Manjushri

Pick only one : Self inquiry / Meditation. Why?

92 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Preetom said:

You've got it spot on my friend!

The very purpose of doing neti neti is to refine the intellect more and more. Normally, a person is totally identified with the contents of his experience. 

At one point, this discrimination skill gets so sharp that clever thoughts like 'I want enlightnement' and intellect itself is seen as another subtle object. At this point, neti neti collapses as a mental labeling or intellectual categorizing. 

A holistic, pure, effortless Witnessing takes place. This is what J. Krishnamurti called choiceless Awareness. It was always there, now it shines and you know it first hand. 

Great that you've had this breakthrough :D 

Very nice way of putting it. Thanks for the feedback :) 

2 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Yes however it’s interpreted as more of a “game” in childhood therefore it doesn’t have as great of an impact. 

I didnt like this game lol, although I did seek satisfaction in experiences. 

2 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Unfortunately it’s when the training begins to psychologically become going on to create much conflict 

I always resisted trianing, although I did get caught in pleasure seeking. Looking for that big wave, gnarly skating trick, sexy girl. ?

Edited by Jack River

@Jack RiverHow could you not like the games? As children we had wicked imaginations so it was only natural to use whatever we learned to have fun unfortunately even as kids things were often taken too seriously 

10 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@Jack RiverHow could you not like the games? As children we had wicked imaginations so it was only natural to use whatever we learned to have fun unfortunately even as kids things were often taken too seriously 

The game obviously seemed to have a downside. A what comes up must come down effect. This even though I continued years after I saw its reality, i saw as a game that was kinda stupid or dangerous. I just could never see it holistically till recently. 

Edited by Jack River

@peanutspathtotruth woooo weeee!

My point, any perceiving, conceiving what so ever is in the mind, which intellect is the dicriminitive function of the mind. So, if the mind isn't functioning, well,  then you would not have these thoughts now about your experience. 

Peace out

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 hour ago, Preetom said:

A holistic, pure, effortless Witnessing takes place. This is what J. Krishnamurti called choiceless Awareness. It was always there, now it shines and you know it first hand. 

Yes, and this true witnessing takes place in the mind (ie, intellect), otherwise you would be ignorant of it.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I can see that the mind is at the Center of all observing, although the conditioned response of the intellect (time) seems to tend to see/witness only what it knows (interprets) from memory/content, and doesn't see what it doesn’t know/recollect or recognize., but instead sees/observes it’s own psychological movement in motion(time-becoming). A movement towards what should be/ away from what is, both being influenced or a reaction the past(time). This seems to be a pursuit that has its root in thought(the past “personal experience/knowledge as the me” 

But in this watching/AWARENESS, it’s like a type of watching without the old(knowledge-experience) influencing the integrity of the watching.

This is why watching “movement as a whole is really an approach of awareness that makes what is very complex (the intellect) quite more simple/applicable to attend too. In this we are not seeing with the intellect, which implies the veil of self and it’s content(personal knowledge/experience. Otherwise I would then be caught up in the word and be caught in the thought/emotion cycle of resistance/identification as a result. 

When there is watching of movement the word has no significance in of itself. But it’s a watching that is aware of the responses to inward movement of emotion reactions, the bodily/feeling/reactions, and all that in relation to then word(intellect/thoughts). Watching the movement seems to include the whole of experience and not just a fragment of it(its meaning).

I notice when I look through the fragment(intellect/self) I tend to exclude other parts, which leads to a fragmented observation. A watching that has seperated itself as the watcher(ego/self). 

This is the best I can explain it so far. 

@Jack River I didn't read most of your post, I'm sorry it gives me a headache, trying to follow your reasoning.

Did you/do you know that Self-realization happen's in the intellect?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

20 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

@Jack River I didn't read most of your post, I'm sorry it gives me a headache, trying to follow your reasoning.

Did you/do you know that Self-realization happen's in the intellect?

No reasoning, just laying itnor how its observed. 

Im just speaking of awareness that is not identified with thought/intellect thefore it seems to see the whole movement of itself. 

Edited by Jack River

1 hour ago, Anna1 said:

Yes, and this true witnessing takes place in the mind (ie, intellect), otherwise you would be ignorant of it.

And who is witnessing the mind witnessing itself? 

25 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Im just speaking of awareness that is not identified with thought/intellect thefore it seems to see the whole movement of itself.

Intellect doesn't mean thought or intelligence. It is the discriminating "function" of the mind. Pure Awareness is "reflected" within the intellect, causing the sense "I AM".

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

And who is witnessing the mind witnessing itself? 

Pure Awareness is a non-experiencing witness. It is called a witness only figuratively, because without the mind, witnessing can't happen. The realization one isn't the mind paradoxically occurs within the mind. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

4 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Pure Awareness is a non-experiencing witness.

Or putting it another way, "Observation without the 'Observer'".   Observation that is not taking place through the viewing lens of the past/accumulated thought/"me".

26 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@Jack Riverwhy do we desipher Intelligence from intellect? 

Intelligence is like a harmony between the intellect and emotions. The awareness im referring to obseves the whole process of emotion/thought as one unit in movement, which brings about order/harmony in thinking. To make what is extremely fragmented or limited, more whole. 

Edited by Jack River

In this intelligent action thought/intellect doesn’t seem to respond compulsively but only when needed to function. I think because of the of intellect/emotional harmony. This I noticed can allow times of pure being/nonbeing. 

Edited by Jack River

24 minutes ago, robdl said:

Or putting it another way, "Observation without the 'Observer'".   Observation that is not taking place through the viewing lens of the past/accumulated thought/"me".

Great way to put it dude. 

32 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Pure Awareness is a non-experiencing witness. It is called a witness only figuratively, because without the mind, witnessing can't happen. The realization one isn't the mind paradoxically occurs within the mind. 

Makes sense ?

26 minutes ago, robdl said:

Ahh yes like an unidentifiable alertness 

17 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Intelligence is like a harmony between the intellect and emotions. The awareness im referring to obseves the whole process of emotion/thought as one unit in movement, which brings about order/harmony in thinking. To make what is extremely fragmented or limited, more whole. 

I like how you put this. A mindful harmony giving clarity 

1 minute ago, DrewNows said:

like how you put this. A mindful harmony giving clarity 

Excellent. Nice to communicate successfully for once ??

7 minutes ago, Jack River said:

In this intelligent action thought/intellect doesn’t seem to respond compulsively but only when needed to function. I think because of the of intellect/emotional harmony. 

Intellect discriminates, judges and reasons. Lower aspects of mind, act compulsively, it's the intellects job, so to speak, to pull it together and make the decisions. I think emotions/feelings stir up more so with lower mind, imo.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?