winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

3,310 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bauer1977 said:

Hey Winterkight, I know I said I wouldn't likely be back, as I truly believed that once I was able to comprehend God as every "thing", as well as being the will that drives it all, I didn't think there could be anything else to discuss. But, something new has developed. I am hoping you can help me with it.

I am still not "doing" anything, and my center is with the "I" as the observer at all times now. But something new has happened while doing Self-Inquiry the last couple of days. When deep within it, my center appears to be behind the "I". From my perspective the "I" appears as a beam of light (awareness) from out of nothingness directly in front of me. When looking to the side, there are dozens of other beams of awareness appearing out of nothingness as well. They are all pointing outward, they are at different heights, but all appear to be at the same depth, which is a depth just above my position, which puts me at a slightly greater depth within, or as, nothingness. Given my limited knowledge on the matter, this should be impossible, but any attempts to try and return to the level of "I" have so far been unsuccessful. Is this just a matter of imagination, or is there something to it. What can you tell me about it if anything?

There's a misconception here -- that there is a "level of the I." There is no such level, actually. That's precisely the misconception that self-inquiry is trying to dispel. Basically you (and everyone else) has confused some subtle perceptual or psychological phenomenon with the I.

To whom is this beam of light and these other beams occurring? Someone or something is observing those. That's the I feeling, whether you call it that or not.

Hold to that unswervingly and try to feel what it is that that is.

And if that becomes a beam or something else, then notice what that occurs to. That's how you go deeper and deeper -- until there is silent peace and clarity, with no more doubts and questions.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can put "God" in words = awarness without objective qualities, labels, jugements, peacefull unlimited space, here and now? 🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, winterknight said:

There's a misconception here -- that there is a "level of the I." There is no such level, actually. That's precisely the misconception that self-inquiry is trying to dispel. Basically you (and everyone else) has confused some subtle perceptual or psychological phenomenon with the I.

To whom is this beam of light and these other beams occurring? Someone or something is observing those. That's the I feeling, whether you call it that or not.

Hold to that unswervingly and try to feel what it is that that is.

And if that becomes a beam or something else, then notice what that occurs to. That's how you go deeper and deeper -- until there is silent peace and clarity, with no more doubts and questions.

Thanks, I thought you would say something like that. The whole thing felt wrong to me. More like imagination than experience. The source of my misconception is no doubt from all the literature I have read over the years regarding God Consciousness and the supposed ultimate experience of being "everything". Is all that type of thing a false narrative?

Edited by Bauer1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bauer1977 said:

Thanks, I thought you would say something like that. The whole thing felt wrong to me. More like imagination than experience. The source of my misconception is no doubt from all the literature I have read over the years regarding God Consciousness and the supposed ultimate experience of being "everything". Is all that type of thing a false narrative?

Well, it's just a pointer -- useful as far as it goes, but ultimately false. Or alternatively, there might be various "experiences" of unity -- but they are not the final truth.

The real thing can only accurately be expressed in silence.


Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, winterknight said:

Well, it's just a pointer -- useful as far as it goes, but ultimately false. Or alternatively, there might be various "experiences" of unity -- but they are not the final truth.

The real thing can only accurately be expressed in silence.

You know, that's the exact conclusion that I had been starting to consider of late. The fact that you just confirmed it helps me a lot. Thanks again for your help Winterknight, your time and effort is appreciated as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@winterknight Leo often talk about how to go deeper and deeper Into the enlightenment experiences and to discover deeper states "within" the enlightenment. Do you have anything to say about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hsinav said:

@winterknight Leo often talk about how to go deeper and deeper Into the enlightenment experiences and to discover deeper states "within" the enlightenment. Do you have anything to say about that?

Well, the mind can become quieter and quieter, and there can be all kinds of 'experiences' as it does so... but enlightenment is one, and it is not a state at all -- it is and always has been the case.


Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24-2-2019 at 0:29 AM, winterknight said:

There's a misconception here -- that there is a "level of the I." There is no such level, actually. That's precisely the misconception that self-inquiry is trying to dispel. Basically you (and everyone else) has confused some subtle perceptual or psychological phenomenon with the I.

To whom is this beam of light and these other beams occurring? Someone or something is observing those. That's the I feeling, whether you call it that or not.

Hold to that unswervingly and try to feel what it is that that is.

And if that becomes a beam or something else, then notice what that occurs to. That's how you go deeper and deeper -- until there is silent peace and clarity, with no more doubts and questions.

Do you recommend attaining realization with this method for everyone?

