Someone here

I want to understand boredom

18 posts in this topic

What is the root cause of boredom? And why do we experience it?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Boredom is a highly transient emotion, this means that it is an emotion either quickly accepted and turned into contentment or quickly denied and turns into resistant/pessimistic thoughts which leads one down the resistance rabbit hole. 

The emotional scale is perfect for understanding emotions.

Lack of stimulation maybe? 

The desire for entertainment and the lack of it is causing subtle frustration and pain. This gets labeled as boredom imo.

One who has no desire for stimulation never experiences boredom imo. He/she is just in a perfect state of contentment always.

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

boredom is i need entertainment 24x7 and why am i not getting it ... boredom is the gateway to spiritual bliss but mind will block it 

For me boredom is "there are a million things I could do right now that would be an interesting/fun use of time but I'm not able to see them as interesting/fun and would rather sit in a puddle of apathy" 

@Someone here

It's the desire for stimulation and once again, a discontentment with and non-acceptance of what is. 

Interestingly though, during the practice of meditation (if that's the way we want to look at meditation) boredom isn't (necessarily) a problem, despite the "lack of stimulation". 

So it's not primarily about the stimulation or lack thereof, but about the dissatisfaction with what is - in a context of a perceived "lack of stimulation". 

Boredom is the result of an inactive mind and taking things for granted, blinding yourself to how infinitely fascinating even the most minute aspect of reality is. 

Boredom is wanting to do something but having thoughts or believing that you can’t do it, so you are bored. Like when you want to play outside but it is raining, so you are bored inside. The thought, “I want to play outside but I can’t” is what makes you bored and sit inside. Because if you had thoughts like, “well I could play outside and dry off afterwards,” or, “I can play inside,” would not make you bored, it would make you play. 

Ego-mind is like a shark, if it stops moving it dies.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Ego-mind is like a shark, if it stops moving it dies.

That's actually a prescription :D 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Definition and synonyms of boredom: 

boredom

noun

bore·dom | \ ˈbȯr-dəm  \

Definition of boredom

: the state of being weary and restless through lack of interestthe boredom of a long car trip

Synonyms for boredom

Synonyms

blahs, 

doldrums, 

ennui, 

listlessness, 

restlessness, 

tedium, 

weariness

If you have other definitions of boredom, feel free to share.

Edited by Danioover9000

Boredom is arrogance.

It’s assuming you have everything figured out. This prevents openness.

Just a consideration.

Boredom is a good thing because it helps you see all the possibilities to create that do exist. 

"You Create Magic" 

Being bored, or the experience of being bored,is something that can only be experienced or happen in time. But time, is only a concept, and not a reality. We never actually have the direct experience of time. If you remove time from the experience of being bored, what's left?

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

4 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Boredom is arrogance.

It’s assuming you have everything figured out. This prevents openness.

Just a consideration.

Boredom is like laziness, depression, humiliation and lose of hope, this are emotions from within apathy. Arrogance, on the other hand, has much more in common with rage, annoyance, disgust and boasting, which is found in anger. Emotions related to apathy have this feeling of numbness and slowness to the emotions, while emotions of anger differ in lack of numbness, and being fast and feeling hot and tension. Thoughts that stem from boredom, and thoughts from arrogance are also different, as boredom puts one in a state of sluggishness, with thoughts that are not too empowering to the self and part of it's world, meanwhile arrogant thoughts empowers the one thinking like that, creating a sense of grandiose and self entitlement that can pull such a person out of a state of boredom.

Edited by Danioover9000

Ego = beliefs  = thoughts = actions = survival 

Boredom =  you stop acting = you stop and observe yourself = questioning your beliefs, thoughts and actions = you questioning your identity = you dying psychologically and putting your survival at risk  

So ultimately boredom can be viewed as an ego self defence mechanism that protects you from looking inwards

Of course Leo put it in a much more elegant and concise manner with the shark metaphor, but still I felt that this perspective might be useful as well 

Edited by Patrick_9931