FredFred

It's not clear to me that all I am is awareness

32 posts in this topic

It may be one of the most repeated concepts in spirituality, yet I somehow don't think I get it?

Of course I can pause for a second and see that I am aware of my experience. I can also be aware that I am aware. But it's not clear to me that I am only awareness.

If all I am is awareness, how come it feels like I'm in control so much? I can move my hand, I can walk this way, run that way, say particular words in a particular order, etc. I just don't get it!

There's also things I can't do, like make my mind stop, instantly get rid of my addictions, make emotions arise/dissolve at will, etc. But I don't know how this fits in all of that.

Does this issue need an awakening experience to be resolved? Any help on this? Thanks!

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Just keep going back to the experience of being aware of awareness. Also check out Rupert Spiras yoga meditations on youtube they will help resolve alot of doubt and also help remove contracted energy in the body. 

@FredFred Well, then, you're shit out of luck cause there's nothing but awareness.

Name something else.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

56 minutes ago, FredFred said:

Does this issue need an awakening experience to be resolved? Any help on this? Thanks!

Yes - try doing self inquiry.  Discover what you think you actually are first.  The brain? The body? The soul? An entity behind the eyes?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Yes you have free will as well. This propels you through time.

17 minutes ago, whatthefucksgoinon said:

Just keep going back to the experience of being aware of awareness. Also check out Rupert Spiras yoga meditations on youtube they will help resolve alot of doubt and also help remove contracted energy in the body. 

Like Rupert a lot, will do!

12 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@FredFred Well, then, you're shit out of luck cause there's nothing but awareness.

Name something else.

My notebook

I'm aware of a notebook, but I still don't get how the notebook is made out of awareness.

Tbh I don't know anything, this is all belief and no experience for me at this point.

4 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Yes

More work to do for me

Edited by FredFred

Breathing out, I smile.

you've never experienced anything outside of your awareness

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

You need to actually sit and meditate formally in order to have this key insight.  You need to rigorously observe awareness and try to find where “you” are amongst all of the changes in consciousness. 

This is what I would consider to be the first or one of the first things you need to understand before you can really start to understand anything else about non-duality.

3 minutes ago, The Lucid Dreamer said:

You need to actually sit and meditate formally in order to have this key insight.  You need to rigorously observe awareness and try to find where “you” are amongst all of the changes in consciousness. 

This is what I would consider to be the first or one of the first things you need to understand before you can really start to understand anything else about non-duality.

I think that's it, thank you :)

Breathing out, I smile.

If it's not clear to you... What is aware of that?

1 hour ago, FredFred said:

There's also things I can't do, like make my mind stop, instantly get rid of my addictions, make emotions arise/dissolve at will, etc. But I don't know how this fits in all of that.

This too is the nature of awareness. Awareness is all inclusive.

2 hours ago, FredFred said:

It may be one of the most repeated concepts in spirituality, yet I somehow don't think I get it?

Of course I can pause for a second and see that I am aware of my experience. I can also be aware that I am aware. But it's not clear to me that I am only awareness.

If all I am is awareness, how come it feels like I'm in control so much? I can move my hand, I can walk this way, run that way, say particular words in a particular order, etc. I just don't get it!

Maybe it's because you're trying to conceptualize it name it and put it in a box and mark it as understood.

Maybe it's unknowable?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

There's the thought, then theres the awareness of the thought. You can be attached or not attached to the thoughts. When youre attached, and you have been all of your life, this creates the idea that you are the thoughts.  But upon detachment, it is clearly seen that they are just constructs and repeat on their own. 

Also the idea of control is another mental construct.

Edited by DreamScape

Genesis 27:27-29

Perhaps because you don't realize that your It! Like an eye that cannot see it self.

Like Rupert a lot, will do!

My notebook

I'm aware of a notebook, but I still don't get how the notebook is made out of awareness.

More work to do for me

Like awareness, there is also lack of awareness. Other people are aware of many of the things you are aware of, but you are not aware of everything another person is aware of. Awareness forms units known as mind, soul, etc.

What else could it be made out of???

Just take a psychedelic and you will understand instantly.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, DreamScape said:

There's the thought, then theres the awareness of the thought. You can be attached or not attached to the thoughts. When youre attached, and you have been all of your life, this creates the idea that you are the thoughts.  But upon detachment, it is clearly seen that they are just constructs and repeat on their own. 

Also the idea of control is another mental construct.

Like this ?

Thoughts that are identified with cause emotions... love these emotions to death.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

3 hours ago, louhad said:

This right here

Screenshot_20200713-180132__01.jpg

6 hours ago, Artsu said:

Yes you have free will as well. This propels you through time.

Hahahahahha.

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.