Ook

Forum improvements?

39 posts in this topic

This forum is Awesome as it is, all I need is an App with some improved functionality and good user interface, although it's already good.

35 minutes ago, flume said:

I'm all against upvotes, likes and smiley reactions. Let's not turn this into facebook!

I totally agree, then its like we don't treat all ideas and opinions equally even before we read them.

4 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

If you're on PC, you can edit the color and size of the font. If you're on phone, you can use the desktop site to access those options.

I can already edit the color and size. However I wasn't talking about text color. It's about highlight. Highlight is like a big yellow block over a text to make it look prominent 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Add a conscientious message inside or around the comment box with words of commenting wisdom to help guide great conversations.  

This will encourage higher quality commenting and self reflection. It could calm someone down and guide them away from reactionary behavior or promote compassionate or creative responses. 

It needs to be right here next to the comment box always visible to be effective

Example:

• Let your very next communication in this space come from your Highest Self.
  • Before you offer your wisdom to or about others, remember that your perspective is yours, and just one of many.
  • Is this message off topic? If so consider moving to a new thread. 
  • Discern your “emotional buttons,” or the things to which you overreact.
  • Feel your self, feel your ego, feel the self-contraction.
  • Is this constructive and positive?
  • Does this attack the person? If so please consider addressing the ideas or the message itself.
  • Keep in mind that people can be at very different places in life, so your advice may not work for them, try to show compassion and understanding. 
  • Is this really the most insightful response? consider taking a step back, relax, let the idea settle and explore possibilities.

I know i could of benefited from this reminder... 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

17 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

Agreed, everyone has the equal right to be listened to(or read). 

It could be something that could be only seen by the one getting the "upvote" and not anyone else.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Have the featured mega-threads in a more, pull up, type of organized way. Maybe at least have them pinned somewhere. Its suxs when some of the mega-threads sink in the dark and people forget they are there.

Btw I do not like the up-vote stuff... just as I didn't like the reputation system. Its just more unnecessary ego.

Its great that the kinds of features were removed from this type of forum. I am sure even the avatars were on the line, but it probably was going too far.

Ability to change your name, Karma system, that's it, pretty much, from my pov

Edited by Hello from Russia

5 hours ago, Dryas said:

Remove the "HOT!" sign. 

hey minimalist friend ?

16 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

hey minimalist friend ?

It’s not that. It’s just annoying. Probably also contributes an OP having more responses, which makes for a toxic thread sometimes. 

Changes I would like:

• All the featured threads should be pinned to make them easy to access.
  • A stricter policy or ban on non-scientific/occult/pseudoscientific topics. If conspiracy theories are banned, and users who deny enlightenment or promote that reality is not love are not allowed, then this is not a far fetched idea. A stricter policy on such topics may promote a more grounded discussion, discourage wild speculations and claims, and save gullible people from going down belief systems. Besides, many for these topics are not about self-improvement or spirituality.

17 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

I want us to have a protocol for trolls

Say I identify a troll. What should I do?

There is a Report tab on every post. It alerts Mods. It allows you to tell them why you are reporting a post or user. It works. 

10 hours ago, Sempiternity said:

There is a Report tab on every post. It alerts Mods. It allows you to tell them why you are reporting a post or user. It works. 

Yes exactly, if you see a spam post, trolling, hate speech, rasism, drug sourcing, advertising or just anything that is against the guidelines, please use the report button, it is in the upper left corner of each message.

I am also against this like/dislike/heart/smile reaction thing, it just boosts people with dopamine and makes them addicted, that's what these buttons are for at Facebook etc. Maybe you should watch some documentary about how sneaky social media are at manipulating your mind. I think some people get addicted to using this forum even without these features, it wouldn't be a good decision to introduce this again imo.

If everyone was able to change their name at any time, this would make it very difficult for mods to track potentially problematic users. Please understand this. It is not even easy now, it's a lot of work to regulate a forum.

Some system or other for stopping interesting topics degenerating into two people arguing or chatting about uninteresting crap. It's so boring and uninteresting. Or at least a way to keep topics on track - but I know that's like herding cats.

EDIT

Programmer head on: let the poster have the option to limit replies from each individual to say, three comments. That will focus minds. The topic has some icon or other indicating "limited replies in force".

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday

16 hours ago, integral said:

Add a conscientious message inside or around the comment box with words of commenting wisdom to help guide great conversations.  

This will encourage higher quality commenting and self reflection. It could calm someone down and guide them away from reactionary behavior or promote compassionate or creative responses. 

It needs to be right here next to the comment box always visible to be effective

Example:

• Let your very next communication in this space come from your Highest Self.
  • Before you offer your wisdom to or about others, remember that your perspective is yours, and just one of many.
  • Is this message off topic? If so consider moving to a new thread. 
  • Discern your “emotional buttons,” or the things to which you overreact.
  • Feel your self, feel your ego, feel the self-contraction.
  • Is this constructive and positive?
  • Does this attack the person? If so please consider addressing the ideas or the message itself.
  • Keep in mind that people can be at very different places in life, so your advice may not work for them, try to show compassion and understanding. 
  • Is this really the most insightful response? consider taking a step back, relax, let the idea settle and explore possibilities.

I know i could of benefited from this reminder... 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral I agree it's a good idea.

That would probably go some way to stopping mindless comments. I think the wording you gave would need to be made very brief and concise - otherwise people won't bother to read it (and it may not work well on mobile devices). However, self policing won't work all the time, the rowdy ones will just ignore it.

All stories and explanations are false.

@Oliver Saavedra Check out the extension 'Dark Reader'. I've been using it for a while and it gives a nice dark layout for this forum as well.

A block/ignore function would be great. You could just push a button and you wouldn't see anything from that person anymore.