Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

1,535 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am doing 5 min of concentration (the 5th week) followed by one hour of do nothing meditation (3rd month).

In order to do Kriya should I drop my meditation practice or should I start with Kriya (20,30,40 minutes) then sit still in meditation till 1-hour alarm goes off? 

Also, some Kryia exercises are timewise (10 min x then 20 min y ). in this case, how should I proceed with keeping track of time?

I'm usually doing my 5 min concentration then set the alarm for 1 hour and sit. To keep setting the alarm for 10- 20-30 min and then shut it off will disturb my practice so I need some advice here. 

To do have my daily practice plus Kriya is not a possible timewise. 

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Alex bAlex

Hello!

I used to do just like you, I had a 50min practice of meditation/strong determination sitting. I kept up my routine of strong determination sitting as long as my Kriya practice was 5 minutes long, but when it started to get longer than that, I just shaved off the time that the kriya took from my meditation!

Think of it like this, you got 1 hour to spend every day, so focus on doing the kriya, and when you are done, fill the rest of the time with the meditation. When your kriya routine starts getting as long as 40-50 minutes, then you can skip the meditation altogether and maybe insert it as a break from your schedule later in the day (maybe 20 minutes between your work halves).

My Kriya routine is pretty long at the moment (45 minutes), and I have moved my meditation habit to now be an optional afternoon break.

 

Try to focus as much as possible on building up the Kriya routine and remember to do it right! Don't sit around with the 3 first practices for months on end, but try to build yourself up to the Pranayamas, only then comes the real results. Proper Kriya is much more superior than regular meditation alone ime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Igor82

Last year I have reached to lesson 6 and stopped. This took me 4 months. Was it too long? (I was trying to focus on the 3rd eye for a long time till I moved on)

Also, I have stopped because I find it somehow difficult to keep the count of Ujjayi Pranayama and Talabya Kriya, many times just kept doing it and slip deep into thoughts, forget about counting. 

Anyway, I'll give it a go again soon ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Alex bAlex I have done this for soon about 5 months and im about to start lesson 10. Although I try to master every technique every time I sit down on the cushion. I always try to improve my sessions, and after I get very comfortable with a certain technique then I move forward when the effort has become a habit.

I use my fingers to keep count of every set of breaths I make, moving the thumb along the 3 parts of my first finger = 3 sets, and then the second finger until the last finger.

It's not that hard counting the Talabya Kriya, stay aware! The whole point is to put all of your attention into the practice, you can't just "make it a habit" and trust that your unconscious habits will get you your results while you sit there and fantasize about your dinner, doing the Ujjayi like a robot. That won't work... You need to fully feel into it, you need to fully do the practice! It also helps you to fine tune your practice towards perfection and I find that it helps me learn the steps faster. If you didn't apply rigorous awareness and discipline to your practice, I assume maybe that is what's missing.

A thing that helps me to stay awake while doing Ujjayi is to put all my attention on the sounds that are coming from my throat. Sometimes I don't do it and I do slip into fantasy land (I use my fingers to keep count anyways), but I find that I go much deeper and my practice becomes very enjoyable as I stay conscious.

There is quite a joy in mastering the techniques and staying conscious. Even though I'm probably slow with the practice and it takes me 45 minutes to finish the routine with 24 KP1 breaths, I find it to be a good thing! At least im staying aware, at least im meditating trough all of it.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 2:45 AM, Leo Gura said:

Keep it this simple. Don't over-complicate things. Over time just increase the potency with which you feel and visualize the pranayamas. They are the key to this whole thing. So do them with real intent and feeling. Each breath upwards should feel like it's filling your skull with enlightenment. Suck that prana up your spine and into your skull like it's an actual fluid in your body.

JC recommends putting attention on each Chakra as you breath in and out. Apparently there is also a prana energy flow. To me, this feels really awkward. At times, there is a vague sense of prana flow, yet when I am imagining spots in my sacrum, belly, sternum etc. it seems like a fantasy disruption. It's like I'm trying to coordinate breathing, images of energy flow, sensations of energy flow and images of individual Chakra centers. Is it ok to just imagine energy flow up and down the spine? Rather than trying to imagine the energy passing through an images of my sacral vertebrae, then moving on through the abdomen chakra, then passing through the heart chakra etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Igor82 said:

@Alex bAlex I have done this for soon about 5 months and im about to start lesson 10. Although I try to master every technique every time I sit down on the cushion. I always try to improve my sessions, and after I get very comfortable with a certain technique then I move forward when the effort has become a habit.

