Joel3102

Richard Dawkins on Joe Rogan

34 posts in this topic

Dawkins has just gone on Joe Rogan, might be worth a look to see how the materialistic mind thinks

Rogan asks him about psychedelics around the 8:00 mark, and around 11:00 he seems certain consciousness is the brain :P

Edited by Joel3102

1 hour ago, Joel3102 said:

Dawkins has just gone on Joe Rogan, might be worth a look to see how the materialistic mind thinks. Rogan asks him about psychedelics around the 8:00 mark, and around 11:00 he seems certain consciousness is the brain :P

Are you conscious if consciousness is in the brain or not? Do you REALLY know? I would be careful approaching this work with too much certainty, if I'm not really sure to the guts-level. Surely Richard Dawkins is not merely an example of flawed thinking. 

That DNA-tie is quite a statement :D Reminds me of Christians wearing cross-neclases. It is evident before 10-minute mark how utterly clueless he is about spirituality though(trying to fit punishing-the-body spiritual practises into some biological models).

Edited by molosku

Forgive him father, for he knows not what he says.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It's so funny how his entire personality is structured after the rationalist ideal that he is clinging to. Arrogance concealed as humility, dogma played up as reason.

The way he speaks, the words he chooses, even the tone of his voice are all part of the act. Even his pose during the interview.

The reason itself is not actually the problem with rationalists, it is the attachment to trying to come off as reasonable at all costs, even at the cost of truth. I can't believe how cliche this guy is, it's like they got him right out of the rationalists factory. :D

This is the kind of person who would have been preaching catholicism during the "enlightenment" revolution, scoffing at the ignorance of the anti-churchlings. Exact same tone of voice, exact same pose, just that the story is a different one.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

This guy was my hero as a teenager. Now I can hardly listen to him. But I will try and get through the episode. Will be a test indeed. Thank God for growth.

Used to watch all the "Dawkins owns creationist" compilations on youtube! Fun stuff I have to admit :D
Still think he is an incredible smart human being who wants the best for people and the world in general. Sadly, he is very rigid in his ways, which prevents him from opening his mind to new possibilities. Hopefully he will take psychodelics at least once before he dies! 

I cant really be mad at him though! I found out about this whole spiritualty-thing by complete chance and in a period where I had a very open mind. Others, including almost all my friends, didnt have that luck. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

misread as david hawkins and got all excited bc the guy is dead and somehow got on joe rogan before that but nope

2 hours ago, Scholar said:

It's so funny how his entire personality is structured after the rationalist ideal that he is clinging to. Arrogance concealed as humility, dogma played up as reason.

The way he speaks, the words he chooses, even the tone of his voice are all part of the act. Even his pose during the interview.

The reason itself is not actually the problem with rationalists, it is the attachment to trying to come off as reasonable at all costs, even at the cost of truth. I can't believe how cliche this guy is, it's like they got him right out of the rationalists factory. :D

This is the kind of person who would have been preaching catholicism during the "enlightenment" revolution, scoffing at the ignorance of the anti-churchlings. Exact same tone of voice, exact same pose, just that the story is a different one.

Well put. I can't get over that tie, though. 

There is nothing wrong with him ....

I like what he says about beliefs, tribalism, placebo and some other concepts. 

Unless one does not have direct evidence of god one cannot say it exists so he say god does not exist. :D 

@Leo Gura Why don't you contact Joe and get your ass on line? 

2 hours ago, Cocolove said:

misread as david hawkins and got all excited bc the guy is dead and somehow got on joe rogan before that but nope

I always mistake one for the other.

This guy is a fraud.  He made money on stating obvious things about mainstream religion and created a belief system on something he has no idea about.  

3 hours ago, undeather said:

Still think he is an incredible smart human being who wants the best for people and the world in general. Sadly, he is very rigid in his ways, which prevents him from opening his mind to new possibilities.

But notice that this was true also for the cardinals who ordered to slaughter the heretics. They were incredbily smart human beings who wanted the best for people and the world in general. Sadly they were very rigid in their ways, which prevented them from opening their minds to new possibilities.

Glory to Israel

Joe does great in his dialogue with Dawkins.

He sets an example of how to comfortably talk to people who hold different beliefs than us.

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

6 minutes ago, Dan502 said:

Joe does great in his dialogue with Dawkins.

He sets an example of how to comfortably talk to people who hold different beliefs than us.

Yeah, he's the master of that! Something I'd like to get better at myself.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

He has had his new book translated and PDF's sent to stage blue countries like the middle east. Moving them up the spiral from blue to orange is a good thing surely?