SQAAD

Do Affirmations Actually Work or NOT?

37 posts in this topic

Do affirmations work or not?? I read a book from Mark Manson. He basically said that everytime you tell yourself that you are rich, you remind yourself that you are poor. Everytime you said you are intelligent, you remind yourself that you are dumb.

Do affirmations work or not? It seems to me that if you are already something, you don't have the need to remind it to yourself...

A challenge for you. Do some affirmations two times a day for a full month. Once in the morning and once before bedtime. Won't cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time a day.

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

Yes affirmations do help me

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

It depends on your state of mind. Sorry I cannot elaborate.

I've never really committed to affirmations long term, I always feel a bit pathetic doing them the few times I've tried if I'm honest

If I was gonna do something like that I'd do visualisation

Edited by something_else

Visionboard pictures on your phone, in a  separate album are 90% more effective and less effort. Scroll through these daily and it takes 30 seconds. 

once you live the lifestyle of your pictures in a couple weeks via small steps, the positive self talk and affirmations come organically. 

Love Is The Answer: LSD Awakening

I keep affirmations around me all the time to imprint beliefs in me. They work the more I see them.

Don't know if this is the best explanation but is see it like this:

- you create your own reality;

-your reality is based on your system of beliefs;

-what you tell yourself day by day becomes a belief;

-repeating positive things about yourself, creating and reinforcing new beliefs;

-in the beginning, is more like fake it till you make it, later on, it's - YOU! :)

Hope it helps! 

I like visualizations better.

Something about affirmations seem very gimmicky, almost like wishful thinking to satisfy ego-ic needs / convince yourself of an alternate reality through words.

There is something more pure, organic, present and spiritual when it comes to visualization.

Affirmations are stupid. They do work short term. Repeating something like a program all day long for example something you learned from a book does work. It's like brute forcing the right actions. I was experimenting with this for some years. It does work. It's not very healthy. Not the way to go. 

My experience is that they never worked. Visualisation did though. Each his own.

- Enter your fear and you are free -

I prefer subliminal audios layered many times! You can seriously program yourself like this to an insane degree

On 11/2/2021 at 1:58 AM, SQAAD said:

He basically said that everytime you tell yourself that you are rich, you remind yourself that you are poor. Everytime you said you are intelligent, you remind yourself that you are dumb.

This is silly.

I've always known I was intelligent and no matter how many times I tell myself such, I will not become dumb as a result of it.

Affirmations work to a degree, but they require massive repetition and they can't be your only tool for solving problems.

And visualization is more powerful than affirmations. Visualization can be extremely powerful if practiced seriously and consistently.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I've always known I was intelligent and no matter how many times I tell myself such, I will not become dumb as a result of it.

But in your case you already know as matter of fact you are intelligent. So it’s pointless to keep affirming it. 

When Mark Manson said that, he probably meant people who are unsure of themselves or dealing with an issue affirming what they want to be true. I think the idea behind this being counterproductive is that affirmations are motivated from a place of lack, so repeating to yourself what you crave still puts focus on the aversion. Kind of like if part of your house caught flame you would want to grab the extinguisher and go straight to the source instead of sitting around telling yourself everything is secure and you are safe.

@Egodeathrow What kind of results are you getting from those subs?

@Emotionalmosquito But you can visualize yourself become better at almost anything. You can visualize yourself becoming more intelligent through education. This isn't some farfetched notion. Intelligence requires a lot of cultivation. I wasn't just born intelligent, I worked on my education for decades.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I haven't tried visualizations so much. But both affirmations and visualizations help. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

On 11/2/2021 at 4:58 AM, SQAAD said:

I read a book from Mark Manson. He basically said that everytime you tell yourself that you are rich, you remind yourself that you are poor. Everytime you said you are intelligent, you remind yourself that you are dumb.

mark manson speaks in too many absolutes and needs nuance in his work. contrarian viewpoints get clicks - its a marketing strat used in self-help

LoA is great. What hes mentioning is a trap in LoA where you can reinforce the negative, if the affirmation is too outside of your reality. but he uses it as a way to discredit the entire thing

Edited by Jacob Morres

Read ask and it is given by abraham hicks.they give techniques which are the best

They can be useful, but IME without learning how to regulate your nervous system they usually don't resonate very much. 

If your nervous system is in fight/flight mode and you tell yourself "I'm safe" it may help a bit, but often times it's not believable in that state. So I would reccommend a combination of techniques that regulate your nervous system if you want to use affirmations