Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

1,535 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, Hello from Russia said:

How crucial is to do "tongue" exercises and mudras ? It is the thing that repels me very much

When I first started doing it, with the idea of placing my tongue in the nasal passage it seems kind of revolting. When I started working towards it, I no longer think about it. If you do something often enough you will get used to it.

It will be a benefit for you to be able to do Kechari, if possible. Don't let personal likes and dislikes get in the way of your progress.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:29 AM, Soulbass said:

how to meditate on a chair ?

Lots of people do Kriya meditation in a chair. This video is the best I've seen on the subject.

I just did a 50 minute Kriya session and during Navi Kriya I started laughing uncontrollably for about 10 minutes hysterically. What does this mean? Could it be that in my daily life i have been suppressing laughter and not fully expressing myself?  

10 minutes ago, andyjohnsonman said:

I just did a 50 minute Kriya session and during Navi Kriya I started laughing uncontrollably for about 10 minutes hysterically. What does this mean? Could it be that in my daily life i have been suppressing laughter and not fully expressing myself?  

you could basically have suppressed anything - as laughter is just a spontaneous release for overshooting controversial emotions and thoughts. there is a phenomenon of people bursting out into laughter during funerals, that encloses this phenomenon really good - it doesn’t mean something has to be funny to release with laughter, sometimes situations are so tense or so sad that the body does that. it would be interesting for you to listen inside yourself what it may have been about.

Edited by now is forever

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 100 of Kriya, having just started to incorporate KP3 from J.C Stevens Book in the routine. I've read a lot on this thread about people having some small experiences (laughing uncontrollably, body twitches etc) and maybe some people having bigger realizations. 

I haven't experienced anything yet xD I know, I am only just getting started really, and I'm only on day 100 of 365 (goal is to try it out for a year obviously) but I seem to be having slower progress. I definitely feel a subtle stilling of the mind, but nothing huge. Sometimes people talk about "feeling a surge of energy in the spine" or doing the pranayama up to Bregma as "too powerful", I don't get any of that, and only very occasionally feel a slight "adrenaline" type feeling around my lower back (Svadistana posterior area, but not exactly 'on the chakra'). I also don't see myself making 'more conscious choices', for example, I still have poor impulse control when I see a vending machine and usually fall into the temptation of grabbing a chocolate bar. 

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? I wouldn't say I'm noticing no benefits or effects whatsoever, but I feel like my progress is slower compared to you guys, however obviously this isn't deterring me at all, and I'm enjoying Kriya as a method so far, but no direct experience yet to suggest "this is powerful" sort of thing. I can't do Kechari Mudra yet, perhaps that's something? I'll be going over an revising the techniques that Stevens outlines but I'm sure I'm following them all very accurately. 

Any thoughts are really appreciated. 

Thanks,

Rowan 

@Soulbass I sit in a chair like that except my lower legs are vertical from feet to knees in meditation and kriya. Works for me.

@-Rowan Are you doing any other techniques? Maybe if not you could benefit from something like self inquiry, to synergize with kriya 

I'm a month or two further in than you, and I've just started to get some cool experiences, so maybe it'll just take more time. Now that I think of it I've started to get cool experiences only after Kp3 and doing the Kriya Bow from gamana's book, have you tried that?

@Cocolove Thanks for the reply. No, before I started Kriya I was doing 1-hour watch the breath meditation. So now I just do my Kriya session which is one hour or thereabouts. Yeah, I've read people recommending a few techniques from the Gamana book, which I haven't yet checked out. I'll probably just need to keep going with it and I'll look into getting the book and implementing the techniques he says. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, -Rowan said:

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? I wouldn't say I'm noticing no benefits or effects whatsoever, but I feel like my progress is slower compared to you guys

This is one of the reasons why traditionally, Kriyabans are advised not to compare experiences or report them to anyone but their instructor. Not saying you broke some big rule. But everyone's path and progress can be different. I suggest trusting that when your higher self wants you to have certain results, you'll have them.

It's also a reason why personal instruction is best.

I'm not a kriyaguru, this is just my opinion. Three months is not very long and one should be devoted to the basic practices and not rush to advanced versions. Although I just said that different practitioners' experiences can be different, there are at least two common experiences that one could use as guideposts.

One is paravastha which could be sensed as a deep blissful state within the brain, especially the medulla. Maybe you get this in small doses or a big dose if you are fortunate. This comes from regular old Kriya Pranayama. It is believed to be from reversing the flow of prana so that it goes up the spine into the brain.

The other is viewing the kutastha which is the symbol seen in the logo of several of the Kriya groups. Lahiri placed considerable emphasis on it. It is a perfect five-pointed white star on a field of blue or black. It may be surrounded by a gold ring (which may be seen by itself). Stevens accurately describes it.

I don't know of anything ordinary in the human brain that would generate this astonishing sight. I tend to believe that it is a sort of welcome sign to the greater worlds. I have heard it described as the symbol of a being who generates the energy that sustains life. So there are various myths and stories. In my opinion this is best evoked by simple concentration practice.

Edited by kerk

i thought this video was interesting. You guys may also like it 

Two questions 

- I'm sitting half lotus with one pillow. My legs fall asleep after 5-10 minutes. Should I  expect to be sitting long periods in this position?

- on lesson 4 I'm doing the concentration exercise for five minutes. I close my eyes, focus from the back of my head and look forward between my eyebrows my eyes twitch a ton when I do this and my head feels murky and full of toxic waste. No light or sounds... is this normal?

Edited by Widdle Puppy

@Widdle Puppy After 10 minutes readjusts how you are sitting. Over time you will be able to sit for longer periods of times

I'd skip the concentration practices and do witness consciousness at the end of all the kriyas. This is spoken about in the other book

@herghly Could you please point a little bit more where I can learn of  "witness consciousness" in kriya yoga?
im currently reading stevens book and not a big fan of the concentration lesson so if there is an alternative Id like to try it!

technique A ..

technique B ..

technique C ..

start rising your own. No teacher, no teaching.

Only the one that work for yourself.

NoBrainStorming x:/x: limit

@luckieluuke Santata talks about the Parvastha state, what Lahiri Mahasaya called the "After-Effect-Poise" of Kriya. Santata calls it the secret cause no other Kriya yogi talks about that.

It's essentially a resting in being. He says you will be thrown into this state automatically after the Kriya practice. For me, this was true from day 1.
Also, he recommends combining it with self-inquiry, especially if thoughts and identification creep back in.

Personally I do a 60 minute "being in awareness"/"Self Inquiry" session after my Kriya session. My inquiry has never been this deep, I highly recommend this combination :) 

This is my first week of Kriya and my current practise is Nadi Shodhana, Ujjayi Pranayama and 20 minutes of concentration (just like the book suggested).

Thing is, at the moment I'm having a hard time focusing/looking at the 3rd eye but I can definitely feel some tingling on that area. Does that mean I'm doing the concentration properly?

Nothing can make you happy until Nothing can make you happy.

6 hours ago, nistake said:

Thing is, at the moment I'm having a hard time focusing/looking at the 3rd eye but I can definitely feel some tingling on that area. Does that mean I'm doing the concentration properly?

Relaxation, release tension, use your mental gaze. Return to that location when you drift off. Over time you will get the rewards. And it's a necessary preparation for Kriya Pranayama. Matthew 6:22.

Ok I´ve started doing the Maha mudra and it really feels...wrong.

1. Bigger thing, when I "stretch" and reached for my feet I should simultaneously flex my anus and pelvis muscles? and During that I should focus on the ajna point? AND during that Chant some word? All 4 things at the same time! 
For me yoga and stretching a body limb is to really feel the stretching, be calm, here and now and feel each muscle and fiber of my body. This gives me great body awareness, calmness and connection to oneness. But instead of doing that I should chant some old indian word and do all these other things, effectively ignoring the main thing going on: my "stretching" That´s like practicing ignoring what is obviously happening and focus on other things. Like if someone is talking to you you should focus on everything else than the person talking to you. I feel I just get disconnected and further away from here and now doing that. My inner Guru says this is not the way to be mindful. 

2. Minor thing, do I really need to go back to sitting on both my heels between each stretch? feels like Im moving around my legs and repositioning alot and it really gets me out of the meditative state.

4 hours ago, luckieluuke said:

1. Bigger thing, when I "stretch" and reached for my feet I should simultaneously flex my anus and pelvis muscles? and During that I should focus on the ajna point? AND during that Chant some word? All 4 things at the same time!

Best instructions for Mahamudra in my opinion. It's just a Kriya breath during the stretch. And in KY chanting is usually mental only. There might be some difference between the version in this video and the version in other lineages, but this version is fairly simple.

If by old Indian word you mean "Om" or "Aum", it is an approximation of one of the sounds you can hear in meditation in deep states. It is used quite a bit in Kriya but if you don't like it, perhaps some other practice would be better for you.

Edited by kerk

On 2/27/2019 at 1:25 AM, luckieluuke said:

For me yoga and stretching a body limb is to really feel the stretching, be calm, here and now and feel each muscle and fiber of my body. This gives me great body awareness, calmness and connection to oneness. But instead of doing that I should chant some old indian word and do all these other things, effectively ignoring the main thing going on: my "stretching" That´s like practicing ignoring what is obviously happening and focus on other things. Like if someone is talking to you you should focus on everything else than the person talking to you. I feel I just get disconnected and further away from here and now doing that. My inner Guru says this is not the way to be mindful. 

2. Minor thing, do I really need to go back to sitting on both my heels between each stretch? feels like Im moving around my legs and repositioning alot and it really gets me out of the meditative state.

It will become second nature after awhile. Practice going through the procedure multiple times in your head. At first it does seem sort of overwhelming but it will become second nature.

I have some financial downside right now, not working, and the book from J.C. Stevens is a little bit expensive in my country.

Are there good youtube videos about it or other suggestions for books?

Thanks for any advice