dude

Shamanic Breathing Mega-Thread

404 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Charlotte said:

@Samra "Low carbon dioxide levels lead to narrowing of the blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. This reduction in blood supply to the brain leads to symptoms like lightheadedness and tingling in the fingers. Severe hyperventilation can lead to loss of consciousness."

Referring to hyperventilation.

I remember reading this a couple of years ago. I don't know what the hell I was doing with my breath being silly or trying stupid stuff and I googled it. I wondered what the hell was this reaction dizzy. Ever since knowing about losing consciousness I have been avoiding breathing rapidly like the plague. It is actually kinda hard to do this exercise because of that I think. I pushed 10 minutes yesterday instead of the 2 that I wasn't able to pass before yesterday.

I am gonna try again and see what happens. I think I'm just being negative and overthinking this shit pretty fucking hard.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

29 minutes ago, Phrae said:

think I'm just being negative and overthinking this shit pretty fucking hard.

I genuinely don't see this as being negative, being cautious over a technique that limits your brain of oxygen is being mature surely? ?

Friend says: "eat this berry I just picked from the forest? I don't know if it's poisonous or not" Would you say to hell with it and eat it?

5 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Nobody has even got any results, man this feels like bullshit and saying my ego is tricking me might also be bs

Results to some of us may not be results for others.

For me personally, it's been surfacing a lot of deep fears. This resulted in me feeling like shit these last three days. And that's exactly the result I was looking for. Now I can work through those layers that would otherwise have been hidden from me.

Furthermore, during the breathing excersise I have released tensions in the body and had a total silent mind. So yeah... I don't know what results you're looking for... But there's more than enough being posted on here.

Edited by DoubleYou

@moon777light Sure, it's not too bad. The best part is, you can stop doing it whenever you want to. There's total control in that regard.

@brovakhiin I've done many OSHO dynamic meditations and they are effective for emotional purging, but it is more like an addition to therapy. Breathwork is way, way better for transcendent experiences. During dynamic, I have tapped into my deepest primordial state of being, my inner animal, but I have never absorbed into the infinite doing OSHO's meditation. It happened on my second attempt with breathwork.

Edited by Spacious

The logos is truth oriented to love, and love is the desire for being to flourish.

Jordan B Peterson

I've done 30 minutes while listening to northern shamanic drums.

Felt tingling on my face, hands, legs and stomach. Legs got kind of tired. 30 minutes was easy to do physically for me, so I think I'll move to 40 minutes next week. Emotionally I did not notice anything very special. Time passed fast. No visuals with open or closed eyes.

However, after doing this practice, I meditated. There were definitely less monkey mind, more patience and more calmness.     

On 4/9/2018 at 3:33 PM, Phrae said:

I wasn't able to do 5 minutes. I have fear that something is going to happen to me. The first thing that happens is coldness behind my eyes it feels weird. 

Can someone link proof that this is safe for the average person that doesn't have problems? I will try to push it further later today but I want the assurance to be able to do it more.

Sigh I have this attitude towards just breathing. What the hell would I do if it were psychedelics? xD

I don't remember if I pushed "later today" I shouldn't lie like that. I used to not lie and I was more effective and my words really had a force to them. I am sorry I lied here.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

@Leo Gura what's the point of the tribal drumming music? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I did it earlier tonight, only lasted around 10 minutes, but wow I was quite surprised of the physiological sensations. My mouth went tingly, the muscles in my lips kept tightening and relaxing,. Arms and legs went tingly, and my body sort of stiffened when moving. I didn't notice any psychological differences except for a short period of calmness 5-10 post breathing. Although the breathing was only 10 minutes I checked my timer at 6 and a half minutes due to the sudden sensations and anxiousness that rose. 

I'm considering doing tomorrow at 10 minutes and then breaking it up weekly like Leo suggested. I see large potential in this excercise, after having explicit experiences in a minimal time period.

any tips or shared experiences would be great as I would like to improve time duriatiob and continue this practice.

@Leo Gura do you believe this could be used before meditation to help initiate a more extensive session? If so, could it be done daily before each meditation session? For example 5-10 minutes before a 20 minute meditation session. 

Had to swallow a few times kinda fucked up my rythm.

Euphoria passed quick.

Edited by mikeyy

19 minutes ago, mikeyy said:

Had to swallow a few times kinda fucked up my rythm.

Euphoria passed quick.

Just keep going and get back into rythm.

The effects last 20-30 minutes for me.

With meditation it can take a while to get into a no-mind state, with this it's pretty much instant.

13 hours ago, lmfao said:

@Leo Gura what's the point of the tribal drumming music? 

The Vibrations ;) I'll let you figure out the rest.

B R E A T H E

I could only manage 20 minutes.

