Solvinden

Replacing bread

23 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I eat for dinner most of the time bread and I find it really difficult to find an alternative. (I can't eat nuts/vegetables/fruits/oat flakes all day and I don't want to cook twice a day.)

In addition, I'm worried about my calory-intake because of I'm too slim. So healthy snacks with lots of calories is also something I'm looking for (and I don't think eating tons of nuts is good either).

Love,

Solvinden

@Solvinden I've seen people eating things with lettuce instead of bread I think it could be nice I haven't tried it myself though.

- Rye bread

- Small spelt bread (not the same as regular spelt!)

Or : rice, it's quick & easy with a rice cooker

Edited by Soulbass

@Solvinden You can cook stuff and keep it in the fridge for up to a week, depending on the recipe.

Get creative and be more open to changing your habits rather than saying, "I don't want to cook twice a day." I often cook twice a day. It ain't so hard.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

What about seed crackers? (got no idea)

One’s center is not one’s center, it is the center of the whole. 

And the ego-center is one’s center.

That is the only difference, but that is a vast difference.- 

What about bread made from rice flour? Does it depend on the rice? Also none gmo vegan chips with simple ingredients?

I agree that it's not as hard as it sounds but with out a real purpose in mind it will feel like work. I myself was basically projected into veganism, eliminating added sugar, dairy, gmos, ect because of a auto immune issue about 7-8 months ago. I however had planned to go organic for about in year beforehand but for different reasons. People say to me "wow your disciplined", but that's not the whole truth at all. It's eat healthy or suffer somehow. Now I feel better than I've ever felt. It's been transition after transition. First taking out the easy stuff like candy, processed meat, non essential medicines and most gmos. Then taking out wild game and fish, then eggs and all cheese with any associating with dairy, and now wheat. I eat great. I eat mouth watering food and love cooking because i appreciate my food so much more now. 

Thankfully vegan/organic is a big business now and we have lots of options. I'd of course eat meat in a survival situation but unless that happens I'm good for now. Last meat I at was wild boar back in October on  a date. I can make a vegan dish that beats the pants off that boar 4 months  later. Learning new recipes is really fun. I was eating rice and vegetables/fruit for the first month but things get better. Lots of vegan app's, you tube channels and meetups out there to help out. It really does get easy. I rarely get cravings for garbage food and when i do I can sate my appetite with something healthy. I also lost a lot of weight and am somewhat shredded now. 

Edited by Northern Prince

The key is to avoid processed foods as much as possible. All those crackers, chips, bread sustitutes are basically junk.

Just because the box says "vegan" or "gluten free" doesn't make it healthy. People eat all sorts of vegan, gluten-free junk in the same way that people eat "protein bars" thinking they are health food, when they are basically candy bars remarketed as "health food".

If a product is trying to be a substitute for something junky, I basically also consider it junk.

For example:

Vegan mayonaise or gluten-free bread or dairy-free cream cheese.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I dont really know about breads but for replacing pasta, you can find red lentil pasta, chickpea pasta, Shirataki Noodles. There is a plant based substitute for almost everything, either you can carefully scan the ingredients label, or start becoming a scientist at home with wholesome non wheat products. Infinite Foods.

Try replacing bread with rice, couscous, quinoa... . Brown, red and black rice are better than white. But if you prefer white, get basmati. Also, you can make pita at home super easy and fast. Use brown rice flour if possible. It needs no yeast. Just flour, salt, olive oil and water. You can add any other spices you like as well ( turmeric, cinamon, garlic powder...) sweet potatos are also good. Hummus, lentils,beans. All of these have lots of calories. I'm very skinny as well. I have been eating gluten free, dairy free and meat free diet for a year, and I haven't lost muscle mass. My tummy is flat, and I have lots of energy. So don't worry. You will be fine. I take Flaxseed oil supplements as well. As Leo said, ease into it. It's a slow process. You will get better at it.

4 hours ago, Samra said:

rice, couscous, quinoa

Do you know any good recipes for these? :D

@Psyche_92w maybe i make a separate thread for that. However, there are tons of recipes online. I cook my rice Persian style. That means that it boils for 15 min, then drain water out, add oil and water at the bottom, add rice on top, and let slow cook dry for another 30 min. That way the excessive starch comes out. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/persian-rice-with-golden-crust-100915/amp

On 2/19/2018 at 1:10 AM, Leo Gura said:

All those crackers, chips, bread substitutes are basically junk.

I certainly disagree with such a blanket statement. There is a plethora of  simple ingredient vegetable and fruit "chips" out there if you know where to look or simply make them your self. I think a statement like the one above should be taken with a grain of salt. (no pun intended) It's just not intellectually honest. Also it's not impossible to make a simple bread that doesn't involve putting crap in it. Of course just because "vegan or gluten" free is on the label doesn't make it healthy (I suppose I should have made that clear, I figured that much was obvious by the full nature of my post, my bad). But if one just simply looks at the ingredients and all the ingredients make sense and it is also vegan or gluten free. It's probably not bad for you. There are dairy free ,egg free, wheat(and gluten) free, nonsense free breads out there.  I'm just saying that where there is a will there is a way and to not give up on finding healthy alternatives. Or even creating healthy alternatives your self. (which should be a goal!) That is one of the funnest parts of a healthy eating life style. As I mentioned above. I do not think candy food or products with dairy or eggs are healthy. So that excludes at-least 90% of the junk out there. Some of you may give up on finding healthy substitutes, but I challenge you not to.

Just my 15 cents on the subject.

Edited by Northern Prince
miss spelling

I'm also trying to increase my calory-intake (recently changed to job where I move a lot more). So far I'm adding more olive oil to meals and take bigger potions.

Instead of buying glutenfree/weat free bread I make my own (durra, teff, rice) so at least I know what inside. Cost more due.

Buckwheat, Quinoa, Millet, Amaranth, Wild Rice, Tapioca, Sprouted breads ect.. all are very healthy, mostly alkaline and naturally gluten-free and all can be found in flours or breads. Sprouted/Fermented is always best but anything is better than wheat/gluten.

Vegetables are always better than grains but it is better to transition slowly than rapidly.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Solvinden Had this problem for a long time as well. 

I now cook my own meals twice a day and replace my lunch meal with something like: Rice, Kidney beans, Almonds, Spinach, Chia seeds, Salsa

You just have to get creative with creating your own meals and see why this is important for you. Watching SimnetNutrition, a vegan youtuber, really helped me transition into full vegan while still being able to do muscle building, freerunning, jogging. Even more amazing is that now that I am vegan, it feels like I can even do those activities more easily because now without gluten, meat, etc my body doesn't feel so heavy and groggy. Moving my body feels more effortless than ever.

I do like to eat Buckwheat bread with some honey on top of it from time to time. But luckily buckwheat is gluten-free so it doesn't effect energy levels very much.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Leo Gura How can you ask me to stop drinking soda? It’s my bread and butter.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I replaced it with big portions of different vegetables. It's a bid hard at first, depending on how dependent you are on bread, pasta, rice etc, but it gets easier and feels a lot healthier soon enough. The key is to take it slow and just reduce the exception times to the number you want per week.

Also, be creative, maybe add something you like; nuts, cheese, some oils, etc are so tasty. I have lost weight and nowadays I feel kinda heavy when I eat foods with bread, rice or pasta. If you don't wanna cook many times, cook the meat part once a week and just warm up/cook veggies in the oven or microwave before you eat. I didn't cook the veggies for a while and I got digestion problems a bit.  

CA738F44-4E2C-4705-B50D-0D8887DD2789.jpeg

A29CC6E6-D379-495C-A665-C3FB018F008E.jpeg

I would loosely estimate that for the average person, 99% of awakening, is food. The hardest part, is admitting your’re asleep. Fuck bread, fuck sugar, fuck preservatives - choose your life instead. Make how you feel first. Make how something tastes a distant second. “You’ll” never regret it, because freedom. 

Just put yourself aside for a few days. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE