Colin

Joe Rogan - Jordan Peterson's Carnivore Diet Cured His Depression?

22 posts in this topic

fascinating discussion

The kingdom of heaven is within.

Really interresting, anybody tried this or think this could work? This is exactly the opposite of what Leo says in his videos about nutrition.

in cases of mental disorders without serious physiological damage, whatever you do with faith works

it could very much be "throw stones at a lake during the sunset everyday for 2 months"

unborn Truth

6 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

in cases of mental disorders without serious physiological damage, whatever you do with faith works

it could very much be "throw stones at a lake during the sunset everyday for 2 months"

Or there could be legitimate physiological reasons why it makes perfect sense that a diet like this would help to improve any number of health problems. 

The carnivore diet is a full blown elimination diet that removes all the potential allergens and foods that may cause inflammation in the gut. That's why so many people are seeing great results from it - they're not causing gastrointestinal stress which allows their intestinal walls to actually heal themselves. Meat is very well digested and causes little to no waste byproducts if you're eating only meat with no fiber etc. It's not the meat particularly that heals but the ability of the cells to self-selectively start to heal themselves in a state of low inflammation. The effects on depression and cognitive functioning are direct as the person won't have undigested food particles floating into the bloodstream and inflaming the brain.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

I've heard a vegetarian/vegan diet can provoke depression (subtle) because of enzymes or something like that in the brain.

I can't say for sure but meat affect my mood, the few times I had to eat meat (once a month on average) I get more aggressive, goals driven and optimistic (like in a rat race).

As for vegetarian/vegan subtle depression (if it's real) I get used to it, and took full responsibility of my emotions.

Having a clean diet makes my mind sharper, but I don't know if this includes meat or not, since there is so many factors, it's hard to know.

@Colin Cool vid

Then, maybe a carnivore/low carb diet works for few months, but doing that for 10 years is a different thing. Few months is still "short run" consequences.

I'll give it a try with keto diet, I like to experiment.

Edited by Soulbass

3 hours ago, brovakhiin said:

@Scholar

I wonder how long it will take humanity to stop flinging shit at eachother for having different diets work for different people and drop the one size fits all dogma.

I couldn't go full carnivore, not anymore, knowing the environmental damage I'm supporting. But could it fix a different person's health problems? Absolutely, who am I to say no? Good for them.

You are right, but I don't understand what that has to do with the video I posted.

Glory to Israel

@Scholar excellent video thanks for sharing

On 04/07/2018 at 9:56 PM, ajasatya said:

My own experience is that highly restrictive and difficult-to-upkeep diets don't sit well with mental problems. I really appreciate Petersons work on other areas, but I'm really surprised how easily he promotes these diets especially for people with mental health issues. I'm not quite sure are eating disorders generally a bigger issue for women than men (knowing the ratio of Peterson's audience) but the comorbidity in these things is staggering.  And no, rigid diets usually don't do any good to people's mental health and cannot be maintained in the long run, causing their own set of issues. 

@Colin Shawn Baker has done the carnivore diet for a whole year and still does it. He did a blood test with some concerning results. He had bad testosterone levels and had several indicators of being pre diabetic. 

There are no links to meat curing depression in any scientific studies so take what jordan peterson with some grain of salt.

On 2018-07-04 at 9:30 PM, Siim Land said:

The carnivore diet is a full blown elimination diet that removes all the potential allergens and foods that may cause inflammation in the gut.

Except the meat itself which can be the culprit.

@Colin I researched a little and came across this video.

Seems like high meat consumption is linked to depression.

On 04/07/2018 at 8:30 PM, Siim Land said:

The carnivore diet is a full blown elimination diet that removes all the potential allergens and foods that may cause inflammation in the gut. That's why so many people are seeing great results from it - they're not causing gastrointestinal stress which allows their intestinal walls to actually heal themselves. Meat is very well digested and causes little to no waste byproducts if you're eating only meat with no fiber etc. It's not the meat particularly that heals but the ability of the cells to self-selectively start to heal themselves in a state of low inflammation. The effects on depression and cognitive functioning are direct as the person won't have undigested food particles floating into the bloodstream and inflaming the brain.

Great response, this is it ! Same that's happening to Vegetable Police. An undiagnosed ongoing gut issue like SIBO or leaky gut causing direct igE reaction to the eaten food. Nothing changes unless these people address the underlying issue..gojiman made a great video about this topic. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@WelcometoReality awesome, I am not firmly in one camp or the other. I try to use science the best I can and I usually eat to serve some health benefit.

I recently read this book and found it most enjoyable and practical. 

51wv9QTgg3L._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Simplicity has always been Key to all life's issues.

B R E A T H E

So I've been having issues with anxiety for years. Also several other things that can be linked to microbiome dysbiosis like constant joint pain, insomnia, gas/bloating, acne, diarrhea, etc.  I recently had a stool analysis done to see what I could find and I had some some bacteria too low, others too high, and a high measure of calprotectin which is an inflammatory marker in the bowel. I started a radical elimination diet similar to the carnivore diet on July 5th. I've eaten 4 foods for the past month, beef, eggs, coconut oil, and almond butter. I wanted to do the carnivore diet as it's planned but frankly it's god damned expensive to eat several pounds of grass fed beef a day so I had to have some supplemental sources of calories or my grocery bill would be ridiculous.

The results were basically: all digestive issues stopped within 2-3 days, skin cleared up within a week, sleep has steadily improved the longer I've been on the diet, joint pain is radically reduced (I've had these nagging pains for years, this is no coincidence), I can't say that the anxiety is any better because it comes in phases and I simply haven't been on the diet long enough to get a good read on this particular symptom yet. The only downside I've found so far is bad breath, which comes along for the ride on any ketogenic diet.

My plan now is to start some low dose probiotics and see how that goes, specifically lactobacillus and bifidobacterium which are specifically linked to helping with anxiety and depression. After that, assuming all goes well, I will start to reintroduce foods one at a time. My first choice will be green beans. I'll have a small serving of them with each meal for a few days and see how it goes. If I get no bad reactions I'll continue them. If I get a negative reaction, no more greenbeans in the future. Then I get to do this process over and over with each and every food I ever want to eat again lol

A good diet is one that makes you feel good. Dont listen to anyone telling you what to do, listen to your body and mind.

If your mind tells you to go vegan because of life in animals, then the choice is a no brainer.

If your body tells you to go more vegan, go more vegan and vice versa. Just dont go overboard and listen to your body when you make chances in your diet. Full vegetatian diet is not for everyone, and neither is full carnivorous diet. Its really up to what is balance in you own, unique body.

Sure its easier to print a list from internet and follow it like a sheep than it is to gently adjust your diet for years to achieve balance, but remember that your body is better teacher than Leo Gura or any nutritional scientist. Only you see inside yourself, if you know how to listen.

Edited by Hansu

I have been eating carnivore for 16 months today and have been slowly healing my gut.  I am killing a bacterial overgrowth and restoring levels of stomach acid after draining it due to medicine prescribed my a doc for reflux.  My psoriasis has dissapeared and my head is much clearer without the carbs.  Still waiting on the energy, but fatigue has been my issue for years even before dropping plants.  I have great confidence that I will be feeling better than ever on this WOE once my body fully heals.  The 20,000+ facebook group I am apart of report incredible benefits and health transformations.  Some of the 'veterans' on there have been eating meat only for 10, 15 even 20 years.  Very sustainable in terms of being able to stick with it because all sugar cravings get killed because even a fruit or veggie is a simple sugar at it's core so your taste buds completely change.

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.