StephenK

Why do you come here? Full honesty required!

74 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Natasha said:

To connect with like-minded beings :)

Me too.  It’s funny, you said in one sentence what it took me a gaggle of sentences to say!  Nice

Well, I came here because I thought I would find some like-minded people... but yeah, I'm still very much caught up in my "how can we save this world?" view sometimes. I don't want to come across as arrogant, but I think I'm mostly green in the spiral dynamics model (and yes, I'm dealing with the consequenses of that :/ ). Other times I'm caught up with doing nothing, feeling the Absolute and having mystical experiences. So, I'm slowly finding my balance and I'm wondering where it leads to. For now, it brought me here....

4 minutes ago, Natasha said:

To connect with like-minded beings :)

Same here. 

Things keep going crazy in my life and the world.. I want to understand it and learn how to handle and deal with it all. 

I've gotten to meet some of the most beautiful and interesting people while I've been here. And I can't see that as anything less than a bonus ^_^

To remind myself I am not the only one on this path. The forum gives me a lot of inspiration to keep going.

So thank you everyone for being here!

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

The blooming is beautifulCBE8560B-0B9C-4D51-B5C0-FB1D83071ECB.jpeg to witness.

We have an Arab saying that goes like: "One fig matures if it's exposed to others."

Entertainment. You think I come here for advice? lmao

To connect with like minded beings as previously said. 

To learn.

To apply advice to myself. 

I also read people's advice to each other and apply that to myself also. 

To see things from others perspectives.

To watch people grow.

Contemplation of what's been said. 

@StephenK Someone once said that if you want to learn something very well, you need to join a forum about that thing. That's what I'm doing here.

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

A forum I use to go on dried up after many, many years. So, came here, because this forum has a lot of activity, compared to others. Posting here is not really working out too well. Not liking it very much. I'm sure I'm as much to blame as anyone else. :S 

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

A forum I use to go on dried up after many, many years. So, came here, because this forum has a lot of activity, compared to others. Posting here is not really working out too well. Not liking it very much. I'm sure I'm as much to blame as anyone else. :S 

We can all behave better, no one in particular to blame. 

This is the only forum with high volume dealing with these kind of questions, right?

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

2 hours ago, Etagnwo said:

Lol

Are you expecting to get something out of this forum?

No need to gain anything necessarily. I'm mainly passing the time, but would prefer not to agitate the mind, especially when sattvic. So, I'm going to start ignoring some posts more. That seems like a solution.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Etagnwo said:

Sorry. I misinterpreted you

No problem.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Was curious about the paradox of an internet-forum dedicated to self-actualization/enlightenment.

I live in the Bible Belt, so it is very hard to meet people who a) are actually into spirituality and b) have enough knowledge and experience to discuss anything related to the topic.  I go on another similar forum as well, but it can get a little dry and erudite sometimes.  Here, you can find and talk to all kinds of interesting people: spoiled rich kids, the suicidal, the truly enlightened, the pseudo enlightened, psychonauts, doomsday preppers, hippies, schizos, anarchists, the insane, and of course just regular everyday people looking to improve the quality of their lives.  

This place holds me accountable as well.  I wouldn't feel right to participate in a forum like this without continuing and developing my practice.

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

55 minutes ago, WildeChilde said:

I live in the Bible Belt, so it is very hard to meet people who a) are actually into spirituality and b) have enough knowledge and experience to discuss anything related to the topic.  I go on another similar forum as well, but it can get a little dry and erudite sometimes.  Here, you can find and talk to all kinds of interesting people: spoiled rich kids, the suicidal, the truly enlightened, the pseudo enlightened, psychonauts, doomsday preppers, hippies, schizos, anarchists, the insane, and of course just regular everyday people looking to improve the quality of their lives.  

This place holds me accountable as well.  I wouldn't feel right to participate in a forum like this without continuing and developing my practice.

How are you able to distinguish between all those classifications? And how do you know which is which? 

@WindInTheLeaf You can tell often times both by what people write about and how they write it.  For example, if somebody writes a lot about 2C-B, LSD, mushrooms, etc. and gives a lot of trip reports, they're likely a psychonaut.  If somebody constantly questions non-duality and demands peer-reviewed scientific evidence on any claim (that was me for a long time), they're probably an armchair skeptic.  I've met all of these different types of people at some point, and if you meet enough of them in real life, you know how to recognize them in other formats like this forum.  These are labels of course, and there is a lot of overlapping.  The main point I was making was this forum has a rich variety of people that make it an interesting place to visit and learn from.  

Where I live, the vast majority of the people go to Protestant churches, vote Republican every election, listen to country music exclusively, eat friend greasy foods regularly, live for tailgating and football season, drive gigantic pickup trucks, and have health problems due to obesity and alcoholism.  I feel like an alien living here, so it's great to have places like this where you know people care about the same things you do like the nature of existence, the welfare of our planet, and the ending of suffering.  

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde