Shaun

Why care about the environment?

66 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A few years ago, I bought an electric car, got solar panels and recently went vegetarian. I then ask myself why did I even bother? The nature of reality is just perfection/mind anyway so nothing can really be gained or lost. We are here to experience and do what we want. Leo could afford an electric car but probably doesn't have one. I think he also eats meat which I am not judging him for. From a higher perspective than the stage green I am at, does all this caring about the environment stuff even matter?

Edited by Shaun

"The narcissist becomes one with everything, because the narcissist is everything and everything is the narcissist" -Sam Vaknin

Because it's healthier for everyone, including yourself.

If your health does not matter to you, then, yeah, why even bother?

Thats easy to say when youre comfy. Zen devilry I believe its called. 

It does matter. But we can't really be green if we deny the other colors in the rainbow as valid choices. You have to choose green as your favorite color, because you love it. Not because the other colors are the wrong choices.  

Light on Earth The power of love came into me,
and I became fierce like a lion,
then tender like the evening star.” - Rumi

because we are nature itself. being harmful to the environment is just like being a destructive entity in your body (virus, bacteria etc).

unborn Truth

From my perspective just now, I love the environment and do all I can to reduce my impact. As people go further up the spiral into the higher stages, I fear that the environment will not get the care it needs due to the everything is perfect perspective and people will just do as they please, like they do now.

"The narcissist becomes one with everything, because the narcissist is everything and everything is the narcissist" -Sam Vaknin

@Shaun

I understand your fears and concerns, but that's not the case.

Conscious people are not irresponsible, they care without suffering.

Everything is perfect, and yet it can always get better.

There's no end to perfection.

❤️

23 minutes ago, Shaun said:

From my perspective just now, I love the environment and do all I can to reduce my impact. As people go further up the spiral into the higher stages, I fear that the environment will not get the care it needs due to the everything is perfect perspective and people will just do as they please, like they do now.

The circle of concern grows as you move up the spiral. With enlightenment you literally ARE the environment so how can you neglect it. 

All your actions have direct and indirect consequences for you. They can either cause joy or suffering. As your consciousnesses rises and expands, you become more aware of those consequences. Why cause yourself and others unnecessary suffering? Even someone else's suffering, is suffering for you.

Don't eat soup with chopsticks. Pick up the bowl and drink.

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

We are here to experience and do what we want.

Sure, from a self-centered perspective. Yet depending on the context, self-centered wants can have a negative impact to others and one's environment. 

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

From a higher perspective than stage green, does all this caring about the environment stuff even matter?

Yes. 

Taking on that perspective, 'nothing gained or lost', you have to take that language full circle. Duality is Nonduality. We aren't here to avoid dualities. Do you still brush your teeth? Why don't you go hurt someone? There's no freedom without law. 

A little further, outside of gain and loss, maybe we just do things because we have the choice.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

A few years ago, I bought an electric car, got solar panels and recently went vegetarian. I then ask myself why did I even bother? The nature of reality is just perfection/mind anyway so nothing can really be gained or lost. We are here to experience and do what we want. Leo could afford an electric car but probably doesn't have one. I think he also eats meat which I am not judging him for. From a higher perspective than the stage green I am at, does all this caring about the environment stuff even matter?

You don't have to care, but you do because you are human and so you care about your survival and reproduction instinctively. Also, If you have a life purpose, it probably implies the world existing in some form or fashion.

I don't think you can let go of the need you feel to protect the environment without letting go of your need to survive first. I don't suggest letting go of your need to survive and starving to death while meditating. (Although I don't think you'll ever get there even with hundred of years of meditation!) Instead, go ahead and neurotically accomplish your life-purpose, while caring about the survival, happiness and peace of your community!

Edited by Winter

@Shaun You are misunderstanding what "everything is perfect" means. It does not mean that you don't take action to avoid catastrophes.

You don't jump off a tall building and while you're falling tell yourself "everything's perfect". That would be foolishness.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

@Shaun The environment is the air that you breathe, the oceans in which you swim, the food that you consume and many more things.

At the end of the day, environment is about quality of life. It makes sense to care about it to make ensure decent living conditions in the future.

Yes in the ultimate sense, it doesn't matter if we live well or not, but I want to continue to be able to breathe clean air, and that also doesn't matter in the ultimate sense.

So, the fact that everything is already perfect to God is not an excuse for inaction.

Hard times create strong men. 
Strong men create good times. 
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create hard times.

The only reason you are alive is because of the environment. Destroy the environment, no life.

To put in another perspective, I'd say just do what you want. The destination for humanity is unanimous enlightenment and everything happens of its (God's) accord anyway, so just do you bro. Don't worry about conforming to any way of living that doesn't resonate with your being 

Thanks for clearing that one up. No, I am not going to go and buy a rolling coal truck or stop my positive contributions. I've just been feeling extremely nihilistic over the past few months with all the studies of nonduality I've been doing. I have also been getting trapped in solipsistic delusions, which I hope are delusions.

Well reusable bags and Priuses don't help the environment. Human population decline and new technology to pollute less, and clean up pollution will. Consumer choices have negligible effect, so unless you're an engineer, really the greenest thing you can do is just never reproduce.

I care because I actually have to drink the water and breathe the air on this planet. 

On 5/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, XYZ said:

Well reusable bags and Priuses don't help the environment. Human population decline and new technology to pollute less, and clean up pollution will. Consumer choices have negligible effect, so unless you're an engineer, really the greenest thing you can do is just never reproduce.

I care because I actually have to drink the water and breathe the air on this planet. 

I will not be reproducing as I can't be arsed with all the expense and hassle. I just want a simple life with as few responsibilities as possible so I can focus on spirituality.