I use my fingers to keep count of every set of breaths I make, moving the thumb along the 3 parts of my first finger = 3 sets, and then the second finger until the last finger.

It's not that hard counting the Talabya Kriya, stay aware! The whole point is to put all of your attention into the practice, you can't just "make it a habit" and trust that your unconscious habits will get you your results while you sit there and fantasize about your dinner, doing the Ujjayi like a robot. That won't work... You need to fully feel into it, you need to fully do the practice! It also helps you to fine tune your practice towards perfection and I find that it helps me learn the steps faster. If you didn't apply rigorous awareness and discipline to your practice, I assume maybe that is what's missing.

A thing that helps me to stay awake while doing Ujjayi is to put all my attention on the sounds that are coming from my throat. Sometimes I don't do it and I do slip into fantasy land (I use my fingers to keep count anyways), but I find that I go much deeper and my practice becomes very enjoyable as I stay conscious.

There is quite a joy in mastering the techniques and staying conscious. Even though I'm probably slow with the practice and it takes me 45 minutes to finish the routine with 24 KP1 breaths, I find it to be a good thing! At least im staying aware, at least im meditating trough all of it.

Good luck!

Nice post thanks that's inspiring

 

As for the duration, I feel like it's a good thing to be kind of slow, it means more calm/aware pranayamas rather than rushed

I'm doing 108 pranayama (the ones with chanting om in kutasha) in around 30-40minutes and my practice is not too good now, often times i'm only half-consious of the pranayama and half in my thoughts, the times where i've been a bit slower (as a result) were the times of better practice

I would think it's also way better to do like 48 nice slow pranayama in a session than twice more twice less conscious

Edited by Jordan94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, Adamg said:

so which book do you suggest i should buy?gamanas or the one from your book list? or both. would be glad for an answer.

:) 

 get all of them ... how do you value your enlightenment ?! xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

JC recommends putting attention on each Chakra as you breath in and out. Apparently there is also a prana energy flow. To me, this feels really awkward. At times, there is a vague sense of prana flow, yet when I am imagining spots in my sacrum, belly, sternum etc. it seems like a fantasy disruption. It's like I'm trying to coordinate breathing, images of energy flow, sensations of energy flow and images of individual Chakra centers. Is it ok to just imagine energy flow up and down the spine? Rather than trying to imagine the energy passing through an images of my sacral vertebrae, then moving on through the abdomen chakra, then passing through the heart chakra etc.

It's not so hard to do all that. Just visualize the prana as an electrical fluid flowing up the center of the spine and hitting each chakra quickly along the way.

What is so hard about that?

Your sense is vague because this requires months of practice to get is sharp.

Even moreso than visualization, I would literally try to FEEL the prana shooting up the spine. FEEL it, and it will become a reality soon enough. This is a case of mind over matter. Don't sell your mind short.


"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question in regard to my expectations of kryia:

Is kriya something that slowly affects your daily consciousness, or do you work till you get a breakthrough and only then you can see the benefits? Or both? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yonkon You see benefits daily. From the first week of practice, your awareness raises noticeably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 6:32 AM, DnoReally said:

Palms up, face east, blink only after an uneven number of seconds have passed, dont curl the toes, never let your thumbs meet as it interfers with your pets energy field and might cause an involuntary kundalini awakening, always close the door but not fully, draw a flipped pentagram on your doorstep to prevent demons and bad karma from damaging your prana flow, never chant om more than 5 times / 15 seconds (this is EXTREMELY important, dont ask why tho!).

Furthermore you should restrain from thinking of the third eye as a literal eye as it might actually materialize as such! Also inbreath and outbreath must be the EXACT same duration, violations of that rule will result in yogananda appearing through your 7th chakra and he will steal all your prana and sell it on the black yoga market (prana depletion aint no joke).

If you stick to the simple ruleset that I outlined and every single other one that has ever existed, you are good to go and you will eventually awaken the archetype of the eternal lobster in the crown chakra, fuse order and chaos and salvage your damn father from the belly of vishnu.

Also clean your room prior to every kriya routine.

than

On 1/24/2019 at 6:32 AM, DnoReally said:

Thanks for a really good laugh!!! The sad thing is it took me a bit to realize you joking!!!  Great reminder to not take things so seriously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yonkon I feel like I regularly benefit for the practice and sometimes there seems to be a spike. The wonderful thing is the daily benefits that accrue over time. I can look back and see wonderful progress. I might not feel that there is progress every day, but as I look back it is significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pointessa said:

@Yonkon I feel like I regularly benefit for the practice and sometimes there seems to be a spike. The wonderful thing is the daily benefits that accrue over time. I can look back and see wonderful progress. I might not feel that there is progress every day, but as I look back it is significant.

What benefits look like? Comparing to meditation


See things as they are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, pointessa said:

@Yonkon I feel like I regularly benefit for the practice and sometimes there seems to be a spike. The wonderful thing is the daily benefits that accrue over time. I can look back and see wonderful progress. I might not feel that there is progress every day, but as I look back it is significant.

I also would like how to measure the progress. I feel like there is progress, but it feels more like guessing and intuition. I think measuring spiritual progress is like catching water, but maybe you can help me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Serotoninluv

just try to do what Leo is describing, but it's okay if you can't do it all.

As time goes on and your practice improves KP will be extremely easy and it will feel like it is doing you

 

 

I felt like sharing that I'm around 4 months into my routine, lesson 18 of Stevens book, and really starting to feel it, I've been doing KP3 for about a week and Stevens is right that it is much more potent than KP1 & KP2. I can feel warm buzzing energy in my head and spine when doing the breathing, and the mind is much more still.

 

@Leo Gura

In regards to your simplified routine, what do you think about Steven's idea of things like Navi Kriya or say talabya helping through energy blockages. 

and where do you learn Kriya supreme fire. I don't think it is in stevens book unless it's under another name. Gamana's book? Secret power of kriya yoga book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh I have another good question

@Leo Gura or others do you not do the nightly routine? 

Stevens makes it seem necessary but I would really rather not do it. Is it not necessary/ what role does it play?

anyways answers to my questions would be appreciated, or resources for answers.

 

Edit: also thoughts on the omkar & thokar kriyas, are they worth learning?  

Edited by Cocolove
yea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any general tips on how to practice yoga more precisely. So common mistakes and thing that people feel have held them back personally. 

At the moment doing routine 2-3 times 20 minutes each session per day. Have been practicing my current yoga techniques for 3 days but did a month or so of a similar routine a few months ago. 

- Nadi Sodhana x 10

- Ujjayi Pranayama x 10 

- today started doing 10 rounds of Talabya Kriya 

- 10 minutes concentration

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 8:39 AM, Yonkon said:

I have a question in regard to my expectations of kryia:

Is kriya something that slowly affects your daily consciousness, or do you work till you get a breakthrough and only then you can see the benefits? Or both?

Both. You should feel subtle weekly gradual effects and eventually some bigger breakthroughs. The gradual effects can really add up. Which is the whole point. I am more interested in Kriya for the gradual effects than the breakthroughs. I can easily create breakthroughs via psychedelics, but they don't stick so well. Which is why Kriya is important.

18 hours ago, Cocolove said:

 

@Leo Gura

In regards to your simplified routine, what do you think about Steven's idea of things like Navi Kriya or say talabya helping through energy blockages. 

To me those are optional. Talabya is probably quite good, but takes a lot of training to achieve. I recommend you don't bother with it until your core routine is solid.

Quote

and where do you learn Kriya supreme fire. I don't think it is in stevens book unless it's under another name. Gamana's book? Secret power of kriya yoga book?

Gamana

18 hours ago, Cocolove said:

oh I have another good question

@Leo Gura or others do you not do the nightly routine? 

Stevens makes it seem necessary but I would really rather not do it. Is it not necessary/ what role does it play?

I combine everything into one routine. Ideally you'd do this routine twice per day but right now I'm only managing once per day.

Quote

Edit: also thoughts on the omkar & thokar kriyas, are they worth learning?  

Not now. Build your core routine and do it for a few years. Then you can revisit that question. You're not supposed to do those routines until you have 3-5 years of solid practice.


"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks.

read over info from the Stevens book and yea he said it takes years before you're ready for omkar and above.

Stevens routines are weird, his suggested nightly routine is just maha mudra, short breath kriya, and yoni mudra. no pranayama but ig all those are like it

 

On 1/26/2019 at 0:32 PM, Cocolove said:

and where do you learn Kriya supreme fire.

Gamana's book? Secret power of kriya yoga book?

just checked the book list and found that secret power of kriya yoga is by Gamana lmao didn't realize that. Ordering that and others by him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now