theking00

Can you live without an ego ?

26 posts in this topic

Any system that seeks self-survival and self-interest can be thought to have an Ego.  Any system that has preferences about reality and seeks to manifest those preferences in reality can be thought to have an Ego.  Any Complex Adaptive System can be thought to have an Ego.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_adaptive_system

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Just now, Rinne said:

The crazy thing is. Its easier to live without a ego. 

Flow state of being! ?

What is the best way to get rid off the ego ? 

Edited by theking00

11 minutes ago, theking00 said:

You could do it temporarily with psychedelics. 

I wouldn’t pursue a goal of getting rid of an ego permanently . That will setup conflict and could actually strenghten the ego. I think its better to detach and disidentify from the ego. It will still make appearances within the conscious field, yet the relationship with it totally changes. Very few beings totally purify the mind-body of egoic Impulses permanently. I suppose it’s possible after 30 years or so of intensive work in the right environment. 

28 minutes ago, theking00 said:

Directly learn as much about it as you can possibly know. What feeds your story? Gives you an identity? What makes you, you? What aspects of yourself have you pushed away? What does your interpersonal relationships teach you about you? (Notice your resistances, fears, triggers, judgments, and feelings) 

its all about learning how the mind works so you can be completely whole 

also it shouldn’t be thought of as something to get rid of 

Edited by DrewNows

1 hour ago, theking00 said:

The goal is not to get rid of the ego. The goal is to have a healthy ego.

If you didn't have an ego, for example, you wouldn't feed yourself. 

@Joseph Maynor I'm inclined to have this view of ego, as insight into not-self/non-duality/Self does not remedy the more subtle(and tricky) aspects of our conditioning, as you mentioned (primal fear responses, physical desires, preferences etc). As such, letting go of ego fully would mean a lack of desire for any conditioned phenomena -- in Buddhism, Nirvana is described the as liberation from repeated rebirth in Samsara. Using your description, would this be 'no longer being a system with an adaptive preference'?  

Develop the ego but also develop the ability to look past it into no ego.

Some people say you can only have ego or no ego but what if you simultaneously have both perspectives?

@theking00 It depends on how you define ego. It seems like there is alot if diffrent views on what ego is and I guess that's why it is so much debate going on in many of the threads about the ego.

I define ego as the  I-thought that arises. "I should do this""I should do that" "I am good" "I am bad" and then there is all the feelings based around the I-thought which also could be defined to be ego-based. 

Could you live without those? I probaböy could. And I wpuld probably have a life with less suffering without them. :)

1 hour ago, WelcometoReality said:

@theking00 It depends on how you define ego. It seems like there is alot if diffrent views on what ego is and I guess that's why it is so much debate going on in many of the threads about the ego.

I define ego as the  I-thought that arises. "I should do this""I should do that" "I am good" "I am bad" and then there is all the feelings based around the I-thought which also could be defined to be ego-based. 

Could you live without those? I probaböy could. And I wpuld probably have a life with less suffering without them. :)

To do that you would probably have to give up on all thoughts, as thoughts in general have I attached to them. 

The way I see it is that "I" experience the brain that produce thoughts. The error is when "I" tricks myself into believing I am these thoughts and so the ego is created which is an illusion. You can undo that trick and thus still experience the thought but "you" know that it is not you who is doing the thinking... You could also say the Ego exist and you might not make it dissapear, instead you won the poker game by raising cause you know the ego is bluffing. In a way you are still doing the thinking since you are everything and nothing. Similar to: You have free will and you don´t have it. Reality is an illusion and it´s real.
It´s impossible to get if you aren´t truly enlightened....and I far from get it so don´t listen to me ;-) so all this discussion is kinda useless but still fun in a similar way which is useful :)

1 hour ago, purerogue said:

To do that you would probably have to give up on all thoughts, as thoughts in general have I attached to them. 

It could probably still be useful as a calculator if I forgot to bring my phone with me. 

All living organisms have an ego. The will to live is the foundation of every ego. Dont believe me? Just observ your ego when you think youre dying