Chadders

Am I an artist

78 posts in this topic

I enjoyed watching the video Leo posted with this Japanese anime dude who’s highly creative (can’t remember his name) so I wondered am I an artist?

I’m definitely more on the creative side than a logical one. My power is in being creative and intuitive rather than logical, but I don’t believe I have a burning desire to create art in that way.

I do however have a burning desire to inspire and elevate people’s consciousness to improve collective society and ultimately we both have the same desire, albeit he does it through the medium of art, and I do it through social engagement and communication 

Interesting. Find a way to change the world for the better but through what medium is the question? Art, science, politics, business etc

the desire is the same in all of us at a conscious level but only the medium is different. Find your medium 

Sounds like no.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

@Chadders You would be according to Seth Godin

What Is Your Art?

"I define art as having nothing at all to do with painting.

Art is a human act, a generous contribution, something that might not work, and it is intended to change the recipient for the better, often causing a connection to happen.

Five elements that are difficult to find and worth seeking out. Human, generous, risky, change and connection.

You can be perfect or you can make art.

You can keep track of what you get in return, or you can make art.

You can enjoy the status quo, or you can make art. 

The most difficult part might be in choosing whether you want to make art at all, and committing to what it requires of you. " - Seth Godin

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

Seth Godin is not an artist.

Just because you influence people or create stuff does not make you an artist.

Edited by Leo Gura

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Curious your definition of an artist. I thought it was mostly grounded in creating stuff.

28 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

I thought it was mostly grounded in creating stuff.

No, it's about the pursuit of aesthetic beauty.

You're an artist if you can relate to this:

It's simple.

Are you having fun practising an artistic, creative activity?

If you do, you're an artist.
If you don't, you're just interested/passionate about art.

Both are fine.

Usual reminder of : follow your needs, not success or what other think. Do small things for you, for your fun, for exploring. If this is for you, then it'll grow on its own soon enough (obviously, a few technicalities matter so everything goes further than a doodle, but those you can find in specific drawing -or whatnot- content)

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Depends how you use the word. In a traditional sense I’d that that’s true. Seth uses the word in a creative way. 

◭"89"

@Thought Art

I have a yearning to learn drawing. I get high on learning (my own way), exploring, and, recently, coming up with a few notes on the piano, although I don't like adhering to teachers even a little bit. The pleasure of just doing it makes me happy and joyful, even though I have days that are extremely boring. Sometimes, I think I can connect those two and also other things that don't seem to be connected someday. Could this be a call?

If you are an artist you probably wouldn't feel the need to ask if you are one.

You can become an artist if you want to make art.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's about the pursuit of aesthetic beauty.

It's funny that Frank Yang said that aesthetic beauty was the reason he did everything in life.

He filmed videos since a very young age because of the aesthetic beauty of capturing reality.

He pursued the perfect body and muscles out of its aesthetic beauty.

He pursued the boundless non localized 360º mind because that's the most Aesthetic Mind.

He pursued Awakening because that's where aesthetic beauty lead him and the ultimate Aesthetic Beauty itself.

Edited by Davino

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

🌎LOVE❤️                         💎TRUTH⚔️

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, BojackHorseman said:

It's simple.

Are you having fun practising an artistic, creative activity?

If you do, you're an artist.
If you don't, you're just interested/passionate about art.

That's completely wrong. If fun is your priority while doing art that makes it a hobby (nothing wrong with having fun though, don't get me wrong).

Art goes way beyond that. Art means you have something in you that wants to be expressed. Art is a process of giving birth and that can be immensely painful.

You're not necessarily an artist in the field of music if you're good at, say, playing the piano. What makes you an artist is the fact that there is music in you.

Edited by vibv

The Secret of this Universe is You.

my music

I'm not an artist, the size, influence, and success of something (like a company) are a lot more appealing to me, for its own sake. It's definitely not a material thing, and that's fine. I'm a lot more excited about the future of technology than anything else.

Posted (edited)

How come we say things such as the art of war, the art of contemplation, the art of seduction?

Edited by UnbornTao

Find your flower and song ;)

◭"89"

@Understander its not something you do its something you are. If you were artistic you would have been doing it non stop since a kid. You can try to do it but its not really something you try to do you do it because you like to do it.

Posted (edited)

@Hojo

I don't entirely agree with you, but I have been doing it since I was like 14–15 years old, and I've had "bad" days, but I'm still doing it. Some people discover their talents earlier than others. Also, I do it because it's so beautiful and amazing when I'm playing what I've heard. Knowing that I can bring myself pleasure just by (re)creating something wonderful keeps me motivated. In my opinion, talent or hard work are secondary. Firstly, you have to know whether something makes you feel deep satisfaction or pleasure. It's like being in a freefall.

Edited by Understander

We are all a bit unemployed artist ^_^

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Posted (edited)

Yes

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI