JayG84

Any non-dual "fiction" out there?

23 posts in this topic

Are there any Movies, Shows, or Novels that use non-duality to explain how Reality actually is to people?

Sort of like taking Leo's videos and making a story fit around it.

Kind of like Inception does, but more In line with non-dual concepts?

All the books by Jed Mckenna.

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

I write Nonduality based fiction short stories. Got about 18 so far. Want to compile them into a book of short stories with Nonduality as the connecting theme. 

Pretty sure Jed McKenna is Nonfiction.

Martin Ball has some awesome Sci-Fi Nonduality novels. Check out his website. 

"Revolver" :) A movie about ego-death, it's silly but it depicts the ego and it's shenanigans quite accurately.

Edited by Seraphim

All great works of fiction come from that place, as that is where true creativity is born. 

For example, the Overarching message in Harry Potter is that Love is the most powerful force in the world. 

If that isn’t a non-dual truth than what is? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Mr Nobody, The Truman Show, The Matrix, Peaceful Warrior, Into the Wild, Jim & Andy : The Great Beyond(personal favourite), 

The 1986 movie 'Highlander'. The main character is immortal. He is battling the Kurgan. The Kurgan represents the Highlander's Ego. It's large, dark, destructive, selfish, and likes to indulge in baser animalistic desires. Once he kills his Ego (the Kurgan), he instantly experiences 'The Prize'. He says, while experiencing the Prize "I know everything!", I am everything!".  The Prize is full Nondual Enlightenment.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, an anime

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

7 hours ago, JayG84 said:

Are there any Movies, Shows, or Novels that use non-duality to explain how Reality actually is to people?

Sort of like taking Leo's videos and making a story fit around it.

Kind of like Inception does, but more In line with non-dual concepts?

"The Alchemist" by  Paulo Coelho absolutely recommend, love Coelho, read a lot of his book, but "The Alchemist" is very easy to read with lots of meaning. Full of nice quotes:

“When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.”
― Paulo Coelho

“This is what we call love. When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there's no need at all to understand what's happening, because everything happens within you.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Also Carlos Castaneda, ofc he is the best!!!!! imo who can explain various concept of non-duality.

I believe that "The Little Prince" by  Antoine de Saint-Exupéry as well ( a fairy tale made for kids about friendships and unconditional love, one of the best-selling and most translated books ever published. )

Capture44.PNG

Edited by Galyna

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@JayG84 Neon Genesis Evangelion. It won't make sense why without giving spoilers for the unexpected directions the show takes you in.

SPOILERS AHEAD IN POST

The show is asking the question of, is non-duality better than duality. Would it all be better if everything and everyone collapsed into a singularity of understanding and completeness

This little philosophy is quoted specifically in the show (with an amazing soundtrack) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog's_dilemma

One cold winter's day, a number of porcupines huddled together quite closely in order through their mutual warmth to prevent themselves from being frozen. But they soon felt the effect of their quills on one another, which made them again move apart. Now when the need for warmth once more brought them together, the drawback of the quills was repeated so that they were tossed between two evils, until they had discovered the proper distance from which they could best tolerate one another. Thus the need for society which springs from the emptiness and monotony of men's lives, drives them together; but their many unpleasant and repulsive qualities and insufferable drawbacks once more drive them apart. The mean distance which they finally discover, and which enables them to endure being together, is politeness and good manners. Whoever does not keep to this, is told in England to 'keep his distance.' By virtue thereof, it is true that the need for mutual warmth will be only imperfectly satisfied, but on the other hand, the prick of the quills will not be felt. Yet whoever has a great deal of internal warmth of his own will prefer to keep away from society in order to avoid giving or receiving trouble or annoyance

The hedgehog's dilemma suggests that despite goodwill, human intimacy cannot occur without substantial mutual harm, and what results is cautious behavior and weak relationships. With the hedgehog's dilemma, one is recommended to use moderation in affairs with others both because of self-interest, as well as out of consideration for others.

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Martin Ball has written non dual fiction books

The Oversoul Seven Trilogy, Jane Roberts.

Westworld (tv-series). Also "Devs" (another Tv-series).

American Beauty

2001: A Space Odyssey

Black Mirror, the episode: Hang the DJ (very spiritual if you think deeply about it, hint: just see technology as a methaphor for reality itself)).

I think after my awakening I see spirituality/non-duality in almost all art. Some is just more subtle than others.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

24 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

"Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse is a classic.

Oh yes, it is indeed a classic. Gotta read it again man. totally forgot about it LOL

the book "way of the peacefull warrior" i can recommend too.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

44 minutes ago, Beginner Mind said:

"Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse is a classic.

All novels of Hesse are non-dual fiction. The best one is his masterpiece: The Glass Bead Game.