Preety_India

I don't watch TV at all. Normal?

21 posts in this topic

I just don't watch TV at all. Is this normal ?

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Raphael

1 minute ago, Raphael said:

I don't too, but I'm a quite addicted to Youtube.

Yeah I find TV very boring. 

@Preety_India There are a lot of good things on TV, I like documentaries, nature programmes , some kinds of comedy , and every now and then  decent movie is shown.

Although, I don't watch a lot of TV either. There have been times I've gone through life not even having a TV and been just fine.

I like TV, it's a nice way to zone out for entertainments sake. I don't think it's healthy to be glued to the TV though. It can have a brainwashing effect, but that really depends on as you say, how much self actualisation you have done. Independent thinking etc

Just now, Nickyy said:

@Preety_India There are a lot of good things on TV, I like documentaries, nature programmes , some kinds of comedy , and every now and then  decent movie is shown.

Although, I don't watch a lot of TV either. There have been times I've gone through life not even having a TV and been just fine.

I like TV, it's a nice way to zone out for entertainments sake. I don't think it's healthy to be glued to the TV though. It can have a brainwashing effect, but that really depends on as you say, how much self actualisation you have done. Independent thinking etc

True

Now, it's pretty common is I guess.

But I do watch a lot of other than what is conventionally shown on TV.

Haven't watched TV in 10 years lol

I glimpse a few minutes every now and then until i realize why i quit in the first place.

It literally feels like i am watching Idiocracy the movie, every tv show, every channel is worthless garbage for the mind.

The only things worthwhile are Animal/Wild-life and similar frequency programs.

B R E A T H E

Cable watching TV has been declining for years. People are now swtiching towards watching Youtube, netflix, and subscription based channels on their computers and iPads instead.

Here is an illustration of the decline of People-Using-Television (PUT) over the past 5 years.

TV Decline.png

This is a subject where normal doesnt equate to healthy. If you are below the normal amount of TV watching of the general public that usually means you have better habits that take up your time.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Agree with everyone said already.

Tv by himself isn’t that beatiful, ur forced to watch a lot of publicity to enjoy a movie for example..which leave u bored and exhausted about..the other way around as free media on YouTube or private documentary/lesson/self actualization..can give u this fullness sensation because u learned something probably more constructive :)  that’s my feeling much love ❤️❤️

Edited by Fede83

I actually just sat down in front of a TV for a first time in many months and skipped through a few channels to see what happens.

It lasted a good 2 minutes of flicking threw channels before this happened to me at 0:35 mark.

Now i need therapy. Maybe some 5-MEO or 33grams Mushrooms... Never again.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I didn't watch TV for like 10 years now.. :D Not even movies, I don't have Netflix.

Tried to watch an anime the other day, but it was so boring that I deleted the mobile app. 

@Preety_India You might enjoy a Gaia subscription.

Edited by Aquarius

I quit watching TV about 25 years ago and haven't owned once since. It was definitely one of the best life decisions I ever made.

TV is such a gigantic waste of time and attention.

Nowadays I get sucked into my phone and the internet too often. It's easy to just completely get rid of TV, and then it never becomes a decision you have to make, but it's harder to draw boundaries with phones and internet because they are so intrinsic to modern life. You could just go offline completely in theory, but it would be difficult, and potentially disabling.

I guess the modern equivalent of getting rid of your TV is getting a dumb phone. But it feels like it would be hobbling to not have all the superpowers of a smart phone.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@pluto lmao thank you for that laugh

Was it the commercials that did it for you? Even when I enjoy a TV program now and then the commercial breaks are so mind-numbing to me. Probably my biggest beef with television, how all the marketing is warping your value system trying to sell happiness with material objects. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

It's not normal if you're talking for the average person but it's probably best if you don't watch TV anyways. I mean a movie or a couple episodes of a show here and there is by no means bad but people waste a lot of time watching mindless television. I'm with you though, commercials make me really uncomfortable, it's such blatant brainwashing and people eat it up. 

Haven't watched TV in over 22 years ever since my parents threw it out when I was 10. I do like to watch a few things now and then, but it's mostly once a week or so. And I do watch somewhere around 5-10 movies a year. Works fine. Saves money and time. You can do so many things in the time you spend lodged in front of a box. 

Salutations Preety_India,

On 11/18/2019 at 8:00 AM, Preety_India said:

Yeah I find TV very boring.

IMO it's even more irritating when mixed with plain old bigot propaganda, which is routine where i live and that's the canuck land of cap'tain Itnoc:  In The Name Of Children...

Good day, have fun!!  B|