Jaccobtw

Are You Getting Vaccinated?

108 posts in this topic

I'm considering getting vaccinated but I want to know your perspectives. Why should or shouldn't I get vaccinated?

I got my first vaccine shot last Tuesday. For me, it’s about risk / reward at both individual and social levels. 

There really doesn't seem to be any major risk with any of the vaccines Canada currently allows, including AstraZeneca. I've read the John Hopkins website as well as Canada's information page and a few other source to figure out their safety. We need upwards of 80% of people vaccinated to achieve population immunity, so I am getting vaccinated as soon as possible. The provincial government says they should be able to have everyone vaccinated with a first dose by June 24th, so hopefully sometime before that. 

Edited by Elevated

Unless you have a specific condition to consider like an allergy, I have a hard time understanding why you wouldn't get vaccinated. All of the struggle that has been endured... We have a solution but it requires herd immunity.. Now people don't want the vaccine!?  

I work in front line health care and received the  Moderna vaccine. I felt ROUGH the day after the 2nd shot, but then its over. I recommend clearing your schedule a day or two after your second shot. 

Yup.  Though, for some reason I do feel some trepidation about it.  Perhaps since it's a new vaccine with little research and I dunno if it's all roses n sunshine.  I suppose the social factor is a reason why I'm doing it.  To get it over with and just do it.  Even though other parts of me perhaps don't feel so secure doing it. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Elevated

44 minutes ago, Elevated said:

There really doesn't seem to be any major risk with any of the vaccines Canada currently allows, including AstraZeneca. I've read the John Hopkins website as well as Canada's information page and a few other source to figure out their safety. We need upwards of 80% of people vaccinated to achieve population immunity, so I am getting vaccinated as soon as possible. The provincial government says they should be able to have everyone vaccinated with a first dose by June 24th, so hopefully sometime before that. 

The one on AstraZeneca isn't really true, about the blood clot. They found some of the patients already were suffering with them prior to being vaccinated, and the EU are circulating this story because theirs were not effective, and instead of pushing for a compromise and making contracts to have Britain ship over the vaccines ASAP, they decide to suspend shipment due to 'side effects' of the vaccine. Very soon, a third wave of the virus is being predicted to hit Europe again, so to me the risk they took of not getting vaccinated soon, will cost them even more.

Very much like national pride, EU's pride is wounded, and any form of help would be another slap in the face. They even recently are trying to shut down vitamin D supplementation! Are the people in charge living inside virtual worlds?  

From what I have heard, the EU Medicines board did not recommend pausing the vaccination campaign - in was politicians in some EU member states that did that. Also the number of blood clots were 17 in 17 million, which is 1 in a million which is lower than in the general public before Covid 19. The only reason why the blood clots were noticed is because the people who received the AstraZenica vaccine were carefully monitored whereas those who did not receive the vaccine were not, although the rate for them is slightly higher, and there is still no incidation that the blood clots are connected with the vaccine. To put this into perspective, the risk of dying after taking the vaccine is 1 in 1 million, and it has been found to protect 100% against Covid 19 deaths or serious Covid 19 illness. On the other hand, if you do not take a vaccination, there is a 1% chance of death or serious illness. This means you are 10,000 times more likely to die or have a serious illness if you do not take the vaccine.

I've had both 1 &2 moderna vaccines. I got very ill with the second dose,  but it lasted just a day.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

Yup.  Though, for some reason I do feel some trepidation about it.  Perhaps since it's a new vaccine with little research and I dunno if it's all roses n sunshine.  I suppose the social factor is a reason why I'm doing it.  To get it over with and just do it.  Even though other parts of me perhaps don't feel so secure doing it. 

Apparently there has been a significant amount of research. According to the John Hopkin's website there was good reason for why they could accelerate the creation and approval of the vaccines. There were new technologies, huge sample sizes, and an enormous amount of funding, among other reasons. 

I do think a little anxiety is perfectly normal though. 

my parents got vaccinated and they where completely fine.

i got covid two weeks back and it was really bad, like i was tired and was sleeping 20+ hours a day for a week, on one day i had issues with breathing at night, and on many nights i had chills and also body pain i was suffering. It would have been much bad if i was 50+ maybe i would have died. i feared i would pass covid to someone else and kill them. so get vaccinated it not only protects you but also your loved ones.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Jaccobtw Check out my two previous threads on this topic, both got a ton of responses. One is a poll and one is another thread like this one.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

I wish I could get it sooner. Wish the rollout would speed up. I'm in the last group eligible for it since I have no health problems and am in my 20s. 

My mom got the vaccine. She got pretty ill for days when she got it! I was kinda scared for her, to tell you the truth.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Long terms consequences of covid: fatigue, headaches, vertigo, difficulties with cognition, difficulties with cardiorespiratory fitness.

So why would you want to take the risk of contracting coronavirus and dealing with long term consequences? Get vaccinated.

19 hours ago, Elevated said:

I do think a little anxiety is perfectly normal though. 

I seem split almost.  Like there's a rational side and less skeptical or worried side which says "Just do it, it's the responsible thing to do and probably nothing bad will happen" (which is the side I feel is more "in charge").  But there's another side which is anxious and not trusting too much and feels worried about it. 

In any case, pretty sure I'm getting it no matter the anxious feelings and worry.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

No, i do not want to be microchipped and become Bill Gates dog.

Edited by GreenLight
Just kidding

3 hours ago, GreenLight said:

No, i do not want to be microchipped and become Bill Gates dog.

I know you said you're kidding, but if you use Microsoft Windows or any Microsoft product, you're still Bill Gates' dog. If you have a smartphone with GPS activated, you're as good as microchipped. 

This may be old school, but if you want to persuade me about anything scientific, link to a scientific paper, not a YouTube video. Scientific papers, for all their faults, have a vetting system. Anyone can post a YouTube video, so the quality of scientific information varies widely -- so widely I don't even bother sometimes. Yes, they're available on the internet. Some of them cost money, but I can pay the $35 if it's worth it. 

The same goes for court cases. Post legal documents, not YouTube videos. Yes, they're available on the internet, too.