Leo Gura

Elon Musk Buys Twitter

139 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dryas said:

Relevant tweet from Elon

But that's exactly what current Twitter moderation is like. It pisses off mostly the extreme right and left.

People in the middle 80% are not tripping over Twitter's guidelines. So this makes no sense.

Where are the problematic cases of Twitter censorship? This is the real question for Musk.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There was an altcoin named "Elon Musk Buys Twitter" - it went up over 2000%  yesterday.

You can derive it from simple logic

Left means not right

Knowing Musk i'm sure he will bring Trump back to get some easy PR and breaking headlines, and to reinforce his newly manufactured image of free speech defender.

Jack Dorsey supports it. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/jack/status/1518767238081171456

Because of the left's (mostly the far left's) political manipulation and control over social media and memes some people are thinking that they know better about twitter than the founder of twitter. (It is mostly memetic inoculation though. With no substance to it most of the time. )
Edited by captainamerica

Jack is not the greatest fan of one guy owning twitter. Nevertheless let's see how this goes.

Apart from the the new tweets there are some old tweets by Jack Dorsey when the talks first began. 

As a board member he was unable to talk about it openly. Board restricts him legally. 

Seems like something is cooking behind the scenes. Jack Dorsey has basically been supporting Musk since the begining. 

They have a plan and Jack was in it since the start. I am betting on it.

Interesting. Did not expect this. Kara Swisher's angle is insightful. 

Edited by captainamerica

If Jack and Musk get rid of the ad model and have proper authentication for the users this would be a quantum leap in Social Media industry. With just one move literally. 

All the incentives would align in the favor of the users. Instead of the users being the product, the company would be the product. You know like how we used to do it back in the day. 

I am excited for this. 

Edited by captainamerica

It is promising that Jack is involved.

However, moderation will have to exist for Twitter to be healthy. And it will have to be significant moderation of hate speech and misinformation. There is no way that hate speech and misinformation will just police itself. No way.

Jack and Musk are not magicians. A healthy online forum only comes with proper policing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It is promising that Jack is involved.

However, moderation will have to exist for Twitter to be healthy. And it will have to be significant moderation of hate speech and misinformation. There is no way that hate speech and misinformation will just police itself. No way.

I think their implementation will be inline with this principle but yeah it is a valid doubt. 

Time will tell. Hoping for the best. Let's see. 

It would be good if social media has a major innovation for users now. About time. 

Obviously what Musk means with that tweet is that the extreme left have free reign currently on social media and the extreme right is cracked down upon. There’s an obvious  bias there, even though they are equally bad.

Example: hate speech and calling for violence , rioting and looting by BLM supporters is conveniently tolerated. But questioning covid vaccination mandates and the Chinese origin of the virus is cracked down hard upon.

Edited by vizual

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But that's exactly what current Twitter moderation is like. It pisses off mostly the extreme right and left.

People in the middle 80% are not tripping over Twitter's guidelines. So this makes no sense.

Where are the problematic cases of Twitter censorship? This is the real question for Musk.

Exactly this.

I also saw a short clip of him adressing a" new solution" to editing a tweet by eradicate all likes and retweets if an edit was made. It is basically another way of deleting a post and repost it. So no groundbreaking change there either.

Maybe Mr Musk has bigger plans tied to his curent business plans with twitter apart from making it into a freespeach platform. But nonetheless, I think he will have a lot of shitstorms coming his way from both of those 10% if they get pushed back in any shape or form.

2 hours ago, acidgoofy said:

Oh wow, I didn't know Twitter was such a big deal.

It's not that popular in Europe...

lol I had the same reaction, in my entire life I haven't met a single person who actually uses Twitter once a month. guess it's just the Americans. Most Europeans don't concern themselves with free speech it's just not a thing. Positive or negative its true.

Edited by MarkKol

Too much power in one's hands. He definitely didn't do that just to upheld the sanctity of the free speech. Obviously he has other motives for it. 

I can just imagine 

Its 2050, Elon musk is 80 years old and he owns Apple, Mcdonald's, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, Tesla, SpaceX and probably the US government as well. investing our taxes into electric cars and rockets.

who knew that this would be the true face of capitalism. if capitalism was a person It would look exactly like this guy

elon-musk-meme-review-face-person-human-head-transparent-png-1482314.png

11 hours ago, Dryas said:

Relevant tweet from Elon

Kinda simplistic but I think I agree with this take.

Not a bad take in theory, but in practice I can image this being used in a way that paints a false equivocation between, for instance, policing the use of pronouns from the Far Left, and calling for the use of political violence to overturn an election from the Far Right.

At least in the current context, the center of gravity as far as the level of radicalization on both sides and its ramification for the rest of society isn't remotely equivalent.

The question of just how radicalized a person is who falls just outside of that %10 demarcation on both ends matters here. Case in point, it becomes a lot more complicated when a roughly a quarter to a third of Americans have been propagandized in to believing Trump's lies about the 2020 election being stolen 

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

5 hours ago, vizual said:

Obviously what Musk means with that tweet is that the extreme left have free reign currently on social media and the extreme right is cracked down upon. There’s an obvious  bias there, even though they are equally bad.

Example: hate speech and calling for violence , rioting and looting by BLM supporters is conveniently tolerated. But questioning covid vaccination mandates and the Chinese origin of the virus is cracked down hard upon.

I guess you forgot about how Trump used Twitter to incite the Jan 6th insurrection.