Tom Daniel D

There's a problem. I want to do the seemingly impossible.

101 posts in this topic

This is my first post here. After watching Leo on YouTube for a while I feel like this is the right community to get some feedback.

To start off, I am compelled from the depths of my soul to do whatever I can to have as much of a positive impact on humanity as possible and beyond to all sentience that exists. After overcoming the depths of hell in my own life I just can't sit around while I know so many others are experiencing the same hell. Then I realize suffering to a certain degree is required for growth itself. Mentally and physically it builds resilience and character. Suffering is a mechanism of evolution and a pillar to life itself. Adversity is the mother of virtue, of beauty.

We also seem to exist in this reality between a particular balance of order and chaos. There are optimal balances to everything, which includes suffering. So I think humanity should move in a direction of reducing extreme suffering, but not suffering altogether. Basically there is a tipping point of suffering that disturbs the optimal range of balance.

Okay great, it seems like I am on the right path... but wait. I want to do what is good, but good is only defined by our evolutionary context, forged out of the desire for survival. Basically all things that we call good are centrally based on our survival instincts created by evolution itself. All things that we think or feel are bad are just factors related to death. Good and bad seem to rest upon complete subjectivity and have no distinction outside evolution.

Well, there's also the meaning of life. I should just live true to my life purpose, which I define as following my heart while maintaining balance. Not falling too far into a cycle of chasing desire. My heart tells me I can be part of transforming humanity into the best it can be (Just part of the process. I really don't want to sound egoic here. Please correct me if I come off in a negative way). What if humans are actually a bad thing in the Universe in the end? Hell, we are fucking up this planet beyond repair. We are currently a cancer. At this point my heart is only a puppet of evolution itself to serve its purpose.

Decreasing suffering in humanity is going to be a lot of damn work. This will and is requiring tremendous sacrifice. My current conclusion is that I should still follow my heart, do a lot of hard work, make the required sacrifices, but in doing so also have enough of a balance where I am enjoying life through the process. Then accept the fact that what I don't sacrifice and give to myself will just mean I allowed some people to endure extreme suffering.

What does everyone think?

Next up, let's discuss what steps are needed to actualize humanity. I have been thinking about it and pursing it in some fashion for years, but I am reaching a stage where I want to start discussing this with like minded people. In the end nothing will happen until we all come together towards a common pursuit with a common strategy.

Edited by Tom Daniel D

3 hours ago, Tom Daniel D said:

Decreasing suffering in humanity is going to be a lot of damn work.

Buddha failed, Jesus failed, all masters have failed because man has remained the same. Unless somebody is not interested , no master can decrease his suffering. 

Hi Daniel

Good question.  How to reduce suffering.

First and foremost realize that you and everyone else is eternal and infinite.  This helped me a lot with reduced anxiety worrying about everyone else 

as well as myself.  Secondly, consider responding to what life brings you rather than reacting to it.  I like the wingmakers advice to practice the six

heart virtues of appreciation, compassion, forgiveness, humility, understanding, and valor in your daily life situations. And lastly, remember samsara

(suffering) is nirvana, and nirvana is samsara. 

P.S. Don't forget to lighten up- after all this is just all a dream!

Have you looked at this clip:

It seems to relate to what you're saying. 

But then, you got to be careful. When you go out and talk to people, most likely they may not listen, even though they asked you tons of questions, or you expressed a lot of things to them. Following the questions or conversation, they may start criticizing. The two ppl are in very different places in their lives. They can't relate. And, it is up to the person to change himself/herself, not up to the other person.

I said this before. I find the following quotes useful:

doyourthing.jpg

fde6a9b40b36007e88917429f53d9c4a.jpg

A person has to take action in order for another to realize what he/she is about. What better way to do that than to use the life purpose as a vehicle? You can express your spirituality there (along with your mastery) in subtle ways so that those who are ready to hear it will hear it. Then, they will incorporate it into their lives to better the world in their own ways. It works like a ripple effect. 

I also like this clip of Shinzen Young. It's part 3, but he's saying metaphorically that the "hands are outstretched" without you speaking.

If your going to go about solving the worlds problems, here's some shit you have to consider. First of all before anything else, you need to put yourself under the label as 'uneducated/dumb' because if you've watched Leo's video's about self-deception (parts 1-3) you'll realize the sheer amount of ways your deceiving yourself. So many people have tried

35 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Buddha failed, Jesus failed, all masters have failed because man has remained the same. Unless somebody is not interested , no master can decrease his suffering. 

not to mention osho's cult that failed, and there's so much to consider when thinking about successfully pulling this off.

However I totally understand where your coming from, and I actually wanted to do something similar and started coming up with plans a while ago, right now? I've committed to raising awareness + enlightenment and etc. because I don't trust myself and I'm still very uneducated. Plus also the plan I had was sort of immoral, and I'm still considering if it helps at all. 

So a bit about my plan - A couple of years ago, I think I was hiking with some friends, and somehow my mind started thinking about how humanity is going completely downhill (and though that's not the full truth.) I kept thinking about global warming and how basically its getting worse, also the sheer amount of pollution and like everything else with the natural balance of our ecosystem is just being destroyed, and people aren't adapting because they can't react to stuff that far in the future. 

But anyway, I guess I just had a stroke of genius and remembered a quote from one of my favorite movies Kung Fu Panda

"A true warrior uses his enemies strength against them" and the enemy right then was the sheer amount of destruction going on, and I knew that with me and my limitations I couldn't move such a beast. However you don't really need to, and so the plan was, if humanity was going downhill and it was seemingly impossible to do anything about it, then I would make some sort of enclosure, that could prevent the effects of the earth, sort of like if we lived on mars in domes with air and shit. And then remake the world but under supervision... Anyways I don't want to get to in-depth, but I bet you can imagine the sheer amount of problems with that.

If your serious here's what your going to need to do.

- Get enough power (persuasion/economically) )initially to even make it to the point where you can be closed off from the effects of the world

- have some sort of strategy to be a step ahead of our current society, in a bunch of different aspects

- science

- society

- (a ton more but I'm to lazy to think of them)

- strategic and creative as fuck, the majority of your time will probably be spent working on this

- not to mention all the shit that can go wrong, and how you will need to prepare for those

- understand all the necessary system's to work around / with them

- all that you don't currently know, that you will need to know.

Not to mention the immorality of it

- you'd basically be ditching humanity to die in the dust, and using that as your opportunity

- with your limited resources, who can you save?

- (probably more I haven't even thought of yet)

- is it even fair to call this helping? I mean yea, you'd be helping people in the future, but what about the people of now?

And then there's you...

- how will you take the death of humanity?

- the stuff you'll need to develop about yourself to accomplish this

- Definetly a lot more stuff to be said

And that's just an idea I had a while ago, if you want to do the seemingly impossible. You've got to juice that creative lemon like hell, you've got to juice that lemon like it matters more than breathing. But honestly, I'm a hard believer in the impossible, considering the fact that before I knew about enlightenment to now, I've come to realize that it could be possible for all of reality to collapse, for the floor to disappear underneath my feet. And that's seemingly impossible, actually enlightenment and all of this that stands here is way more impossible than what we're saying here. I mean seriously... Sitting and thinking about nothing will show me the secrets of the universe? So even I probably dissuaded you by giving the logistics of it. I honestly bet if you searched deep enough, you could find a way to fix all of this without the sheer amount of work. (also you can steal my plan if you want). 

But seriously, if you do this. Don't fuck around. 

P.S. call me up in 20 years if you still want to do this lol, also sorry for the extremely long post.

3 hours ago, Tom Daniel D said:

What if humans are actually a bad thing in the Universe in the end? Hell, we are fucking up this planet beyond repair. We are currently a cancer. At this point my heart is only a puppet of evolution itself to serve its purpose.

Here we call that ego, and believe it or not, saving humanity is an egoic desire. Don't think that means we label it as 'bad' though. 

Hey Tom!

Although I can’t give direct points to the entire post there are things that come to mind after reading:

a.) A lot of little steps eventually equal a big step in the right direction.

b.) The best way to give a gift is without the other person (or persons in this case) knowing.

Start small.. with your family and/or friends/co-workers. Work your way up to the community. Also remember people value a person who talks/projects less. It is fantastic that you want to help better humanity but you will have way more impact by not forcing your beliefs IMO. 

As far as actualizing everyone.. start by being observant of those around you. Not like a, “I need to get everybody on my side!” way of going about it. Some people will be receptive to living healthy/happy/peacefully/respectfully  and others will be toxic and stay that way. Like Key Elements said, not everybody is on the same page. Create a network of like minded people and project a sense of safety. Anyway lol, don’t stress too hard on the big picture, focus on a lot of little ones first :) 

Yeah, I thought I would find a network of like-minded people here - nice! :x

I know "Let's get shit done" sound like pressure, but it's the small steps that are the key element. #Bethechange you want to see in the world.

Decrease your OWN suffering first.

A famous Sufi mystic, Bayazid, who wrote in his autobiography, “When I was young I thought and I said to God, and in all my prayers this was the base: ‘Give me energy so that I can change the whole world.’ Everybody looked wrong to me. I was a revolutionary and I wanted to change the face of the earth.

“When I became a little more mature I started praying: ‘This seems to be too much. Life is going out of my hands – almost half of my life is gone and I have not changed a single person, and the whole world is too much.’ So I said to God, ‘My family will be enough. Let me change my family.’

“And when I became old,” says Bayazid, “I realised that even the family is too much, and who am I to change them? Then I realised that if I can change myself that will be enough, more than enough. I prayed to God, ‘Now I have come to the right point. At least allow me to do this: I would like to change myself.’

“God replied, ‘Now there is no time left. This you should have asked in the beginning. Then there was a possibility.’”

This is not the story of one man called Bayazid – it is our story.

@Tom Daniel D Do it! Move humanity forward! Change the world! ? 

