Blackhawk

When you tell people about Leo Gura..

36 posts in this topic

When I tell people about Leo, they Google him, see that someone calls Leo a cult leader, and then immediately label him a cult leader and refuse to listen to Leo even for a second.

And/or they see that he sells a life purpose course for $249 and because of that immediately labels him a scammer and refuses to listen to him even for a second.

I've never been able to make anyone watch a video by Leo. (I'm not pushing them, I'm being gentle.)

It's sad.

Edited by Blackhawk

Yep people dont really investigate things for themselves, they just assume things about people without listening or investigate

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

Most people just want to be told how smart they are. 

@Blackhawk  Spirituality is a very tricky business. You cannot prove enlightenment. And if someone makes money with it, it's easy to be a sceptic and say: "oh he just wants to make money with naive people".

What they don't know is Leo is bad at marketing and he is doing it intentionally as he mentioned.

I work in eCommerce, and I can tell you Leo would sell at least 2-3x as many courses if he just used retargeting ads for people who perform certain actions on his website ( I won't go into details, but it is pretty simple to make retargeting funnels), he could sell more products and have a lot of costumers for life, by making events, selling new stuff etc.

I don't see any downsides doing this in the short term, but he could use that for exponential growth, which is sometimes chaotic and stressfull.

However I think the devil in me would want to just pump as much money out of it as possible, because growth is really satisfying.

Stupidity is only sad if you expect it not to be stupid :)

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I can kind of understand why there's so much scepticism around the subject of 'new religious movements', just because there have been so many high profile cults in the past and people are wary of being suckered into something by a glossy and friendly looking exterior. Sex and money scandals don't help the cause either -  eg when I was just about to start reading The Mind Illuminated this month, I yahoo'd Culadasa to discover he'd been sacked from a spiritual teaching position for committing adultery. That's leaving me in two minds whether to continue reading his book, is that narrow minded of me?  There's lots of opinions around posing as facts nowadays. Anyway, the upshot is that Leo is growing his audience, is making a living out of it, and hasn't had anything negative proven against him so it's as good as you can expect?  (I never heard of retargeting funnels before so can't comment on that).

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

42 minutes ago, Shin said:

Stupidity is only sad if you expect it not to be stupid :)

..  Has been successfully added to wisdom quite library.

And/or they see that he sells a life purpose course for $249 and because of that immediately labels him a scammer and refuses to listen to him even for a second.

Yeah, when I showed Leo's videos to one of my most neurotic, sex-addicted friends who was bullied all trough school, he instantly labeled Leo a scammer because of money making out of his course/book list etc.

9 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

Yeah, when I showed Leo's videos to one of my most neurotic, sex-addicted friends who was bullied all trough school, he instantly labeled Leo a scammer because of money making out of his course/book list etc.

I don't know why they don't understand that Leo needs to get money from somewhere. And if he would get a regular job he wouldn't have much time or energy for doing all the work which is needed for all the content. So obviously the content wouldn't be that good then.

If he would sell a large amount of stuff for high prices then I would understand them.

That actually might be the more reasonable approach in some circumstances. Feels like most people are either too gullible or too closed-minded, and I'd be rather too closed-minded/hyper rationalist. 

1 hour ago, meow_meow said:

..  Has been successfully added to wisdom quite library.

He shouldn't go buy anything from the supermarket, obviously they are scammers since they ask money too.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I find it really strange that when you google Leo Gura the first thing that comes up is RationalWiki, followed by videos made by this random guy called Andreas Carlund who has 600 subs. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

“People reject what they do not understand because it makes them feel small. They would rather believe in some other reality, even if it is only an illusion, so long as it makes them feel bigger.”

― Suzy Kassem

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

You shouldn't tell people about Leo. He offers a kind of medicine that not everyone is seeking or in need for. If you see someone troubled, fine you can tell them. But otherwise please don't.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

2 hours ago, snowyowl said:

I can kind of understand why there's so much scepticism around the subject of 'new religious movements', just because there have been so many high profile cults in the past and people are wary of being suckered into something by a glossy and friendly looking exterior. Sex and money scandals don't help the cause either -  eg when I was just about to start reading The Mind Illuminated this month, I yahoo'd Culadasa to discover he'd been sacked from a spiritual teaching position for committing adultery. That's leaving me in two minds whether to continue reading his book, is that narrow minded of me?  There's lots of opinions around posing as facts nowadays. Anyway, the upshot is that Leo is growing his audience, is making a living out of it, and hasn't had anything negative proven against him so it's as good as you can expect?  (I never heard of retargeting funnels before so can't comment on that).

Re Culadasa (and Leo too)- make a distinction between the bathwater and the baby in it. There is value in both of the materials they provide and to make a definition of perfection, apply it and then a-judge by the definition will mean one misses out on some incredibly useful stuff. 

@Corpus  yeah, good points. For TMI, I'm starting by skim reading through to get a feel its content before deciding whether to do a serious study. As my reading time is limited (busy life!) I need to choose my longer projects with care - my reading list is long and I'm a slow reader. The question at the back of my mind is, is the person's behaviour in real life going to be reflected in the quality of their writing/videos etc. Come to think of it, the reason why I got the TMI book and started watching Leo in the first place was other people's recommendations who I trusted.  A bit like choosing a plumber :) 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Can't "make" anyone do anything, rather be who you can to catalyze interest in them, so that one day, they're ready to start their own journey.

Notice the desire to share that which we are enthusiastic about. Beware of allowing yourself get demotivated by not having anyone to share with ^_^

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

I’ve learned the hard way it’s best not to go telling everyone I meet about actualized.org ;)

Edited by SonataAllegro

I’ve thought about this before. I’ve previously tried to show 4-5 people Leo’s videos. A couple of friends and family members. Because I was trying to help them understand about self actualising and that type of thing, understanding consciousness and God. In the hope they may take more of an interest to improve their own lives and look to try and answer for themselves the questions about existence they have. A couple just don’t bother listening and the other couple that did just said that guys lost the plot or said you can understand why I find this stuff hard to believe. I said you don’t believe it, you do the work to find out for yourself. That is when I stopped any focus on trying to push or nudge anyone into self realisation. If asked I might throw a few things in there to try and get them to think about these things for themselves, but usually it just goes over their head. I came to the realisation that you can’t force or push Leo or any of this type of work of self actualising on people. If and when they’re interested, they will find Leo and other teachers on their own, as I did. If you truly want to find out what you are, where you came from, and what existence and reality is, you will find Leo Gura on your path. Especially in this day and age of internet. Whether you choose to go with his teachings is another thing. If I come across someone who is serious about this work, I would likely recommend checking out leo, but as I never actually have personally come across anybody who is in the process of self actualising and investigating themselves or reality, I just don’t. I crack on with my own work and let the rest around me fuck about with their ego games and materialistic paradigm in their so called physical reality 

@Blackhawk It's alright. People are infinitely beautiful, and seeking to guide them to 'more beauty' by providing a 'step forward' falls short of the beauty they already possess. They are perfectly perfect. 

Then there's the relative domain.

Edited by SirVladimir