unborn_chicken

Youtube removed the dislike count

99 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I welcome this move from YouTube. Many young content creators suffer when they get unnecessary dislikes on their videos from haters and trolls. It impacts their business negatively.. 

Then why don’t they just remove dislikes for small / new channels?

It's a minor inconvenience because not all content creators make great video. One creator's car crash compilation video might not be as good as another's and dislikes are a quick way to figure out if the video is good before watching it. Not that many content creators are getting legit trolled... perhaps the Biden administration is but they can just remove the dislikes from official government organizations if they don't want to allow the freedom of speech or criticism. In any case there's way too much content to consume and too little time to waste to spend it on youtube anyways.

33 minutes ago, QandC said:

@Danioover9000 Ok.

I think it's great that it's gone, less negativity and more happiness yaaay! :D Also gets rid of many trolls 

Less negativity towards creators but because now if you don't install the extension you can't tell if you're being trolled by the video. 

So it will probably increase the amount of people getting trolled just because there are more people watching yt than creating videos on it. 

The removal of the dislike count was done for the benefit of corporations  who weren't happy at having their content being review bombed by unhappy consumers.

It's an anti consumer move, but in the grand scheme there are far more important issues to be concerned about.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Eventually, Google reviews will also not have stars ratings.

Just like in facebook, there used to be stars ratings but they removed it for advertising. 

Time to reduce watchtime on YouTube and move on to something more consumer friendly.

@QandC

5 minutes ago, QandC said:

@Danioover9000 There are people who subscribe to certain (very small) live-streaming channels just for the sake purpose of f^cking upp the like-dislike ratio. But you probably didn't know that *petpet*

List one of them.

Maybe I was super naive, but I expected more user features with which we can interact with the content, not less. Something akin emoji likes that discord or slack have, or something new.  The more ways people can express themselves about what they think about the content, the more realistic the content reaction.

But no, we are going for the money, yet again, doubling down on the same dysfunctional shit and singing a very familiar song.  I doubt this has anything to do with users, harassment, toxicity or anything of the kind.

PS: For those that do not like to watch 20 fake videos on "how to unfreeze start menu" and go trough the like/dislike ratio to find the best video, you can return the dislikes with an browser add-on for the time being.

Guides here:

Edited by Yog

@Yog

25 minutes ago, Yog said:

Maybe I was super naive, but I expected more user features with which we can interact with the content, not less. Something akin emoji likes that discord or slack have, or something new.  The more ways people can express themselves about what they think about the content, the more realistic the content reaction.

But no, we are going for the money, yet again, doubling down on the same dysfunctional shit and singing a very familiar song.  I doubt this has anything to do with users, harassment, toxicity or anything of the kind.

PS: For those that do not like to watch 20 fake videos on "how to unfreeze start menu" and go trough the like/dislike ratio to find the best video, you can return the dislikes with an browser add-on for the time being.

Guides here:

Nice share. 

13 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Yog

Nice share. 

Hope it satisfies your dislike hunger :P ;)

Or we can go completely meta and dislike dislikes xD

Edited by Yog

On 12/2/2021 at 3:14 AM, AlterEgo said:

Obviously to protect the image and narrative of the government, media, corporations, big pharma and vaccines etc.

Examples:

avg3q2akgzz71.jpg

9l33965frdz71.jpg

iqn3hwar56w61.jpg

0x2ut4vhfe081.jpg

y9w5uthxhvc61.jpg

@AlterEgo I get the impression you don't believe vaccines are worth taking, or am I wrong here?

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Notice how your mind is so addicted to negativity that you even become negative when your freedom to spew negativity is taken away.

Well first of all that's an assumption that anyone who disagrees with removing a very useful measurement of social media success and public opinion is automatically addicted to spewing hate, and secondly many who say such things simply can't handle a differing opinion undermining it as "hate" or "trolling" due to excessive emotional sensitivity. If it's an actual troll you can report it, and if a video really does have a lot of dislikes maybe that's for a very legitimate reason? The only way making these changes can make one feel better is if they stay in their own little bubble and never face the real world, because there's a lot worse out there than a stupid internet troll. If one can't handle that imagine how they will handle the real world, it's just more immature entitled narcissism of the social media driven culture we are facing today. It's akin to putting a child in bubble wrap before entering the playground. Trolls feed on the most sensitive, that says everything. Plus how will I know what videos will help me the most if I don't know which one is better rated? This exponentially increases the time to weed out what's useful on youtube and what's hogwash. 

Removing likes and dislikes alongside comments was already an option, this move just assumes everyone is a child who can't handle the slightest pinch of "negativity".

It's just dumb. 

It makes one angry when people disturb the echochamber specially when you think you are right. 

Edited by Epikur

With the dislike count removed, it's a good chance to quit YouTube for good.

What are some alternatives?

Dailymotion?

Edited by hyruga

2 hours ago, hyruga said:

Dailymotion?

I think they should remove the comments just to see what happens. That would be fun.

3 hours ago, Epikur said:

I think they should remove the comments just to see what happens. That would be fun.

Nah they should automatically like the video and leave a positive comment when you watch something to maximize happiness. 

Edited by Opo

28 minutes ago, Opo said:

Nah they should automatically like the video and leave a positive comment when you watch something to maximize happiness. 

Yeah... Who the heck wants Yin when you can only have Yang?

5 hours ago, hyruga said:

Dailymotion?

Dailymotion is garbage. We need something better than Youtube. It has become way too corporate, sometimes when I search for something specific I get 100 big news channels with 100-1000 views as first result. It shucks. Its gonna go down the drain and turn undemocratic in the next 5 years. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!