playful God/reality actually is. Prepare your feet to be showered with kisses Shin. 

That's my boyfriend, back off bitch 

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

3 hours ago, Wisebaxter said:

Who would you say is the best guru you can watch on YouTube? 

It's who resonates with you in this moment right now. It's who reveals insights that are ready to be revealed within you now. It's who sings with your inner guru.

5 minutes ago, zambize said:

That's my boyfriend, back off bitch 

can't we have a foot each? 

@zambize

3 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

It's who resonates with you in this moment right now. It's who reveals insights that are ready to be revealed within you now. It's who sings with your inner guru.

@Serotoninluv

For sure, I find that the right guru pops up at exactly the right time, just when I need that particular message. God is always at work guiding us. Many people on this forum have fulfilled that function, you included bro. We are each other's gurus, guiding one another back into unity.  

Edited by Wisebaxter