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

@Tom Daniel D First off, I think it's absolutely beautiful that you want to make a big difference. I have felt the same way. I think in order to change the world in a big, real and tangible way, you're either gonna have to drop everything and join one of those groups that go out and try to help the suffering (like the peace corps or something)

Other than that, you would need a lot of money. We have celebrities and rich folk that think their occasional $10,000 or even $1,000,000 are worth anything to the world when they spend triple that on 5 summer homes and 8 sports cars. If you have a special talent or are able to work up to a very important position in a company, I think you can change the world by living in a NORMAL persons means and giving the rest back. ALL of the rest.

It really makes me sick to see these people on TV in a position to fix so many issues, like hunger alone, but they don't. I don't care how much they donate, if they still have anything in there possession worth more than what is logically necessary, they aren't giving enough. 

If you want to start small though, I would focus on children. No matter what is wrong in the world, they shouldn't be aloud to suffer. I'm sure there are plenty of programs near you for that.

Going to burst some bubbles here.

This whole I need to help others and society is a mind created concept, the only reason you find it important is because you and your beliefs have given it importance. Also there is a lot of brain washing in society and spirituality how "we should help others".

It is futile, its like saying I want to stop animal slaughter, or I want to protect the ants, or the plants or the rocks from harm.

Every path is a valid path, if it exists it's reality, it's creations/God's will.

Just worry about living your life the way you want, expressing your genuine self.

Just imagine your future and where you're going to be in your death bed, now what will make you the most happy about your life what would have been a fullfilling life FOR YOU?

For example if you said:

Travelling the world and seeing all corners and experiencing all culture and seeing as much as possible before you die.

Then you have no business helping others really.

The reason why people like helping others is for selfish reasons, they feel better, more alive, more useful if you want that that then do that but not everyone is going to feel great about helping others, some people will outright hate helping others and can't stand it, that's fine too, no need to be miserable because of "shoulds" not every mind is built to enjoy the same things.

Life is what you make of it, what you design out of it, what you value and what you put importance to.

Nothing has inherited importance, you're born out of nothingness, everyone one you help on this planet, isn't going to exist in your consciousness once you drop the illusion of "this current body".

In a way all your doing is helping people in your dream, better to focus on enjoying your dream to the maximum.

And remember CONSQEUNCES! Don't do negative stuff if you dont accept or want the consquences.

Edited by blazed

Stop wasting your time with humanity. 

Awaken and you will know what to do and how to do it. Until then you really cannot help. 

16 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

I agree that we still have a lot of problems, and we as the human race have a long way to go. However, now we have so many tools right at our fingertips. Jesus and Buddha didn't have that. They only had word-of-mouth. But, I have to give them a lot of credit. They achieved a lot. Buddha went from Rajput to Brahmin in a time where the caste system defined who you are. Now, it's secular with a lot of opportunities.

1 hour ago, Key Elements said:

I agree that we still have a lot of problems, and we as the human race have a long way to go. However, now we have so many tools right at our fingertips. Jesus and Buddha didn't have that. They only had word-of-mouth. But, I have to give them a lot of credit. They achieved a lot. Buddha went from Rajput to Brahmin in a time where the caste system defined who you are. Now, it's secular with a lot of opportunities.

Yeah :) I don't really know anything about Buddha, but I think Jesus definitely was able to make a difference as far as changing the way a lot of the societies back then thought and treated laws. Also, He was able to show us the way to live a truly Christian life through Him and love. :) 

But I can understand if some people are unable to see the good through the bad. I mean we call them pessimists for a reason lol

I know of a group of people in Europe that aim to have the biggest positive impact. They seek like minded people and sound very much like you. I think you should check them out and apply to join them because they've already started what you want to do. Check out Athenewins on twitch or youtube.

4 Simple Words: Whatever Arises, Love That. Best contribution you can make on a energetic level. Again, any more complicated than this, and the ego is getting ahead of your soul.

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

This is a tricky one. How can you ever know how the ripples of your actions will affect humanity? How can you know what to do, to reach such a far-out goal? Some of those who have done most good have just been doing their thing, while some of those who have caused the most suffering have been trying to fight it. Just be what you are in the here now, since this is all there ever is. If you are only right here right now, but keep chasing illusions of past and future, you will be distracted from where you are, and cause unnecessary suffering for the world around you. The distracted mind, while thinking about how to end suffering, will not pay attention to where he walks, how he talks, and will keep fighting the here now to bring it to some possibility he have imagined to be better than that which is. He will use all his energy trying to make the blind see, the deaf hear and the ignorant wise, while overlooking those he might be able to impact on a deep level just by being himself. 

24 minutes ago, WindInTheLeaf said:

This is a tricky one. How can you ever know how the ripples of your actions will affect humanity? How can you know what to do, to reach such a far-out goal?

Imagine if someone saved hitler's life when he was child? He would have been well proud of his deed.

No matter how good your intentions are things can backfire big time.

Albert Einstein wasn't too happy about Japan being Nuked twice, with hundreds dying, maybe the world might have been a better place if Albert Einstein didn't exist at all.

Who knows, humans are so short sighted, easily ruled by their false conclusions.

Spirituality has taught me actually nothing can be known for certain.

Not to discourage anyone from doing their passion, if your passion is noble that's great, just don't act like its more of a valid or real path to others, because its not, that's just more ego. As Alan watts said about the spiritual game "my game is better than your game".

Edited by blazed