SQAAD

Do Things Exist Independently Of Me?

101 posts in this topic

Let's say that right now i am looking at a bottle water. Does that bottle of water exist when i exit the house and no longer look at it??

Or do things exist when only we do perceive them?

I guess this question cannot ever be answered..We can't even test this in practice..

Edited by SQAAD

3 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

I guess this question cannot ever be answered..We can't even test this in practice..

You answered yourself there. We can only have different beliefs about it.

Consciousness is a bitch, without consciousness we wouldn't be thinking about these kind of things.

Edited by Blackhawk

@Blackhawk

1 minute ago, Blackhawk said:

Consciousness is a bitch, without consciousness we wouldn't be thinking about these kind of things.

I like that :-)

"Degrees of certainty"

Even though you can't be 100% certain the bottle of water is still there, you can behave as if it is, because you're 'pretty sure' it is. 

If I told you I my car was parked outside.. without any way of knowing 'for sure'.. it's reasonable that my car is outside, so it's reasonable to behave as if it is. 

If I told you I had a dragon in my garage.. without any way of knowing 'for sure'.. it's not very reasonable to behave as if I do. 

Even though we can't know things 'for sure'.. we can have degrees of certainty. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

2 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

"Degrees of certainty"

Even though you can't be 100% certain the bottle of water is still there, you can behave as if it is, because you're 'pretty sure' it is. 

If I told you I my car was parked outside.. without any way of knowing 'for sure'.. it's reasonable that my car is outside, so it's reasonable to behave as if it is. 

If I told you I had a dragon in my garage.. without any way of knowing 'for sure'.. it's not very reasonable to behave as if I do. 

Even though we can't know things 'for sure'.. we can have degrees of certainty. 

Yes, But the moment you perceive that dragon, it comes into existence, and the moment you turn around and no longer see it, it literally disappears from existence! 

We can only assume or imagine that reality is opposite of this!

44 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

Let's say that right now i am looking at a bottle water. Does that bottle of water exist when i exit the house and no longer look at it??

It can be answered, just not at your current level of consciousness. 

I could say that no the bottle does not exist when you exit the house, but that concept/thought is useless for you. That is just another belief. Better to raise your consciousness and contemplate it for yourself.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@m0hsen needless to say, I won't be looking to the skies for dragons every time I leave the house. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

6 hours ago, SQAAD said:

Guess again.

What if, what you were conscious of is precisely all that existed?

It's so simple.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

30 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Guess again.

What if, what you were conscious of is precisely all that existed?

It's so simple.

The question remains: how could that idea be tested, verified or proved? And I'm not even talking about science now. I'm talking about just proving it to oneself.

Edited by Blackhawk

Consciousness isn't even conscious of itself, in certain states. How else could it "awaken", except by pretending that time and existence are real? It's the extra-cosmic interplay between formless and form, the dream within ultimate reality.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Blackhawk Spiritual practices

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

7 hours ago, SQAAD said:

‘Bottle of water’ is a thought, like ‘cup’, which is what the phrase ‘empty your cup’ points to. 

Do Things Exist Independently Of Me?

‘Me’, in that usage, is a thought like ‘cup’. ‘Things’ is also a thought, like ‘object’. 

‘Things’ is a thought. Perception is perception. There is no direct experience of ‘we perceive’. 

Sure ya can. Look at the water bottle, and find a separation between the bottle, the seeing of it, the seeing, and the awareness of seeing. 

Notice any ‘separation’ that arises, is a thought, and not a separation. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

32 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

The question remains: how could that idea be tested, verified or proved? And I'm not even talking about science now. I'm talking about just proving it to oneself.

Awakening/Infinite Consciousness.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

15 hours ago, SQAAD said:

Record your house a video while you're absent and see xD

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Record your house a video while you're absent and see xD

Lol

16 hours ago, SQAAD said:

Just for the sake of conversation :D Imagine you are in your room and you leave the room for a minute, the room doesn't exist anymore since it's not in your visual field so to speak. BUT your visual field is not all there is. Direct experience is not limited by visual field, direct experience is unlimited, the whole universe so to speak. 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Who are you asking? If you want to find out if the sun is shining go outside. Your ego wants comfort by asking someone else, you have been culturally conditioned to believe in object permanence, so you rely on culture to keep you sane. 

Here, grab a cup. Put it behind your back. Does the cup exist right now in your direct experience? Dont think about the cup. Just look. Is there a cup in your experience when its behind your back?

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I think you are relying your question on your visual perception only which is incorrect. Direct experience is not what can you see with your eyes only

@SQAAD the answer is simple, but counterintuitive.

On one level, there are two types of existence. There is direct perception and there are thoughts. If you are not directly perceiving the existence of something, then it exists only in your thoughts. What seems hard to realise is that direct perception is very choppy, it's not smooth; things appear and disappear all the time, it's completely normal. Only thoughts (including memories) fill in the gaps and make "existence" continuous. 

You can experience this process in action, when something you never knew existed comes into your direct experience. Notice how you create a mental backstory to explain the sudden appearance.

On a higher level there is no difference between direct perception and thought. At this level everything is "existence".

All stories and explanations are false.

2 hours ago, allislove said:

Direct experience is not limited by visual field, direct experience is unlimited, the whole universe so to speak. 

How it Isn't ??

3 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

How it Isn't ??

Something like this:

You are not a drop in the ocean; you are the entire ocean in a drop.

Another pointer, you can try to find a solid border of the direct experience ?

Yet another pointer, can a blind person to realize your true nature? Surely.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x