Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

1,535 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Widdle Puppy said:

hmm yea true but it's better than nothing. I just need the technique and can try to then to fix it when I can get my hands on the big book. the short one seems to be distilled and probably can be good for getting my toes wet. 

Could somebody validate whether it's a good idea for a newbie to start from Gamana's book? @Leo Gura :$

5 hours ago, dimitri said:

Could somebody validate whether it's a good idea for a newbie to start from Gamana's book? @Leo Gura :$

If you want a thorough grounding, and to understand Kriya principles deeply, I believe J.C. Stevens book is the best. It's on Amazon where it has more than 100 reviews. Me, I would never recommend Gamana to anyone. I know he has fans.

If you have a devotional orientation, you want to feel connection with God, and you want to spend time with other meditators, then I recommend the SRF lessons which are now extensively revised. They teach preliminary meditation practices, and then after 8 months one is eligible for Kriya instruction in person. They have hundreds of centers and groups around the world. If you want personal instruction but not from SRF, there are other sources.

7 hours ago, Widdle Puppy said:

Hi, I would like to read JC Stevens book but I can't get it shipped to me. Does a digital version exist?

Is the other book fine to learn from for a newbie? There is a kindle version for that one. 

There's no Kindle version of the Stevens book as of yet. It's a large book with a huge amount of material and many illustrations. He was supposed to be working on something called Kriya Pocket Book but as far as I know it isn't yet available. You could read Ennio Nimis book which is free on the web in the form of PDFs. But I believe Stevens work is much better.

As I said in another comment, it is easy to start with the SRF lessons which are sent by mail (although the Kriya technique is only taught in person). Most of the preparatory practices -- but not Kriya -- are already on YouTube in the Forrest Knutson videos, and he has a very good book called Hacking the Universe (also on Amazon).

Edited by kerk

Gamana's books are designed for people who are already familiar with the core of Kriya. As a newbie you will be missing a lot of the foundation.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

@Leo Gura But what exactly? I mean as long as you do the techniques correctly what could you be missing?

Recently i added Kriya Supreme Fire to my practice. I was curious how you guys go about this specific exercise. It's rather difficult for me to hold my breath for 90 seconds whilst holding the locks, especially the second round after just one inhale after holding the breath. 

I know a method that might help with this. Going about the exercise like Wim Hof Breathing. So before inhaling you take 30 fast breaths. Than after doing Kriya Supreme Fire, 30 more fast breaths, and than again. Doing this helps you holding the breath way longer. Now i am aware of the fact that making up your own technique might not be the greatest idea, especially while having little experience, but i really want to take my practice to the next level because i'm not really feeling it. Stuff changes within me but don't know if Kriya is really the cause of all that. Can somebody help me out with some tips/tricks? 

@Mart Use kriya bow to build up to being able to do kriya supreme fire, santata gamana's secret power of  kriya yoga has instructions

also I'm no expert but be careful mixing wim hof with kriya, I wouldn't do it.

@MM1988 comprehensive instriuctions, basic theory. You might get some results just doing basic practices. Gamana's books are likely gonna make no sense if you have no basic theory. 

Question time(just started reading gamana today):

Stevens says only to do yoni mudra at night, gamana doesn't specify. Is Stevens full of shit on this one? bc I do kriya a half hour after waking up.

Gamana says to sit cross legged, I can't(bad knees). Is it okay to do it in a chair straight back no backrest good posture.

I was able to order the book and get it shipped to a friend. I'll give my thoughts when it arrives next week. 

On 05/02/2019 at 5:21 AM, MM1988 said:

@BuddhaTree how long did it take you to do full khechari, and have you tasted the supposed swet divine nectar from the pinneal gland?

About six months give or take. I have tasted something that has a metallic taste, but did not experience any blissful states from that. I notice that my pranayama goes much smoother though, and I can definitely feel more energy currents. 

I like Gamana's Kriya Bow. For some reason, it makes the practice enjoyable. Before adding it every session has felt like a chore, now I am happy to sit and concentrate.

On 06/02/2019 at 2:57 AM, herghly said:

@BuddhaTree Great update!

how many SG's Supreme Kriya Pranayama do you do and where did you learn Shambhavi Mudra? I don't remember seeing Shambhavi Mudra in any of the books

I've been practicing Kriya now for 10 months. A few months ago I stopped doing concentration at the end and replaced it with  Parvastha. This change has been massive, guys do not underestimate the post kriya witnessing. That's where all the gains are at

I do 72 Supreme Kriya Pranayamas. They are very potent. Shambhavi Mudra is explained in Supreme Kriya Pranayama's section in The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga. It is simple!

With my face slightly upturned, I roll my eyes upwards and focus on the Crown chakra leaving the eyes semi-opened. It's not that different from Sadhguru's Shambhavi Mudra, but instead of concentrating between the eyebrows, concentrate on the Crown chakra. After a couple of weeks, just by looking upwards and maintaining a natural focus on the crown, I instantly feel ecstatic.

I'm totally on the same boat as you concerning Parvastha!

20 hours ago, kerk said:

If you want a thorough grounding, and to understand Kriya principles deeply, I believe J.C. Stevens book is the best. It's on Amazon where it has more than 100 reviews. Me, I would never recommend Gamana to anyone. I know he has fans.

I used to praise KSR, but here's the thing about that book that bothers me:

J.C. Stevens wrote that book without an in-depth comprehension of what enlightenment is. I agree his book is good for beginners, but were someone to follow that book to the letter, they'd end up in a disoriented mess of jumbled up kriya techniques, with no real non-dual path or goal. 

KSR last technique is about stabilizing kundalini energy in the chakras. Hmm? Does he have any clue about enlightenment and non-duality? It goes so much beyond kundalini energy, chakras and techniques.

In the last lesson he says the following:

"Cogito Ergo Sum is Latin for "I think, therefore I am." When I first heard this phrase in high school, I found it perplexing. At that point in my life, I had studied yoga for many years, wherein I was taught that thoughts were merely distractions to be stilled. Further, my own experiences in meditation supported this assertion. Only after (...when I was 21) did I understand that what Descartes meant by this famous remark was that, by simply having the ability to acknowledge thought, human consciousness is proven to exist.

... Once I understood consciousness as a superior reality existing within the physical body..."

Is this his final insight that consciousness NEEDS thought to be proven to exist? What about that just by the fact that I AM aware, consciousness is proven to exist? Thought exists within consciousness, and consciousness doesn't need thought to acknowledge that it exists. This is a kindergarten insight. Many users on this forum have already had bigger realizations. And the fact that he mentions that consciousness is a superior reality existing WITHIN the physical body blows my mind. The physical body arises within consciousness! Consciousness is NOT inside the body! This is non-duality 101. He is clueless. 

If any kriyaban reads any decent nondual book, he will see the nearsightedness of KSR book.

Edited by BuddhaTree
First comment was incomplete

@BuddhaTree wow, you do a lot of pranayamas.I need to become more conscious of extending the duration of my kriya sessions (more prayanamas) and the quality.

Do you do all 72 pranayamas the same way?

@BuddhaTreeJust read  Supreme Kriya Pranayama's section in The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga. Do you do this with eyes opened or closed?

On 2/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, Girzo said:

I like Gamana's Kriya Bow. For some reason, it makes the practice enjoyable. Before adding it every session has felt like a chore, now I am happy to sit and concentrate.

I did it for the first time today, and I agree, I love it. makes the routine longer but it's worth it. maha mudra felt way clearer and slower(breathing).

@BuddhaTree absolutely, KSR is good for techs but not much beyond.

@herghly half open, when I did it I could barely see because they were pointed up, so not much need to close them.

Does anyone know if you need to do the throat restrictions while doing maha mudra? Or do you just breathe normally when you bring the energy up the spine?

Edited by onacloudynight

@herghly  Basically I'm wondering if I need to do ujjayi breathing while bringing the energy up to the head during maha mudra.