EternalForest

List of Paradoxes: What's the craziest one in your opinion?

21 posts in this topic

Might sound a bit nerdy haha, but one of my best memories in life was staying up all night when I was a teenager reading about all the different paradoxes out there. Some of them are honestly mind-blowing. If you haven't explored this list yet, I highly recommend you do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paradoxes

Which one blows your mind the most? I think the Monty Hall Problem and Grandfather Paradox are pretty fascinating myself.

7 hours ago, EternalForest said:

Might sound a bit nerdy haha, but one of my best memories in life was staying up all night when I was a teenager reading about all the different paradoxes out there. Some of them are honestly mind-blowing. If you haven't explored this list yet, I highly recommend you do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paradoxes

Which one blows your mind the most? I think the Monty Hall Problem and Grandfather Paradox are pretty fascinating myself.

Never thought that this is such a huge topic

I think a thread exists for paradoxes already? like a mega thread?

Recently I've been digging some of the Zeno Paradoxes. There is an infinity between 1 and 2 depending how you look at it.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

think a thread exists for paradoxes already? like a mega thread?

On 09/05/2022 at 5:44 AM, EternalForest said:

Might sound a bit nerdy haha, but one of my best memories in life was staying up all night when I was a teenager reading about all the different paradoxes out there.

Haha been there.

My favourite one is, The Ship of Theseus. Is the ship with all replaced planks still the Ship of Theseus or is it a new ship?

I think it comes down to the fact that there is no essence to anything.

There is no ship, apart from what we hold to be a ship. It may be that we are able to gain consensus within a particularly community by arguing for one point of view in a certain type of way, but in an objective sense, there is no better or worse categorisation. That is because the notion of there being an objective sense is arbitrary. And, with that being the case, combined with a deterministic view, I think the question becomes a sociological, rather than philosophical one. I.e. why did we come to hold that it is a ship.

That too though can be refuted from a postmodernist angle lol. Shits wild out here haha. 

Nice post OP

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

The Arrow Paradox

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

x is y

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

The drop is in the ocean AND the ocean is in the drop :D

Zeno's paradoxes of motion were my favorite ones while I was in my teens. After doing psychedelics, it feels like I am stuck in one, lol

The way to learn what love is, is by giving it

(when you don t have it) 

This is a paradox I thought of, not sure if it's been talked about before.  There is an infinite amount of everything, pretty easy so far.  Everything is infinite, there's infinite space so everything exists an infinite number of times.  So take any object, a golf ball let's say.  There at first we might say there are an infinite number of those, that exact thing, in reality.  There are an infinite number of golf balls exactly like that, no differences, no matter how subtle or small we go in our examination of the golf ball

But then also, subtlety and smallness (bigness to) is also infinite.  So we could zoom in forever and ever and eventually we would find some minute difference between any other thing and that first golf ball.  They could never be exactly the same because there is no bottom to the subtlety so eventually a difference would be found.  So now these 2 infinities are against each other, seemingly.  One infinity saying there is infinite reality for us to find an duplicate thing, and then the other saying no matter how many you find they won't be identical.  But now that I'm actually typing it out, I think it is just that nothing would ever be exactly the same, and you would be finding infinite things that seem very similar, so maybe not really a paradox. Lemme know what you think.

Edited by Mulky

Now 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 5/13/2022 at 7:25 AM, Ulax said:

Haha been there.

My favourite one is, The Ship of Theseus. Is the ship with all replaced planks still the Ship of Theseus or is it a new ship?

I think it comes down to the fact that there is no essence to anything.

There is no ship, apart from what we hold to be a ship. It may be that we are able to gain consensus within a particularly community by arguing for one point of view in a certain type of way, but in an objective sense, there is no better or worse categorisation. That is because the notion of there being an objective sense is arbitrary. And, with that being the case, combined with a deterministic view, I think the question becomes a sociological, rather than philosophical one. I.e. why did we come to hold that it is a ship.

That too though can be refuted from a postmodernist angle lol. Shits wild out here haha. 

Nice post OP

Idk I think this one is answerable because it really is a new ship since every part is replaced, because we can technically gather the new parts that will be used, assemble an entire ship with those new parts "next to" the other ship making 2 whole ships. now begin the disassembly/reassembly using the new parts onto the old ship and all you really would have done was move the location of the new ship. and deconstruct and dispose of the old one. 

Focus on the solution, not the problem

Separation exists.

Also, separation doesn’t exist.

Zeno specifically made his paradoxes as an attempt to prove that motion is not ultimately real. Something like that.

"Parmenides held that the multiplicity of existing things, their changing forms and motion, are but an appearance of a single eternal reality (“Being”)"

I believe the philosophy is referred to as Eleatics, of which Zeno was a proponent.