kag101

Does anybody here play chess?

34 posts in this topic

I think it's a great game to develop strategic thinking. 

I'm still a newbie, but i've been getting a kick out of it.

Does anybody else also play? What are your thoughts about the game?

one day this will all be memories

Chess is a great example of the dance between simplicity and complexity. It's a deeply philosophical game and can teach us many things if we open ourselves to it.

Edited by impulse9

yes, I'm 1200. trying to get to 2000 one day. 

18 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

yes, I'm 1200. trying to get to 2000 one day. 

I've been playing chess for a couple of months now, but I am getting discouraged by it lately because I've been for weeks now stuck at getting a certain level of the computer game. 

I love playing chess because it feels like the other person and I are playing with our minds together. Super fun

"You Create Magic" 

32 minutes ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

I love playing chess because it feels like the other person and I are playing with our minds together. Super fun

Interesting reason. Most people love chess because they want to see if they can outsmart the other person. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I play with my grandpa at least once a month, he's been teaching me how to play since I was a kid (he's basically a grandmaster). 

Love and Life

I love chess, play a couple games daily. I think it's a great metaphor for life as well, in that its good to have a plan but that plan has to be constantly adaptable because of the factors outside of your control, ie the other players moves. 

It's also great to get in the zone as you need a high level of concentration to play well. 

Near 1500 is the highest I've been on chess.com and 1700 on lichess. But its so hard to improve or even maintain those numbers and it gets to a point where if you're not gonna be a pro it's better to just enjoy the game, without worrying too much about the numbers. 

Im too dumb for chess.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I love chess. Sometimes when I've played a lot of chess in one day, this very weird thing happens: everything somehow becomes chess. Everything that happens is viewed through a strategic lens. It's a very odd feeling. Objects are viewed as pieces and everything you do is a move. 

If you like chess you might enjoy this mini-series. It's a story about a girl on her mastery process to become the best in the world while not only fighting against her inner demons and traumas but also suffering from the cost of the mastery process itself.

Really inspiring and emotional.

IMG-20190801-WA0000.jpgI play it its a monster of a game it can be so complex 

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

45 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

IMG-20190801-WA0000.jpgI play it its a monster of a game it can be so complex 

Haha. Spot on!

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I used to about 2 years ago and made it to 1600 in 7 months.  After many of my awakenings, it became too much of a thinking sport, but I kind of want to revisit it again since it's pretty healthy to be a good strategic thinker and to work your brain. 

Just sharing a very unpopular opinion. 

Chess can still be good as a hobby and I'm not hating on the game. But getting good at chess means ... getting good at chess. Nothing more. That strategic thinking you develop - you develop it only for chess. Memorizing move sequences does not make you smarter or better at anything else but playing chess. Have that in mind. I'm going to leave you with a quote from Einstein here to illustrate my point:

"Chess holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer."

@fridjonk It depends on what you use it. You can use it to play video games. Then you can get good at playing video games but suck at everything else. I guess a lot of teenagers nowadays illustrate that point. It's the same with chess and anything else really. 

Look, it's a tough pill to swallow, but all those similar games like Rubik's cube, Go, etc, they're smart people's drugs. Again, I've got nothing against them, but they'll ultimately waste so much time of your life you could have used for more valuable things. I get why you're getting defensive. It took me a long time to realize this as well. 

I think you guys will appreciate this guy if you want to start chess or get better, he makes learning the game fun

Yes. I did one game on Chess.com where I didn't have any mistakes or blunders and only 1 inaccuracy (the rest were primarily best moves), but other than that, I'm pretty noob :P

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

47 minutes ago, EnlightenmentBlog said:

I get why you're getting defensive.

Lol, what? Why would I care about this in the slightest, I left chess behind precisely because I wasn't attached to it.