Also, my experience makes me say there is no 'observer' or 'observered', there is just the appearance or experience, so these questions like 'what does experience appear to' get hard, or a bit frustrating to follow. Could the inquiry from the question 'what is this appearing to?' be replaced by 'what is the context for this/experience?' or 'what does this appear in?', as how I understand it it must be more like consciousness should be the paper and perception the words written on it.

Thank you, appreciated

Edit: When being in the place of 'knowing experience', it feels comfortable to be there, and a (subtle) sense of blissfullness can come up. Is that the I feel you talk about?

Edited by Waken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2019 at 8:29 PM, winterknight said:

There's a misconception here -- that there is a "level of the I." There is no such level, actually. That's precisely the misconception that self-inquiry is trying to dispel. Basically you (and everyone else) has confused some subtle perceptual or psychological phenomenon with the I.

To whom is this beam of light and these other beams occurring? Someone or something is observing those. That's the I feeling, whether you call it that or not.

Hold to that unswervingly and try to feel what it is that that is.

And if that becomes a beam or something else, then notice what that occurs to. That's how you go deeper and deeper -- until there is silent peace and clarity, with no more doubts and questions.

Something that helped me was to ask " Am I aware ?" and then trying to be aware that I am aware, and trying to hold onto it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Waken said:

Do you recommend attaining realization with this method for everyone?

Well, technically I don't just recommend self-inquiry by itself, I recommend it in the context of a larger path, one which includes having a decent intellectual framework and being honest about your desires.

Quote

 

Also, my experience makes me say there is no 'observer' or 'observered', there is just the appearance or experience, so these questions like 'what does experience appear to' get hard, or a bit frustrating to follow. Could the inquiry from the question 'what is this appearing to?' be replaced by 'what is the context for this/experience?' or 'what does this appear in?', as how I understand it it must be more like consciousness should be the paper and perception the words written on it.

 

If there is no observer or observed then who is it that has the desire for realization?

If there is no desire -- then that means there is peace -- then simply stay with that. If there is desire, then inquire into who has it.

In other words, either there is peace and clarity or there isn't. If there isn't, inquire into who is unclear and dissatisfied. If there is peace, then there will be no one to ask these questions.

Quote

 

Edit: When being in the place of 'knowing experience', it feels comfortable to be there, and a (subtle) sense of blissfullness can come up. Is that the I feel you talk about?

 

I don't know what you mean by "knowing experience," but if there a place of clarity & peace where you can still go about your daily life in that, then yes, stay with that.

1 hour ago, Dumb Enlightened said:

Something that helped me was to ask " Am I aware ?" and then trying to be aware that I am aware, and trying to hold onto it all the time.

Sure, that can work too, but the inquiry into the "I" is important because that is the construct which is dissatisfied and which desires and which thinks it does things. So it has to be seen for what it really is.


Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aeris Not all of them do.

Usually if you find something good you wanna share it, even if you find super funny meme you sending it to your friends so imagine you finding solution to literally all human suffering. 

Edited by wavydude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is a life purpose basically a distraction from doing the actual work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Aakash said:

is a life purpose basically a distraction from doing the actual work? 

depend if your life purpose involve true knowing or staying deluded.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKTpfRakdO4

Nature is a system and everything that ain't love has to be removed or put in the trash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Aakash said:

is a life purpose basically a distraction from doing the actual work? 

Depends. You have to follow what your honest desire is. Some people actually do have a dream that they need to honor and acknowledge and pursue -- and they should. Being honest about your desire and following it is the work.

But for some people, their life purpose may be primarily to investigate themselves spiritually. And if that's the case, then feeling the need to come up with "some other" life purpose may be untrue to your actual feelings and desires.

The key is emotional honesty: being honest about what you do feel and want, not what you "should" feel and want.


Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@winterknight you talk about how you have in the past tried to teach and talk about enlightenment to some people, but they hadn't seemed to believe you, "because you didn't have the right personality" as you mentioned.

why don't you work on that shouldn't enlightenment make it effortless to shape and mold your personality? <---- this is my question

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mezanti said:

@winterknight you talk about how you have in the past tried to teach and talk about enlightenment to some people, but they hadn't seemed to believe you, "because you didn't have the right personality" as you mentioned.

why don't you work on that shouldn't enlightenment make it effortless to shape and mold your personality? <---- this is my question

No, it doesn't. Enlightenment has nothing to do with freedom to shape and mold your personality; it is the recognition that you are not your personality.


Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now