ivankiss

How many hours do you guys sleep a day?

39 posts in this topic

I'm aware of the good old 'the body needs 7/8 hours of sleep everyday' idea. But I've been kinda questioning that, a lot. Experimenting.

I tried out lots of different cycles.

Sleeping at night, sleeping at day... I even tried Tesla's style of sleep... 3x 2hrs in a day. It was cool, but it did not stick.

Nowadays, I often sleep only 3 or 4 hours. Sometimes 6,7,8... There is no real consistent pattern.

My thoughts are; once you start reaching higher states of consciousness, you simply do not need that much sleep anymore. There is more than enough energy circulating through your being. Who's got time to sleep in this day and age?!

What do you guys think?

7 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

I'm aware of the good old 'the body needs 7/8 hours of sleep everyday' idea. But I've been kinda questioning that, a lot. Experimenting.

I tried out lots of different cycles.

Sleeping at night, sleeping at day... I even tried Tesla's style of sleep... 3x 2hrs in a day. It was cool, but it did not stick.

Nowadays, I often sleep only 3 or 4 hours. Sometimes 6,7,8... There is no real consistent pattern.

My thoughts are; once you start reaching higher states of consciousness, you simply do not need that much sleep anymore. There is more than enough energy circulating through your being. Who's got time to sleep in this day and age?!

What do you guys think?

The best thing is trying to reconnect to your natural urge of sleep. It's like eating, eat when you are hungry, sleep when you need it. The body will wake up at the right moment. Obviouly this takes some awareness. You can ask yourself before going to bed " do i really need to sleep? is my body tired ?"

@Giulio Bevilacqua That sounds good to me. I like it.

I think, what's bugging me a bit, is that I tried to impose a consistent sleep cycle on myself. And I've been failing to do that.

So yeah, your idea resonates much more.

yogis sleep 4 hours and less.but u need decades of practice to get there.for common folks like us there is no fixed amount of sleep.sleep as long as your body demands it.listen to your body .listen to your body.if you cut down on sleep then when u wake up u will be in bad mood and reduced productivity hence it is counterproductive

@asifarahim Cool. Thanks.

I'm familiar with waking up in a bad mood, but lately that has not been the case.

I like sleeping 5 or 6 hours... plus maybe a short  powernap.

I also love to live at night. There's just something magical in the air.

That reminds me; my mother used to, and I think she still does, sleep only 4 to max 5 hours a day. And works 10,12 sometimes 16 hours a day. And works out! The woman is practically a superhero!

But... she does have health issues. Mainly caused by stress. What a soul!

I sleep between 6 or  7 hours a day. It seems to be all i need to feel refreshed. Every  once  in awhile  i will do catch up and sleep all day on a day  off.

4-5 hours max at night. And a short afternoon nap (30-45 minutes) that feels like a decade.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

This is data from my fitbit the past week. The timestamps at the start and the end of each sleep are extremely accurate, as it senses your movements and spikes in heart rate. Red marks indicates "awake" time, and the slivers are basically just tossing and turning in sleep.

I take zero naps in my life unless I am physically ill. My sleep will become even more deprived and fucked up as I get more involved with firefighting lol. It's not ideal but I can get by on this and can operate machinery and drive most of my days fine. Just eating right and coffee compensates most minor fatigue I have.

Screenshot_20210730-220938_Fitbit.jpg

hrhrhtewgfegege

@ivankiss I think it depends on your emotional/mental state.

A few years ago I went on a self help tear and felt better than I ever had. During a 4 month stretch I was only sleeping 4-5 hours and I felt better than I ever did on more sleep.

I think it all depends on how you feel and how integrated you are, I wouldn't buy into the 8 hour standard

I sleep 8-9 hours in summer and 9-10 hours in winter when it´s dark. 

@Zeroguy if we ever come together, what I personally don´t believe, but let´s say if, you´ll have every day a guaranteed break from me for 5-6 hours, when I am sleeping and you are not. Isnt´t a bonus?

Very cool guys! Thanks!

What I discovered, is that I'm actually just more tired and sleepy if I sleep 8+ hours. I also sense sort of a disconnect, a gap, between yesterday and today, that way.

It's like I have to start all over... instead of just continuing. Funny game of perception.

21 hours ago, ivankiss said:

@asifarahim Cool. Thanks.

I'm familiar with waking up in a bad mood, but lately that has not been the case.

I like sleeping 5 or 6 hours... plus maybe a short  powernap.

I also love to live at night. There's just something magical in the air.

So true, so much fun after dark.

I read a lot of books about sleeping. Your body has a natural rhythm and duration need. It varies from person to person. Average is 7-8. Some need 4. Some need 10. You can test your needed time in sleep lab or just feel into your body. Sleeping to much is bad, sleeping not enough as well. 

Please do not take anything I say as an insult. I have 17 warning points and I'd like to stay on this forum.

You are Love.

1 year meditation, 1 hour daily https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/76489-1-year-meditation-1h-daily-start-at-100122/

Hours of sunlight affect how much I sleep I tend to sleep a lot more in winter 8hrs or so where as in summer its more like 6hrs.

In Canada we have very short winter days. 

Edited by Rigel

Sailing on the ceiling 

14 hours ago, Gregory1 said:

I read a lot of books about sleeping. Your body has a natural rhythm and duration need. It varies from person to person. Average is 7-8. Some need 4. Some need 10. You can test your needed time in sleep lab or just feel into your body. Sleeping to much is bad, sleeping not enough as well. 

I get awful headaches  if  i sleep too much

Slept 3,5 hours last night. Working 13 hours today xD feeling good, energized, relaxed.

The ideal balance is somewhere between 7.5 - 8.5 . At least statistically speaking. It's better to get a little bit more than chronically not getting enough. 

It is a bit tricky because the body compensates to a large degree. If you get little sleep, your stress hormones go through the roof the next day which can give a false assumption that the body is energised but in reality, the body is stressed and running on adrenaline & cortisol. It can be done for a short time if you're young and healthy but long term sleep deprivation can cause burnout & exhaustion of the coping mechanisms (e.g. adrenal deficiency & mitochondrial dysfunction) in mid 30s early 40s and then people end up with something like chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia. 

I'd probably focus on getting at least 7, more on days when you were exceptionally active. It's probably not worth the long term risk

sleep.JPG

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I sleep 5 hours to catch up with actualized.org and high school.

But i have been sleeping a lot, about 8 hours, just to check this lucid dreaming stuff is real or not.

Edited by Death_

I recently bought an Oura Ring to help track my sleep, i need to start dialing in on my sleep schedule, its crazy how im almost a different person without getting a proper nights sleep.