Mysterious Stranger

What are we really afraid of?

21 posts in this topic

Your fear is the sharpest definition of yourself

In an absolute level, what are we really afraid of? 

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

everything. they say death is the root of all fear but I think existence itself is. not being in control, I believe, is the source of our fear. we are absolutely powerless to reality.

Edited by Oppositionless

God is the unknown we are scared of that

Death. In all forms.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

I think we are only and only afraid of suffering, mentally or physically. 

As a human, thousands of fears, such as having my hands amputated or my business sinking, or becoming blind and paralyzed. thousands, tens of thousands of fears.  as absolute, life, existence, no fear. if things get tough, we'll see how easy it is to settle in the absolute. maybe not so hard, maybe yes, impossible to know until the thing comes

Edited by Breakingthewall

we want and pray life stay the same when change is the only constant

same is safe, different is apparently work and nobody wants work

to kill fear, give it all up tonight and start life over tomorrow

forget mindful embrace mindless

Living; taking risks. Being upopular(disliked).

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

17 hours ago, Oppositionless said:

not being in control, I believe, is the source of our fear. we are absolutely powerless to reality.

Yet there are “aha!” moments that arise, seemingly out of nowhere, and it’s beautiful and inspiring.

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

20 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Your fear is the sharpest definition of yourself

No, it's exactly not yourself.

Fear is a subset of reality, not reality. You are reality.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

22 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

In an absolute level, what are we really afraid of? 

Nothing. Thought forms. Things that aren't you and can't touch you.

Fear is just paranoia of what doesn't exist. Paranoia is following "threatening" thought patterns, but of course, thoughts cannot threaten anything.

Paranoia is just a radical and noticeable degree of fear. "Normal" and "functional" paranoia is just called fear or survival, but it is still ultimately paranoid, because it never makes contact with what actually exists.

Fear is a negative emotion. It's a combination of two things, "negative" and "emotion." The "negative" part comes from thoughts. "Emotion" is just actual physical sensation. You can separate the two. The physical symptoms associated with fear are real, but they are simply things like adrenaline, heartbeat, excitement, etc. So, they can actually exist without the thought. It becomes negative when you associate it with thought, and then that's how fear is created. Otherwise, it's just a physical symptom, nothing negative or positive about it. It just motivates you to avoid danger, without any reference to future or past selves. Fear is just a personification of physical symptoms, and then that personification just exists as a thought form, which is ultimately not describing anything real or physical. 

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@Osaid Thank you for bringing up emotions. There are actually people who have extreme difficulty recognizing, expressing, and describing their emotions. It’s called alexithymia.

Humans are fascinating. 

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

It's a fear of death.

For example, why don't people swim with the crocodiles or walk to the lions' cage? Because of death.

Some people say they have the fear of height but actually it's because they fear death.

It became more of a problem when you deeply fear your boss, your managers and other workers. Some girls have fears all the time while other managed to transcend them.

2 hours ago, Osaid said:

Nothing. Thought forms. Things that aren't you and can't touch you.

Fear is just paranoia of what doesn't exist. Paranoia is following "threatening" thought patterns, but of course, thoughts cannot threaten anything.

Paranoia is just a radical and noticeable degree of fear. "Normal" and "functional" paranoia is just called fear or survival, but it is still ultimately paranoid, because it never makes contact with what actually exists.

Fear is a negative emotion. It's a combination of two things, "negative" and "emotion." The "negative" part comes from thoughts. "Emotion" is just actual physical sensation. You can separate the two. The physical symptoms associated with fear are real, but they are simply things like adrenaline, heartbeat, excitement, etc. So, they can actually exist without the thought. It becomes negative when you associate it with thought, and then that's how fear is created. Otherwise, it's just a physical symptom, nothing negative or positive about it. It just motivates you to avoid danger, without any reference to future or past selves. Fear is just a personification of physical symptoms, and then that personification just exists as a thought form, which is ultimately not describing anything real or physical. 

I love that explanation.
It helps me re-contextualize stage fright. If there’s no negative thoughts co-opting the adrenaline rush when you are up there it’s now possible to actually use that energy to refine and improve performance.

Sailing on the ceiling 

Adios terra firma.  The fear of losing one's tether to the physical.

Edited by cetus

1 hour ago, Rigel said:

It helps me re-contextualize stage fright. If there’s no negative thoughts co-opting the adrenaline rush when you are up there it’s now possible to actually use that energy to refine and improve performance.

Yes, exactly! That is the true intended purpose of that emotion, before it is co-opted by thoughts about yourself. By the way, thoughts are always ABOUT yourself, they are not your ACTUAL self, which is your entire physical experience. Thoughts are just thoughts. You are you (not thoughts).

What I said actually applies to ALL negative emotions in ALL situations.

So, if you extrapolate this method to your entire experience in general, your life might blossom into something really beautiful, you might even achieve enlightenment or something.

Edited by Osaid

Should we focus on fear? Fear around is? I am noticing it a lot. Like is there any value of noticing it? How to deal with it in a best way?

Edited by bensenbiz