Here are my effects:

• Spasms in the wrists, they became really locked closer to the end
  • Spasms in the face muscles
  • Little spasms in the body, like I'm a little epileptic
  • Noisy extremities
  • Euphoria
  • Better appreciation of music, I was literally crying because of the music that I used in the background
  • Relief in the inner emotional tension, also manifested as crying (I can relatively easily trigger tears lately so it's not very unusual)
  • Reduction in fatigue
  • Better concentration
  • Laughter, when I finished I just couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes, it felt like as if your bicycle started turning left when you turn the helm right, kind of laughing because of the confusion and something unexpected but not threatening, this laughter was felt throughout my body, my whole body was shaking a little
  • It seems that it created an ego backlash, although I also meditated a lot during the last week so it's hard to say what exactly caused the backlash (addiction relapses, depression etc), I also was a little manic couple hours after the breathwork
Edited by Privet

I listened to this podcast today. Anahata is supposed to be an expert on Shamanic Breathing. She suggest adding her twist to it, which is asking yourself a question in the mids of the breathing (I guess something like: "Why am I angry at my father?" or "Why do I have anxiety about finances?")

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a good tool. She talks about it in the first third of the video if you want to check it out.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

I'd like to share my experiences. I've done this 4 times this week.

First time

Did it for 30-60 minutes. I think I was breathing wrong because I didn't feel much except some tingling.

Second time

Did it for 60-90 minutes. This time it got deeper, I felt a lot of pain everywhere as if I was releasing a lot of hidden pain. I went running a bit that morning and I felt a bit of pain from the muscle tissues involved in the running, but also the diaphragm. I heard a noise, not so much of that high pitch sound you hear when you go from a noisy to silent room, but instead more like a sound with increasing reverb. I shook my head to stop it, I got a bit scared.

By the end of it I started to slowly go back to normal breathing, and waited up until everything went back to normal. On the meantime I couldn't move my hands at all, while arms, and to some extent legs, with some difficulty.

I took a long, deep, beautiful breathe before sitting up and it felt like I've never breathed this effortlessly since I was a kid.

Third time

I forget. Did I do it that day or not? I am confident I did but I have no memory of it. Should have taken notes daily instead of waiting until now.

Fourth time

This one got me scared. I went deeper with the breathing, as if I was trying to relax my body on every exhalation.

Before the 45 minute mark I was breathing and half crying with every exhalation. It felt like I was getting something out there which I thought at the moment it was going to help me a lot, so I kept trying to look for it.

By the 45 minute mark my hands were in too much pain from being completely curled, thumbs inwards, other fingers closed, but specially my left hand small finger completely stretched out. On top of that, I suddenly hear my Mac do the booting sound twice and I panicked: is this coming from my head? why is my Mac restarting? Why is it restarting twice immediately?!

I promptly ceased to breathe like this and started to use my nose, trying to use a more slower paced breathing, like I'd do when meditating. At some point I felt really bad so I immediately went back to breathing with my mouth open but slowly and less deeply.

Part of me was fearing that "I would stay like this forever" and the other part was like "psh this is absurd, it's just like when your leg falls asleep, we've been through this hundred of times by now". Still I panicked I couldn't move, and I kept repeating myself "It's going to be okay. This is just a moment..." and the such over and over.

After this I still have my hands shaking. Not sure what I can say about this, other than it's clear that I am always scared and this proves it. Another reason why I can't do psychedelics - I'm just too scared of anything that pulls me out of normal - and can't figure out exactly why.

Conclusion

I might give it another shot in the near future. For the time being, after trying so many different things, what I like the most is just calming my mind and be still. I'm just aware that alone might not be enough, so I'm always on the lookout for something now.

Just did it. Fresh trip report.

30 minutes

Hands and face tingled

Face tensed up

Breathing pattern inconsistent

>>>Expectation - a bunch of trauma would come up and I would bawl over the sadness in a self pitying way

>>>Reality - I cried at the end and started speaking. To paraphrase the best I can:

"I do have friends and family and community, I just won't let it into my heart because my heart hurts so much. I can be disappointed but their hearts hurt too - and we don't know how to heal hearts right." 

>>>Then I laid there trying to be mindful.

I felt grateful for a friend I met today and Leo. "Tropics of Love" by Black Heart Procession was stuck in my mind - I had been listening to it on repeat the last couple days unconsciously while driving. I thought about messages I wanted to send friends and family - which is interesting because I have been telling people to leave me alone lately. I haven't wanted to talk.

>>>The last 2 days were spent at a conference for Community Health Workers and I will say that Leo's channel is the best god damn community health project I could even dream of. Thank you, Leo. ?

Addendum:

Perhaps this opened my heart chakra? Breathing that way is a lot of activity in the chest.

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything