Sahil Pandit

Recontextualization Mega-Thread

304 posts in this topic

Alan Watts discussing recontextualization - I remembered this little old diamond as I was watching Leo's video on recontextualization, and I've just found it again.

I understand that people often ask what practicality these kinds of topics have... There is of course the deep practicality of training yourself to alter your perception of reality, and how that alters your experience of reality and your ability to become more conscious of Infinity...

But here I think Alan Watts gives you a quick win in the sense that he gives your ego another way of transcending pain through recontextualization, which you can begin practicing the next time you feel pain.

My suggestion is practicing this whenever you feel pain or other negative emotions, and you will find yourself becoming more and more conscious.

Here's a direct quote (the emphasis is not added by myself):

"We find that our feelings depend, for their valuation as to whether they be positive or negative, very much as to the context in which they occur."

Play from 5:32 to listen from when he really starts talking about recontextualization.

A beautiful recontextualization. The writers are sooo creative. The expressions, the music. . . wonderful.

@Sahil Pandit That's interesting but I'm not sure if it qualifies as recontextualization for me.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"I want you to slap my ass or fondle my tits if you see me out in public." 

-Leo Gura 2018

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

A simple yet significant re contextualisation example:  In family therapy 

Here’s the gist:

Imagine two dysfunctional folks coming together for marriage and eventually producing a baby. Since the marriage is dysfunctional, the parents are dysfunctional, the child ends up being dysfunctional, pretty obvious.  In family therapy, the patient which is brought in with all these emotional and mental issues is actually seen as a symptom carrier of the dysfunctional family. 

Take this (and I’m borrowing this from this must read called Bradshaw on Family)

Emile is an alcoholic and appears to live in fantasy. She is labelled “unstable” and “sick”. However, seeing things in a larger context changes our perception. We see her interaction with her mother and brother as crucial to keeping the family together. She is no longer the sick, unstable maladaptive daydreamer/alcoholic but instead is seen as a person necessary for keeping the family balanced. The tension b/w the son, Tom, and the mother Amanda are only tempered and kept in check by Emile. When the voltage of these tension gets too high, Emile steps in and gets tom and Amanda to focus on her instead. This distracts them and lowers the voltage. Thus Emile performs a crucial role and Keeps the family together 

The family system functions precisely cause of Emile’s intervention and not in spite of it. One could even call her the caretaker of the family. 

-------

One might get the impression that this is irrational but for someone who has been studying family systems for some time now, I can assure you that this is in fact a very real possibility. 

I’ve observed the intimacy gap being filled in marriages by kids who get into say drugs or fights. A personal example involves my parents getting close by remunerating n stressing over my brother’s school performances and behaviour. so the dysfunction actually serves a purpose. 

Also in family system the role of the trouble maker or the lost child or the scapegoat serve various well defined needs of the system

The point being seeing things in a larger context and how they serve a function changes the perception.

recontextualization-meme.gif

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Genius example all about recontextualization.

Elevators of my mind,

Up and down a million times

Loving you.

There are 16 circles in this picture...

squares:circles.jpg

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

This show is 3 seasons of perpetual and well written Recontecualization.

A great example of manipulation through recontextualization. 

It’s also reflective of capitalism (cost / benefit analysis). Green loves nature documentaries and Orange loves to profit off of it. Notice the difference of how Orange can profit off of nature (fake documentaries) vs how red profits off of nature (cut down the Amazon Rainforest to feel a sense of power by dominating the forest and personal gain). 

And as natural habitats are continuously destroyed, there will be an increase in staged, fake and virtual nature. 

Wash your hands guys. 

@Leo Gura use this one for your book?

IMG_20201209_073407.jpg

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered