Leo Gura

The Dumbest Conservative Ad Ever

92 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

It would be the end of thousands of species and some ecosystems.

Im sometimes surprise by Leo's comments, you think he would be aware of the dangers of climate change and not shrug it off like that, being a well-read person and all... 2 degrees of climate change could change our entire civilzation as we know it. Floods that submerge entire coastal lines, migrations in the millions because of areas becoming uninhabitable, crop failures, old viruses coming back because of melted ice caps, important species dying out. This could happen in the next 10-20 years, our lifetime!!!

Considering he has such a big audience it seems kind of irresponsible. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

A 2 degree rise in climate is not the end of anything. The Earth has been much hotter than that before and life goes on.

Not sure how many fragile human civilizations existed at these times. Remember the 2015 refugee crisis in Europe? I can't wait for the 2100 Edition, when millions of people will be displaced, because their near-water habitats will be rendered unliveable.
Or maybe we find some functional terraforming, CO2- or methane reducing technology that will save our asses.

6 hours ago, Forestluv said:

This probably sounds hella dumb, not being well educated on this subject....

But... what if a rise in temperature now, helps ward off or push back the next ice age?

We may end up in better shape as a consequence

Pretty sure that was a dumb thing to say... oh well! Hahaha!

6 hours ago, Forestluv said:

Sure, but there are millions of species, and new ecosystems will form, and even new species will arise.

Again, it's all a matter of perspective.

Ecosystems can be rebuilt. Species can even be reverse engineered.

Remember, 99% of species eventually die out. The whole Earth is evolving and manmade climate change is plan of that evolution. Mankind is not some "unnatural" force.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Sure, but there are millions of species, and new ecosystems will form, and even new species will arise.

Remember, 99% of species eventually die out. The whole Earth is evolving and manmade climate change is plan of that evolution. Mankind is not some "unnatural" force.

It reminds of George Carlin. "The planet is fine. The people are fucked". The new ecosystems will form, no doubt, the question is, if they will be suitable for us to live.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I wonder how long humans will continue to exist for.

20 hours ago, Nobody_Here said:

Mother Earth doesn't give a darn about humans and will be around long after we all die.  

That’s merely your imagination

The earth is not in danger, and no serious climate scientist or systems thinker who is working on these issues is suggesting that. This is mostly a threat to the stability of human civilization. How resilient are we if a well expected pandemic stopped growth for many years? If one ship was able to stop a massive portion of world trade probably for weeks? How well are we prepared for much deadlier pandemics, more harsh hurricanes, droughts, mass environmental migration and flooding of highly urbanized coastal areas?

Sure we will probably solve these things in the long run, but rather sooner than later, with minimal human suffering. This requires many tranformations within our societal systems, which we are all a part of. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

2 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

flooding of highly urbanized coastal areas

People gotta spread out more lol

Yes, it will cause problems for humans, and then humans will be forced to adapt and solve those problems. Which is how it's always been for humans. We cause and the solve most of our own problems. So nothing new here.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The ad is so bad it's actually funny. If this is the modern standards of conservativism, then it's not real conservativism.

Why is this thread more a distraction? If there's any value in it, let me know. I'm going back to contemplating something else. Nice distraction.

8 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

People gotta spread out more lol

A classic meme is in order...

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't disagree with those ideas. I was responding to the idea that a 2 degree temperature increase won't end anything. . . It would end lots of things.

What ends and begins after a 2 degree increase is a different discussion. To me, your framing suggests change is change. Yet I would say there is a higher resolution quantitative and qualitative view. For example: there are millions of species, yet there can be very different compositions of millions of species. There could be the extinction of all multi-cellular organisms and we could still maintain the same number of species by increasing the number of uni-cellular species. There is still the same number of species, yet the biodiversity has decreased to only uni-cellular organisms. A reality with a diversity of uni- and multi- cellular organisms is very different than a reality with soley uni-cellular organisms. 

As well, technology might create new realities - yet there are qualitative differences. All animals (except humans) could go extinct and humans could create virtual "animals" and "ecosystems". Or miicrobes could become so dangerous that humans need to create and live within sterile bubbles to survive. . . These are qualitive differences, yet I'm not suggesting a better or worse. Today, the vast majority of humans would find such future realities abhorrent. Yet humans in the future might like virtual plants and animals if that's the reality they are born into. They may see ancient videos of a when there were actual biological giraffes, hawks, eagles and forests. . . and think "they kinda suck, our virtual plants and animals are so much better".

That add could be very easily an SNL sketch.

I almost Can not believe is serious.

This how the post-Trump era looks like.

Wow!

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

From a grand perspective sure this is accurate but it's not really all that helpful for mobilizing the masses to get more conscious about their waste and consumption. This kind of perspective can easily co-opted by some deep stage blue & orange people that will basically say "whatever, if god allows us to consume and pollute the world then it's fine." This line of thinking can really only be truly appreciated once one has gotten to a point of raising their consciousness about the environment. 

Stop worrying about climate change. Just vote Big Dan to congress. He will fix the problem by kicking Nancys commie butt!

Edited by GreenLight

4 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Stop worrying about climate change. Just vote Big Dan to congress. He will fix the problem by kicking Nancys commie butt!

xD

21 hours ago, Forestluv said:

Or miicrobes could become so dangerous that humans need to create and live within sterile bubbles to survive.

Not to completely derail the discussion, but for me, this is the best argument for why there should be mandatory vaccinations for hypercontagious diseases. Letting them just run wild even if they're not very lethal is incredibly irresponsible considering the risk of lethal recombinants which could wipe out the entire planet.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:16 PM, Leo Gura said:

A 1 or 2 degree rise in climate is not gonna kill ya. The Earth is far more resilient than any scientist or hippies understands.

The systemic breakdown is not so massive in the grande scheme of human affairs.

Ecological collapse is reversible.

I get that you're looking at humanity's issue with climate change from a much larger timescale. However, a 1 or 2 degree rise in global average temperatures will absolutely be devasting to human civilization as we know it. Nevermind the fact that once we hit 2 degrees the rate of warming will accelerate exponentially. Yes, Earth will be fine but the structures humanity has built not so much . A rise of 2 degrees in global average temperature will cause food shortages and water scarcity, which will inevitably lead to conflict and the displacement of hundreds of millions of people. And unfortunately those underdeveloped countries (who contributed the least to carbon emissions btw) will bear the full brunt of it. I feel you're speaking from a position of privilege as someone who lives in a highly advanced 1st world country. And honestly I really don't see how 1st world countries will be able to sustain their standard of living while simulataneously spending billions on natural disasters

Earth is resilient but the way we as humans have structured our civilization is not. A new system will have emerge but at the expense of hundreds of millions of lives. 

There are reasons to be concerned. I don't think we should panic but we certainly should approach this issue nonchalantly.

The Green in me is really showing in this post :D

Edited by abundance