Tony 845

You’re enlightened! So why are you still on this forum?

198 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Jkris said:

@Joseph Maynor can you please explain what ego means to you? 

Ego is a feeling (sense of me, i feeling) or ego is a thought? 

When we try to reduce Ego to feelings or thoughts, that's the Mind trying to define Ego.  If I tried to steal your phone from you when you're walking and unaware of your surroundings, that would give you a more realistic insight as to what Ego is.  Ego is a mechanism. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Tony 845 What you call enlightenment is only the beginning of a process of God-realization. "Mainstream" enlightened gurus are hardly at that level. There are benefits to being active in an enlightenment forum. The most important thing is exposure to shakti directed at spiritual evolution. 

51 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Tony 845 What you call enlightenment is only the beginning of a process of God-realization. "Mainstream" enlightened gurus are hardly at that level. There are benefits to being active in an enlightenment forum. The most important thing is exposure to shakti directed at spiritual evolution. 

It's cute how you define Enlightenment for everyone so confidently as "a process of God-realization."  Are you sure?  What if I define Enlightenment as the smell of freshly-baked cinnamon buns?  Which one of us gets to be the one right one point of view here?

cinnamon-buns.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor You get to be your own point of view, always. It's a matter of perspective. The only objectivity in it is that you can find other people who agree with me, as i'm sure you can find people who agree with you. Experience is subjective, in the end. 

5 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Joseph Maynor You get to be your own point of view, always. It's a matter of perspective. The only objectivity in it is that you can find other people who agree with me, as i'm sure you can find people who agree with you. Experience is subjective, in the end. 

I've found that everyone on here couldn't disagree more about Enlightenment even if they tried to -- and that makes perfect sense to me because Enlightenment is not a clinging to any point of view about Enlightenment.  It's like trying to eat a menu expecting to taste the food in the picture.  Enlightenment will pop that defining Mind out and away from being the center of your life.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Yes I've also read statements like that in books (the bit with the menu and stuff). Let's see if our points of view actually disagree. I say that enlightenment is the beginning of God-realization. You are saying (perhaps jokingly, perhaps not) that enlightenment is "smell of freshly-baked cinnamon buns". In the latter case, is the smell separate from God? Isn't realizing this, God-realization?

You see what i've wrote in the signature area: "Relativity is implied. Shut up about it."

The issue is not so much that points of view are incompatible by their nature, but rather that we are unable to see compatibility. 

9 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Joseph Maynor Yes I've also read statements like that in books (the bit with the menu and stuff). Let's see if our points of view actually disagree. I say that enlightenment is the beginning of God-realization. You are saying (perhaps jokingly, perhaps not) that enlightenment is "smell of freshly-baked cinnamon buns". In the latter case, is the smell separate from God? Isn't realizing this, God-realization?

You see what i've wrote in the signature area: "Relativity is implied. Shut up about it."

The issue is not so much that points of view are incompatible by their nature, but rather that we are unable to see compatibility. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

By your logic, isn't what he is saying not just another pov?

3 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

By your logic, isn't what he is saying not just another pov?

Enlightenment is not about point of view or logic.  This is like trying to define throwing a football instead of just picking up the ball and throwing it.  Can you imagine seeking the one right definition of throwing a football?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

11 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Joseph Maynor What is it about? 

What is it that which asks: What is it about?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Tony 845 The last oxherding picture is the oxherder going into the world again to relieve it from suffering. So doesn't it make sense for an enlightened being go back here and helping anyone on the path? ?

@Joseph Maynor This is all mind game. Self-inquiry is 4th dimensional consciousness attempting to confine itself by logic. Let me show you a picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flammarion.jpg

You see that rainbow? It represents the moment of transition from 4th to 5th dimension. Whatever Eckhart is saying in that video, or what Ramana says with self-inquiry is applicable before that point.

It is true that enlightenment is in the now, and that you don't add enlightenment. It's always there.

But neither Ramana, or Eckhart talk about what comes next afterwards. What happens as your experience in the heart deepens? Language breaks down here. Whatever can be said, is a mere translation of experience into objective language which is never accurate.

But that doesn't mean things don't happen within enlightenment. So I say this again. It's the best of my ability: Enlightenment is the beginning of the process of God realization.

10 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Joseph Maynor This is all mind game. Self-inquiry is 4th dimensional consciousness attempting to confine itself by logic. Let me show you a picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flammarion.jpg

You see that rainbow? It represents the moment of transition from 4th to 5th dimension. Whatever Eckhart is saying in that video, or what Ramana says with self-inquiry is applicable before that point.

It is true that enlightenment is in the now, and that you don't add enlightenment. It's always there.

But neither Ramana, or Eckhart talk about what comes next afterwards. What happens as your experience in the heart deepens? Language breaks down here. Whatever can be said, is a mere translation of experience into objective language which is never accurate.

But that doesn't mean things don't happen within enlightenment. So I say this again. It's the best of my ability: Enlightenment is the beginning of the process of God realization.

I like to define Enlightenment as the location of being and the transcendence of the Ego-Mind, which is a transcendence of both the Ego and the Mind.  But of course this is just a finger pointing to the moon.  Enlightenment is a transformation not an idea.  But this is the most useful way I've found to use words to try to conceptually encircle Enlightenment for those on the Path still stuck in the Mind.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor A perspective change is a good analogy. But hey, for me, it only began to become actual once I let my heart open. All Self-inquiry did was to dissolve identity a bit. I'd say its more dangerous than practical.

The experience of the heart opening is very physical and only occurs when your surrender. 

1 minute ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Joseph Maynor A perspective change is a good analogy. But hey, for me, it only began to become actual once I let my heart open. All Self-inquiry did was to dissolve identity a bit. I'd say its more dangerous than practical.

The experience of the heart opening is very physical and only occurs when your surrender. 

I agree.  Heart opening naturally follows from transcendence of the Ego and transcendence of the Mind.

6 hours ago, Tony 845 said:

@ajasatya nice! May I ask how? Self inquiry? Mediation? 

zazen, self inquiry, hatha/kundalini yoga and ayahuasca.

unborn Truth