Manjushri

Pick only one : Self inquiry / Meditation. Why?

92 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Intellect discriminates, judges and reasons. Lower aspects of mind, act compulsively, it's the intellects job, so to speak, to pull it together and make the decisions. I think emotions/feelings stir up more so with lower mind, imo.

the lower mind can use the intellect/upper mind as its outlet, without the intellect knowing so.  So intellectualization/rational-decision making often has the lower mind as its master.  There is an emotion-based decision, and the intellect steps in to rationalize it as if the intellect was in control.  In this sense, it is hard to distinguish a "lower mind" from an "upper mind" --- just "mind."

@robdl Yes, I see what you're saying. It also depends whose mind we are talking about...hehe.? One mind may be more prone to this, then another.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I don’t see any part as upper or lower as that seems like measure established by thought itself. 

9 minutes ago, robdl said:

There is an emotion-based decision, and the intellect steps in to rationalize it as if the intellect was in control.  In this sense, it is hard to distinguish a "lower mind" from an "upper mind" --- just "mind."

Fosho. 

The awareness talked about here  is simply seeing the whole process/movement itself. 

Edited by Jack River

An unawareness to the thought/emotion connection/relationship is really what limits thinking/being and prevents the chance of non-being. 

Thought will react to emotion without being aware of that and vice versa. It seems really difficult to be aware of this. One reason is thought avoids insecurity that arises because of that relationship and because it’s simply difficult to attend to the process. 

You can test this by bringing up the memory of a word that made you angry. That word and the meaning/concept interpreted will bring about the emotion/feeling. Ofcourse it has to be a genuine discomfort in that memory/word.

Edited by Jack River

48 minutes ago, Jack River said:

An unawareness to the thought/emotion connection/relationship is really what limits thinking/being and prevents the chance of non-being. 

Thought will react to emotion without being aware of that and vice versa. It seems really difficult to be aware of this. One reason is thought avoids insecurity that arises because of that relationship and because it’s simply difficult to attend to the process. 

You can test this by bringing up the memory of a word that made you angry. That word and the meaning/concept interpreted will bring about the emotion/feeling. Ofcourse it has to be a genuine discomfort in that memory/word.

Well said! The identifying/judging the relationship 

then comes avoidance to what is further perpetuating it, never seeing it all as one movement 

bringing about the limited thinking/being 

3 hours ago, DrewNows said:

bringing about the limited thinking/being 

And preventing the unforeseen beheading. 

@Anna1 I agree to disagree my friend :) I can always be wrong, I don't state I have full understanding. But from my current understanding what you say is simply not true. In the end, I don't really care to be honest. It's a word game in the end. Just interesting to note that all teachers point to something beyond the mind/beyond the intellect or whatever you call it. Realization happens in the mind AFTER the unmanifested realizes itself. I'm not saying to trust external sources, it's just a pointer. 

Anyway, this discussion has no meaning, feels like you just want to show you're right. Maybe you are. Maybe not. Always stay open and don't come to conclusions too soon (saying this to myself as well). Namaste 

@peanutspathtotruth Everyone on this forum thinks something different. I think what I think and I have reasons behind what I think.

18 minutes ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

Realization happens in the mind AFTER the unmanifested realizes itself.

I never said this wasn't the case. It still happens in the mind, as I said or you wouldn't "ever" be aware of it.

I really hate forums. All the misunderstandings. Such as waste of time going around and around with ppl. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

FoshoxD it happens. 

One veil-lens conflicting with another. We can use this interaction of conflict to learn from though. Namean @Anna1 :x

Edited by Jack River

2 hours ago, Anna1 said:

@peanutspathtotruth Everyone on this forum thinks something different. I think what I think and I have reasons behind what I think.

I never said this wasn't the case. It still happens in the mind, as I said or you wouldn't "ever" be aware of it.

I really hate forums. All the misunderstandings. Such as waste of time going around and around with ppl. 

You're right. I'm sorry if I bent anything you said. Still have to work on myself regarding clear communication and the need to be right - yes I'm guilty.
Let's just leave it where it is :) Have a beautiful day <3 

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

On 23/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, lmfao said:

I can't help but feel that this question is like asking "tits or ass" and the answer to the question is always "both" 

LOL xD

On 22/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, Shin said:

If you're just starting, meditation.

If it's already been some years, then both, otherwise the chance of making real progress is very low.

Oh shit, I gotta get started with enquiring :o

Edited by Gligorije