Inliytened1

I AM NOTHING

240 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Anna1 said:

Hi there, 

A few things, first it's not Adwaita (as David has been saying), it's Advaita. I've been cringing each time it's been written.

actually the spelling 'Advaita' is like western/English version of the word.

'Adwaita' is closer to the original regional/bengal pronunciation. If you take the spelling more closer to the actual bengal pronunciation it becomes something like 'Audoito'.

Same thing with the word 'Brahman'. If you try to make a spelling closest to the regional pronunciation it becomes something like 'Brommoh'

But these literal words are almost impossible to accurately pronounciate by a native english speaking tongue. That's why all these hindu/buddhist terms have been adjusted for western pronunciation.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

14 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Anna1 Vedanta has a word for the small self/ego? I can't remember that part well.... Atman is like Brahman or God...

Hi!

You are probably thinking of the "subtle body" (In Vedanta there are 3 bodies: the gross, subtle and causal bodies).

Yes, atman is the portion of Brahman within/ through the gross body.

In Vedanta, God is called Isvara, which is awareness or Brahman "with" attributes.

However, Brahman/Self/awareness/absolute  is "without" attributes, it's nirguna Brahman, meaning without the gunas (energies). 

So, there is a distinction made, but it's complicated and can be hard to fully understand.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

11 minutes ago, Preetom said:

Adwaita' is closer to the original regional/bengal pronunciation. If you take the spelling more closer to the actual bengal pronunciation it become 'Audoito'.

I understand that's the pronunciation, but it's not the correct spelling. David was spelling Buddha, Buddah earlier and so I assumed he isn't spelling correctly, because he doesn't know how to spell it. Maybe he just spells as he's pronuncing....ok.

Btw, the spelling is Sanskrit 

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

44 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Anna1 Vedanta has a word for the small self/ego? I can't remember that part well..

yeah they have one. It's called 'Aham' which means 'I' or more accurately 'Ahamkara' which literally means "the feeling or sense of I". That sense of being located and personally owning your experience. Its right there!

Vedanta categories this ego as one of the modes of mind just like other modes e.g thoughts, intellect, tendencies, memory etc.

44 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Anna1 

I thought it was anatman or anatta, but that's no self from buddhism.

^_^

More accurately anatta or anatman means non-self. 

No-self is actually a negative, void term empty of meaning, an oxymoron or contradiction of terms. It is as redundant and non-sensical as the word ''jdjwjsudjwosodj"

But the word anatta has a positive significance. It means all non-self stuff; all things that are NOT the Self aka all objects of Absolute Consciousness. While Absolute Conscioisness is the real Subject or the Self

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

12 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

I understand that's the pronunciation, but it's not the correct spelling. David was spelling Buddha, Buddah earlier and so I assumed he isn't spelling correctly, because he doesn't know how to spell it. Maybe he just spells as he's pronuncing....ok.

Okay no biggie ?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

6 minutes ago, Preetom said:

'Ahamkara' which literally means "the feeling or sense of I".

Yes! ...I'm rusty. Hehe

"The subtle body is referred to as the “inner instrument” and is composed of four different components: the mind, intellect, ego, and memory. Though what Vedanta specifically refers to as the mind is only one component of this “inner instrument,” sometimes the whole instrument itself is referred to as the mind. The subtle body is what is the closest equivalent to what is commonly called the soul."

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Thanks! Very helpful. I think all those concepts help to understand how reality works. I think Advaita Vedanta is so deep and has a so good understanding of how the mind works.

I want to read the Upanishads. 

@Preetom Thanks for that explanation too, very interesting. 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@abrakamowse Your welcome! ? 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Anyone interested in learning Advaita Vedanta from a teacher who has been teaching it for 45 years- James Swartz. Here is a link to YT 16 part series for free. If not, that's cool too. 

*Tap the three lines at the top left for additional videos.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Great! I found him also on the internet. I have his book called "The Essence of Enlightenment" He's really good.

I ordered it some month ago, I have to finish it. The problem is that I also ordered I am that, and I am reading both at the same time Lol

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Natasha thanks for sharing your experience.  Thats beautiful and congratulations.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@abrakamowse Gotcha,  I had found him 3 yrs ago. I read his book also. He has tons of email Satsangs on his website shiningworld.com , if interested. They are really good.

Trying to read both books is a tall order..lol. Good Luck.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

2 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

@Anna1 Thanks! Very helpful. I think all those concepts help to understand how reality works. I think Advaita Vedanta is so deep and has a so good understanding of how the mind works.

I want to read the Upanishads. 

@Preetom 

vedanta is very very cut throat, logical and discriminative. There is no place for woo-woo, feelings, beliefs or any subjective bias.

If something cant survive elaborate, surgical scrutiny, its not even worth bothering about-that's the kind of attitude Advaita Vedanta has. And hence it still stands tall amidst the test of time.

And its no wonder why it appeals so much to the modern, rational minds. If a visionary scientist/intellectual ever roams in any religious realm, its almost always in nondual side of things.

Rupert spira often says that he personally believes that we as humanity is finally culturally ripe for the direct path of non-dual teachings without a bunch of middlemen, dogma, stories, temples, authorities, history, holy books, tradition etc.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

51 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Anna1I think Advaita Vedanta is so deep and has a so good understanding of how the mind works.

@Preetom 

oh and another thing to mention, Vedanta almost gives zero fuck about the mind and its idiosyncrasies. It gives zero fuck about morality, values and how the state of affair in the world 'should' be like.

Mind is the realm for psychology. In other parts of Vedas, all things about human endeavors are discussed.

But Vedanta is all about and only about the hot and narrow pursuit of the nature of Reality and nothing else.

Or as Jed McKenna puts it, its about writing 'further' on the bus and driving the damn thing full speed up the giant's ass; come what may; let all hell break loose lol

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

9 minutes ago, Preetom said:

oh and another thing to mention, Vedanta almost gives zero fuck about the mind and its idiosyncrasies. It gives zero fuck about morality, values and how the state of affair in the world 'should' be like.

Mind is the realm for psychology. In other parts of Vedas, all things about human endeavors are discussed.

But Vedanta is all about and only about the hot and narrow pursuit of the nature of Reality and nothing else.

Or as Jed McKenna puts it, its about writing 'further' on the bus and driving the damn thing full speed up the giant's ass; come what may; let all hell break loose lol

lol

@David Hammond First of all these are not Leo's ideas.  That's a trap you fell into because of close mindedness and a clinging to your religious beliefs. 

The Absolute is the Absolute.  Period.  There is no Leo.  Get that out of your head if you want enlightenment.  You are self deceived.  And that goes for anyone out there falling into the same trap right now.  That will cause doubt and prevent enlightenment.

Here's the bottom line Dave.

Truth is Truth.  Open your mind and stop creating dualities.  Religion itself is a duality contrasting no religion.

You still need a lot more consciousness my good man.  But I'm 6 years older so you have time to catch up.  

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Lol, good ol' Jed. He puts it out there "no holds barred" style. Hell of a good writer too.

If your name is on the guest list, No one can take you higher
Everybody says I've got... great balls of fire!

@Inliytened1

14 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@David Hammond First of all these are not Leo's ideas.  That's a trap you fell into because of close mindedness and a clinging to your religious beliefs. 

Yup, true. Beleifs, concepts, philosophy, ideas are not it. You can become actual Absolute and yes you Will pay price with death of David. You Will experience your own death during meditation for it. 

The Absolute is the Absolute.  Period.  There is no Leo.  Get that out of your head if you want enlightenment.  You are self deceived.  And that goes for anyone out there falling into the same trap right now.  That will cause doubt and prevent enlightenment.

This, nothing to add. 

Here's the bottom line Dave.

Truth is Truth.  Open your mind and stop creating dualities.  Religion itself is a duality contrasting no religion.

Truth is Truth you can only become damn thing because it is you bottom line

You still need a lot more consciousness my good man.  But I'm 6 years older so you have time to catch up.  

Yes pure consciousness leads to God realization. 

@Inliytened1 You're right Dave (I'd like to use your actual name if that's okay).

You and David are talking about the same thing from different angles, due to different teaching methods, that's all.

David was talking about integrating mystical experiences with mundane life 'samsara'. He's done with enlightenment as an understanding of God and the self (theory), and right now working on the practical side of it (practice). So, basically that's also what you're trying say right (Inliytened1)?

I assume David is having a hard time actualising his realisations in the mundane everyday life, that's why he's projecting that on us here.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly @David Hammond

@Truth Addict He is not yet conscious of the mystical nature of reality.  Its a mechanical.  It does not need a mechanism.

It's infinite.

He is still stuck in rationalism.  That's really the bottom line.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.