Manjushri

Pick only one : Self inquiry / Meditation. Why?

92 posts in this topic

I used to do my self inquiry while ripping my Yamaha YZ250 through the woods at around 80 - 90 mph.  Then it hit me. I could just relax my mind and do this. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

9 minutes ago, Speedscarlet said:

@Gligorije Meditation is defence. Self-inquiry is offence.

Both these traditional means are positive/negative movement is self. 

Both means project a fixed goal/end. 

What happens when there is no means?, therefore nothing fixed? :)

Edited by Jack River

6 minutes ago, Gligorije said:

@Rilles Oh hi Tommy I didn't know it was you

Haha what a story Mark

Dont look at me! Look inside!

7 hours ago, Nahm said:

I used to do my self inquiry while ripping my Yamaha YZ250 through the woods at around 80 - 90 mph.  Then it hit me. I could just relax my mind and do this. 

You make me so jelly :(

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

@Gligorije Self-inquiry. It is the only direct method for knowing the Self. Meditation requires admitting the existence of objects which is duality. 

1 hour ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Gligorije Self-inquiry. It is the only direct method for knowing the Self. Meditation requires admitting the existence of objects which is duality. 

How does meditation admit existence of objects? 

@Consilience

Traditionally described, meditation is the act of fixing one's awareness upon an object, whether a candle, a thought, or even one's own breathing - with the purpose of quieting the mind. Of course, different people use the term for different practices, and that might be the case with you.

I learned that there are different categories of meditation: 1. analytical meditation involving conceptual thinking, 2. concentrative meditation with one (mental) object to focus on which leads to concentrative states of bliss and non-conceptualty states and 3. meditation in emptiness (neither thought nor object, letting go of everything).

As a rule a practical meditation is often a combination of two or three of these and one often starts with 1 (even if not fully aware of it) before going further to 2 or one starts with 1 before going further to 2 and finally 3. Reason is that one first has to be rightly motivated and then calm down before being able to concentrate single pointedly or even being able to let go of everything.

I am assuming that what you call "self inquiry" I would call "analytical meditation".

Edited by ground

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

7 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

Self-inquiry does not involve thinking.

I think Self-inquiry has meditation built into it? It feels like that to me.

Instead of meditating on the breath with normal meditation you meditate on the sense of 'I' with Self-inquiry.

Interesting. Then it seems to be a kind of concentrative meditation although the term "inquiry" makes me think of analysis and analysis would be impossible without conceptual thought.

Edited by ground

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

Self-inquiry = meditation, let the mind become silent and you find everything that you are searching for.

35 minutes ago, ground said:

I learned that there are different categories of meditation: 1. analytical meditation involving conceptual thinking, 2. concentrative meditation with one (mental) object to focus on which leads to concentrative states of bliss and non-conceptualty states and 3. meditation in emptiness (neither thought nor object, letting go of everything).

As a rule a practical meditation is often a combination of two or three of these and one often starts with 1 (even if not fully aware of it) before going further to 2 or one starts with 1 before going further to 2 and finally 3. Reason is that one first has to be rightly motivated and then calm down before being able to concentrate single pointedly or even being able to let go of everything.

I am assuming that what you call "self inquiry" I would call "analytical meditation".

The only mediation that could result in positive changes when talking about realizing the Self is the third one.

Self inquiry is not analytical meditation. It will appear to be so if it is misunderstood and mispracticed. The purpose of self inquiry is to get rid of the non-Self so the Self can shine through clearly. The purpose is not to psychoanalyze oneself. In the words of the great sage Ramana, when asked to take out the trash, one takes out the trash. One does not sift through the bag looking at each piece.

self inquiry is watching the thoughts/emotions in movement, clinging to thought. while meditation is inviting to arise whatever might arise, while letting go.

Edited by now is forever

They can be the same thing - tadaa!

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts