Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Yellow Examples Mega-Thread

1,196 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Things that keep him away from yellow would be his attachment to materialism, reductionism, atheism, and capitalism.

I don't believe it's just that, it's also him being uncharitable in debates and looking for any way to aggressively nitpick Bernie, he also agreed with someone else mocking Bernie for his heart.

You have named those examples, but how prominent are they? Not as much as you'd expect, he has more debates against Bernie supporters than against conservatives (where he relies on ideological talking points such as "these communist countries failed therefore you're wrong").

"we only value knowing the truth if it benefits our life" could be interpreted as stage orange self bias.

4 hours ago, tenta said:

"we only value knowing the truth if it benefits our life" could be interpreted as stage orange self bias.

I was paraphrasing way too much, but here is the clip where he is talking about that. He said he had that insight after a huge mushroom trip  :):

1:58:07

I think it's a yellow insight in the way that it recognizes a layer of relativism.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I love Destiny personally, and have been wondering a lot where he would mainly fall on the spiral. He exhibits a lot of yellow abilities in the sense that he can jump paradigms and openly question a topic, although not always, there are things he seems to be closedminded to. This is what makes it difficult to judge.

Also he’s a self-proclaimed materialist/physicalist which from what I’ve heard is very orange.

What do you think?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

On 5/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, Max_V said:

I love Destiny personally, and have been wondering a lot where he would mainly fall on the spiral. He exhibits a lot of yellow abilities in the sense that he can jump paradigms and openly question a topic, although not always, there are things he seems to be closedminded to. This is what makes it difficult to judge.

Also he’s a self-proclaimed materialist/physicalist which from what I’ve heard is very orange.

What do you think?

@Max_V I was a Starcraft player back in the day so I used to see Destiny and his content a lot.

It's been remarkable how much he's transitioned over the years, but I would still peg him as firmly Orange.

He entertains some green/yellow ideals but it's very minimal, he seems extremely stuck in debating, arguing, semantics, and being "right" all the time.

It doesn't take much observation to notice he's an extremely neurotic person.

He is fully engaged in the whole Youtube circle jerk of platform wars, judging others, and "VS" debates. Not the behavior of a systems thinker. 

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

I had a cute little insight about how more modern strains of progressive rock/metal have been evolving in recent years, particularily how it's getting exceedingly harder to place a song into one particular genre, and that just reminds me of the integrative, multi-perspectival nature of yellow. It came to mind when my little brother showed me a song of Devin Townsend's latest album "Empath" where through the course of one single song often, you basically go all the way from opera-esque sections, straight into aimless prog noodling, into black metal breakdowns and maybe even some jazz-inspired sections :)

@Roy agreed. 

Although he does seem to have intellectual openness to some extent. He comes across different and somewhat more aware than most other streamers/content creators. Might be that he is very thorough in thinking through everything, instead of mindlessly aping the status quo. Although he does do that, he seems less constricted in that trap than most.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

On 5/9/2020 at 9:31 PM, Roy said:

@Max_V I was a Starcraft player back in the day so I used to see Destiny and his content a lot.

It's been remarkable how much he's transitioned over the years, but I would still peg him as firmly Orange.

He entertains some green/yellow ideals but it's very minimal, he seems extremely stuck in debating, arguing, semantics, and being "right" all the time.

It doesn't take much observation to notice he's an extremely neurotic person.

He is fully engaged in the whole Youtube circle jerk of platform wars, judging others, and "VS" debates. Not the behavior of a systems thinker. 

He is obviously motivated by a silly anger towards people who want progressive change, even tho they aren't right all the time.

btw what race? I was masters with terran before I quit.

Edited by tenta

23 minutes ago, tenta said:

He is obviously motivated by a silly anger towards people who want progressive change, even tho they aren't right all the time.

You sound like you mainly watched him back in the day, and not recently. His views change a lot.

Although I agree that I sense some part of him liking dunking on people

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

14 hours ago, tenta said:

GM Terran towards the end of HotS. I stopped playing when LotV came out and switched to CS:GO for fun. Slowed down a lot on gaming recently.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

On 5/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, Max_V said:

You sound like you mainly watched him back in the day, and not recently. His views change a lot.

Although I agree that I sense some part of him liking dunking on people

Not really, he has debated and tried to argue against progressives much more than conservatives in recent times and was agreeing with some guy who was mocking Bernie's heart attack. Feels miss-placed to argue that much against people who want medicare for all, which would save lives, on the specifics.

@tenta Tbh you can only argue with conservatives so much before it gets repetitive.

Frank Zappa Comments on American TV Culture
32:07-34:35 
What do you think? :)

On 5/9/2020 at 0:02 PM, tenta said:

Just no.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

14 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Frank Zappa Comments on American TV Culture
32:07-34:35 
What do you think? :)

Thank's for quoting Zappa here, his work has been very important to me. I've been listening and trying to understand him for years.

He was way ahead of his time, he understood american culture and critize it like nobody else and he was authentic as fuck. 

A glimpse of yellow yes, but still I feel he had many prejudices against many things and he stood with his perspective for years.

But its ok for him, he was super into his creative work, I don't think he minded much about expanding his perspective.

Also I have the weird feeling that he's still alive. 

Connect to Create ☼♡