LfcCharlie4

30 Day Wim Hof Method Challenge

133 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Gneh Onebar yeah man cold exposure is the really fun part, although not many would agree there! 

don’t get me wrong it’s a challenge but it’s a fun one!

Holy shit, did my first cold shower yesterday evening. The water was so fucking cold, that I really had to concentrate on my breath. I did it for like a good thirty seconds. After the shower I had to laugh for a few minutes because I felt so happy that I actually did it... or because of the relief. ;) 

"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything." -- Rupert Spira

Nice to see everyone joining in the WHM wave ?

Little warning - no more than 4 rounds guys, and don't do this underwater!

Happing Hoffing :)

Did the first session:

guided breathing session + 30 seconds cold shower = feeling fucking fresh ?

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

1 hour ago, Gneh Onebar said:

After the shower I had to laugh for a few minutes because I felt so happy that I actually did it... or because of the relief.

If you punch yourself in the nuts, you will be so happy once it's over ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

50 minutes ago, Jkhv1 said:

Little warning - no more than 4 rounds guys, and don't do this underwater!

Challenge accepted

Thanks for making this bro. I've been doing it once in a while, but never 3 rounds and never routinely. I did it this morning and holy shit I feel so much better. It cleared out my sinuses, I have chronic blockage. It put me in a much more clear and "fresh" headspace. My body feels amazing. I did not do the cold shower tho. I got to ease myself into those. It's the absolute last thing I want to do in the morning, but I know you feel great afterwards. 

Been doing WHM every single day for a few months now. For me, it helped physically/mentally tremendously. Also, I think I'm getting addicted to the cold :D

Highly recommend it!

@LfcCharlie4 I actually started doing this a week or two ago. I haven't been doing it every day, but i'm just doing it every now and then for now, usually first thing in the morning. I love the stillness you get after the final exhale and you sit for 2 minutes without any air in the lungs. Such a nice feeling. Is there any clarification on whether you should breath into the stomach or into the lungs? I've yet to find an answer.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

1 hour ago, Space said:

@LfcCharlie4 I actually started doing this a week or two ago. I haven't been doing it every day, but i'm just doing it every now and then for now, usually first thing in the morning. I love the stillness you get after the final exhale and you sit for 2 minutes without any air in the lungs. Such a nice feeling. Is there any clarification on whether you should breath into the stomach or into the lungs? I've yet to find an answer.

in the app it seemed like it’s into the whole belly but that meaning also fully inflating the lungs. downloaded that app a while ago.

hydro therapy is a pretty old medical method - there was a priest in germany who invented a whole concept in the middle ages just about mainly cold hydro therapy. and we all know ice bathing after sauna probably. the breathing technique is there to bring heat to the body - if you would start with cold showers on a cold body it would have a counterproductive effect. although i recommend to wrap up into a  blanket afterwards to get the warmth counterreaction of the body in full effect.

be aware that its also stressful for the body - so if you already have fever it can also mess with temperature balance and put the immune system down. in a healthy system it will bring up natural cortisol level, that’s one of the secrets behind it.

i‘ve known these methods since childhood, have rheumatoid arthritis which doesn’t respond really good to cold hydro therapy - but for the corona case i might also take part in the challenge. just be aware of how your body reacts to it if you have autoimmune disease and it’s getting worse in the beginning could be either going away after a short while or getting worse (if its getting worse you need warmth therapies) - stop if you feel any side effects for a longer period of time - its also medicine not only a zen stick. hope your water is getting cold enough ;)

Edited by remember

16 minutes ago, remember said:

its also medicine not only a zen stick.

God is pretty brilliant to create a Wim Hof to make feeling and connection with the body and the power of nature look so very manly and badass, and therefore productive and profitable. Sheep in wolf's clothing. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

10 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

God is pretty brilliant to create a Wim Hof to make feeling and connection with the body and the power of nature look so very manly and badass, and therefore productive and profitable. Sheep in wolf's clothing. 

i prefer sauna and ice bathing :D but that’s not possible right now... you could also go running in the forrest if that’s still possible for you... to bring the body temp up and the oxygen flowing. pretty much the same effect maybe better air quality.

wim hoff is really practical in the sense that you have that method available without all of that everywhere you go.

Edited by remember

1 hour ago, Space said:

In his mini class he says, that you breath into both, first filling the stomach (lower part of the lungs), then the chest (upper part of the lungs). 

Edited by Gneh Onebar

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you punch yourself in the nuts, you will be so happy once it's over ;)

My brother punched me once in the nuts about 20 years ago… I'm still happy it's over. :D 

I am doing the breathing exercises on and off for couple years. One thing I rediscovered is that it effects my sleeping pattern. In general the breathing exercise gives me around 50% more energy throughout the day. That means I don't get tired at the usual time. I get tired 3 hours later. So I have to adjust to it.

Another effect of the exercise is lower intellectual capacity. It seems like the exercise raises the energy level through tapping into survival mode. In that mode the brain function seems to get lower in the priority hierarchy. So one has to count in the trade off.

I am going to look more in to the Gracie breathing exercise as well. He says with this method the survival mode will not be triggered.

9 minutes ago, Epikur said:

Another effect of the exercise is lower intellectual capacity. It seems like the exercise raises the energy level through tapping into survival mode. In that mode the brain function seems to get lower in the priority hierarchy. So one has to count in the trade off.

I am going to look more in to the Gracie breathing exercise as well. He says with this method the survival mode will not be triggered.

Never heard of him, thank you @Epikur

By the way, I've seen this comment in the Nootropics group in Facebook. I wonder how true is this claim? 

The Wim Hof method is not advised. Cold exposure, yes. His breathwork, no. His breathwork blunts the cytokine response to viruses, toxins, etc. which is basically shutting off your immune system.

@Epikur that’s super interesting but will only work as immune system build up if all three breathing exercises are creating body heat and in combination with water, at least regarding this as an immune system build up against corona - that’s the essence of the application, if you want to push immune system right now.

of course all breathing techniques are also meditative and lung streangthening techniques and have different effects on the body separately. without heat or hydro its not the same effect. so you basically have to find out the differences. 

if you will test all of these - a feedback about these techniques regarding body heat would be pretty cool.

Edited by remember

@Gneh Onebar It's crazy isn't it!!!!

@nistake Glad to hear :)

@Jkhv1 Yep, good points man

@mandyjw Highly disagree, he done this for 20 years+ before he got any recognition, in fact he was depicted as crazy on Dutch TV, it's only the last couple years more and more people have got into it. I would suggest trying it or at least watching Wim before claiming that, seems very harsh :) 

@remember Sauna and Ice Baths are awesome! Although saunas will be closed down for months I imagine :( 

@electroBeam good luck ;) 

@Epikur Hmm thanks for the video, but I haven't noticed that yet, I'm still sleeping around 11PM and waking at 6:30am, defo noticed more energy but not lower intellectual capacity. 

@remember Thanks for the info, and yes ALWAYS listen to your body! 

@en-el hak Interesting, studies on him and his students showed the opposite, so I'd like to see references on that. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

58 minutes ago, remember said:

wim hoff is really practical in the sense that you have that method available without all of that everywhere you go.

Hmm.. good point.

I didn't appreciate his latest video addressing corona virus for reasons you mentioned. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that everyone who discovers his methods is a dumbass like me, and ends up with a mild case of hypothermia once or twice before they get the message that it's about feeling and not forcing yourself to prevail. 

16 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@mandyjw Highly disagree, he done this for 20 years+ before he got any recognition, in fact he was depicted as crazy on Dutch TV, it's only the last couple years more and more people have got into it. I would suggest trying it or at least watching Wim before claiming that, seems very harsh :) 

I'm a big fan of Wim Hof, he's inspired me a lot and I had a big breakthrough after starting the breathing exercises and doing some cold exposure over years. It's just some of the marketing and particularly the assumption he might set people up to make about immunity and invulnerability that I find concern with, especially right now. Your true nature is immunity and invulnerability, but there's no one to own that state, therefore you are also just as susceptible and vulnerable, I think the method teaches this in experience. It sells you one thing, while you actually get another. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw I get your point and I’m sorry about your experience, but I guess it teaches us to listen to our body, and know when enough is enough. 

I understand, but that’s the issue with going mainstream, in a digital world with attention spans of 2 seconds you have to catch people’s attention something like

”Breathe for 10 mins, then have a cold shower and you’ll have more energy and focus and help your immune system” 

doesn’t catch attention like

”How A FREE Breathing Exercise + Shower Method Can Help Make You Immune To Colds and Flus (And Heal 100+ Other Ailments)” 

So, it’s striking that balance, from most of my research the claims seem pretty backed up, but I do see your point big time of course, the funny thing is, he does none of the business work, it’s all his family, and if they have a % stake in the $$ that could be why? Although that’s just speculation.

As with any teaching, take what serves you and helps you and leave the rest :) 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Wim Hof is a badass mofo.  Even after showing evidence to scientists and showing that his students can do what he teaches there are still people that come up with excuses.  He's the real deal.