Jon_Bundesen

I HATE High School So Much

17 posts in this topic

I'm a junior (11th grade) and have 1,5 years back before finishing high school but I hate it so much I just want to quit. Everyday I wake up and genuinely dread going to school, don't get my wrong I like being social with my friends and what not but I hate my class and I think there so boring I especially hate math which I think is very complicated and I don't really care about.

I don't care about grades but I do care about not failing my exams and having to low grades to not be able to complete high school because you get kicked out.

I'm going on quite a rant and in reality it's probably not so bad but I really dread it espically assignments which I feel take up all my free time.

Any advice on how to get through high school would be much appricated.

Edited by Jon_Bundesen

There's LEVELS to this shit!!!

I got out of high school two years early by getting my GED. Otherwise not much to say, you're just gonna have to get through it.

I'd use it as a time to practice getting really effective at studying things in a way that invigorates you. Perhaps even things you don't enjoy at first. Might as well make the best of your unwanted situation, imo.

There's a book called 'What smart students know'' by Adam Robinson that I think could be of value, if my recommendation resonates with you.

Tho, I don't think that book will really help with math subjects. So can only wish you luck on that one :).

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

This is something we all go through, it will be a blip in the time line of your life...I have forgotten majority of the things that happened in highschool, only the events I considered major remain....

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

Use that dead time in classrooms to study up on self-improvement make plans for the future, math is not complicated your just learning it in a boring environment. Look up whatever topic your learning about on youtube, they can explain it in an informative and entertaining way and it at your own pace.

Make the most out of your experience you don't have any major responsibilities during this time in your life don't waste it

I think there’s something to be said of your mindset regarding high school. I hear you that you authentically dread going to school. 

However, if you tell yourself that you hate school every day and hyper focus on all the negative aspects of it then of course you’re going to be miserable.

Assuming you’re not going to drop out and get your GED, I’d start looking for the positives. Start counting your blessing.

You mentioned being social which is cool. Focus on that.

What else so you enjoy about school?

You mentioned not liking math which is fair but is that a class that you do enjoy?

Focus on the things you enjoy..

Daydream in math about how excited you are for next period to see “x” friend or to go to “y” class.

To be honest man I really relate to your situation. I hated the academic side of school but high school was some of the best years of my life. That’s because I focused on fun stuff that brought me joy like playing magic with my friends or going to basketball practice. And I just skated by with a “C” average so I didn’t have to work very hard on the classes I didn’t enjoy. 

There will always be menial task you don’t particularly enjoy in life. Learn to efficiently grind them out and then spend the majority of your time focusing on what you do enjoy. Hope this helps. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Study anyways. You're going to regret it later, seriously (speaking from experience.)

Look up study and productivity techniques on youtube.

@Jon_Bundesen

Focus on the meta. 

How you approach tasks, what you mindset is, whether you're procrastinating, and when. 

Not least, setting yourself up for a more energized and focused day, which means a good day and night rhythm, getting to bed in time, sleeping enough, sleeping well, eating well, being mindful about partying and how much and the effect of your own drinking. 

We need rest and fuel to function well.

To add structure to your life. 

And, to add structure to your school experience. 

How and when you study. 

Having a clear plan for the school week, shorter and longer plan. 

Focusing on priorities, getting to things early so that things get a chance to sit, but also so that important things don't end up competing too much with eachother, resulting in sacrifices. 

Helps with not putting things off.

If you have structure, the content of the classes is going to be easier, and better results are going to be more easy to achieve. 

Lack of structure makes every day a struggle - not just school work. 

What you learn in high school is essentially a waste (except language and math) and the real learning happens in the real life, around real experiences, in a direction that is directly connected to the doing. 

What you should learn in school, but most don't, and it's not taught, is how to approach learning as a structured phenomena, learning to lead yourself through learning with a positive mindset. 

Learn this and you are setting yourself up for a much easier ride in life.

With this kind of outlook, school simply becomes a playground for building self-awareness and experimenting with getting structure into place.

Schoolwork happens in that process, but you're dedicated in investing in yourself and not focused on unwanted experiences, or possibly, worthless learning. 

Even in adult life, people in general don't have a clue about how to approach life with structured thinking; aspirations, visions, goals, goals  breakdown, intentful pursuit, visualization of progress, utilizing social support systems, and so on, that's the structure "how we approach something" - whatever the goal might be, that's not important here, that's the content, "what we do and what we accomplish". 

Nail down the structure and you will accomplish a lot, a lot more effortlessly.

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

Cannabis got me through high school. Without it I would've probably quit. 

You have to be smart about it though. 

And I was reading literature about Zen Buddhism in class ^_^

Make it as fun as possible. 

On 7.09.2022 at 7:37 PM, Jon_Bundesen said:

I hate my class and I think there so boring I especially hate math which I think is very complicated and I don't really care about.

You should not. Now is the time to learn Math, Math is easy, it's just an algorithm. Check out a book named "Engineering Mathemathics" by K.A. Stroud and Dexter J. Booth. It starts with all the material from zero. You can find the book on Z-Library. This website is cool also: https://schoolyourself.org/

WHY? Why is it important to master Math now?

Because you need it anyway to pass school, also it develops your brain, your resolve and other soft charactetristics.

BUT. The most important reason is that MATH TUTORING pays $60/hour for doing almost nothing. You can start an account on Wyzant or something. You can also look for local clients.

I strongly encourage you to become good at MATHS and a TUTOR.

The alternatives are bleak unless you have a sensible life purpose idea already, which you are executing.

Edited by Girzo

On 9/7/2022 at 10:37 AM, Jon_Bundesen said:

Any advice on how to get through high school

Connect with the joy of learning and studying reality.

Otherwise you'll be a dumb human and your life will not go so well.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Agreed. I miss my school days.

Schools do a good job of giving you basic understanding of reality which serves as a hood foundation for the work you do later. 

@Jon_Bundesen I don't know, it seems you don't want to take the traditional route of getting good grade in high school and going to college, but you also don't sound that serious about taking any alternative routes ( starting bussiness, developing a skill, having a life purpose). So be careful, you might end up as a failure if you keep this attitude. If you don't care about high school, you must care about something more important (life purpose). honestly, I think you are slacking off and being lazy.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Totally agree.
Wish I focused more on this when I was a child in school, instead of allowing teachers and the system to make me feel as if it is boring to learn.

Endless nuance

I wish I had found meditation before high school and not straight after xD

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I had a hard time in school, too.  From middle school until high school.  I failed most of my classes, when I managed to do well, the teachers wouldn't see the work I did or they would say that it was too good, that I must have stolen it.  I finally started to do work from home and got 6 months done in 2 months at home, and they lost the whole notebook and never told me that they did - just basically waited until I got my report card and none of the credits were there.  I totally understand why students hate school.  There's bullying, you're basically herded around like a cow, there are too many students in each classroom to get the attention you need, most teachers shouldn't actually be in that line of work and can be as big of bullies as the students themselves.  

My suggestion is this - finish your classes online.  If it isn't the work, and it's just going to school itself, try doing it that way.  You might have a much easier time.

If that doesn't work, you could try you GED.  That's what I ended up doing after my class teacher lost my work, she basically forced me to fail an entire grade and wouldn't fess up.  I realized I was getting nowhere here, and that the system was not designed for a person such as myself.  Later in life, as I started learning things on my own and developed a new curiosity for the world, I realized that the problem was that I can't learn via auditory - so teachers giving lectures did nothing for me.  I need both reading and muscle memory combined to remember what I'm doing.  Schools often don't have the skills to teach a student a better way of learning, the entire system is quite abusive, destroys your creativity, treats human beings as statistics, etc.

If you can go at your own pace in the comfort of your own home doing online courses, you might have an easier time.  Ask your school if they have that, or what resources they know of that can allow you to do this.

Already really good advice. Im in 12th grade, i suffered some. 

Meditate while being in class.

Learn how to be just still.

Just appreaciate that u can learn. Even if "its not useful".

U gain discipline. 

Its really not a big deal. Its not suffering. Its just how you think about it. I think its fine, everyday im building discipline, trying to build my future, trying to get a little better.

Its also a duty. What would happen if nobody would do their job? (In this current age )

You can still make business. Live your life, improve.