Tudo

How to deal with getting old?

38 posts in this topic

A benefit of getting older is it teaches you to slooow down. When you’re young and ambitious it’s impossible to slow down and take a breather. You’re too proud and endlessly chasing after an abundance of pleasure. 

Getting old humbles you. The life you once knew fades away even faster. Are you ready to accept the next major stage of your life?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Just by suffering through it.

That's life.

With this mindset i will die soon, a few years at the latest after an effective realization of this 

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura does getting old have to be so bad? What are your thoughts on your own age?

Edited by Francis777

4 hours ago, Sabth said:

It's the oldest that we've ever been!! ~~

A 10yr old is the oldest it's ever been; so is a vibrant 70yr old. Bad choice of words.

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

In 20 years you will look back and laugh at how young you are today.

Getting old is gonna get so much worse. A horror show. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Keeping up that positive spirit!

:P 

Edited by UnbornTao

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

In 20 years you will look back and laugh at how young you are today.

Getting old is gonna get so much worse. A horror show. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Don't let this blackpiller get to you, just because he is going through horrible health issues which he's projecting on you. It'll probably not be easy but not a horror show for everyone.

47 minutes ago, Bandman said:

Don't let this blackpiller get to you, just because he is going through horrible health issues which he's projecting on you. It'll probably not be easy but not a horror show for everyone.

@Bandman

I dont think that's the point, of course getting old can be more hard for some people. But at the end everyone will have their own horrible problems (not just health)

But we arent what we experience in this life, its just a small small part of the whole. For me the point is how to manage this fact

Posted (edited)

The same way I'd deal with any other suffering; becoming more conscious.

Also, I'd use it as motivation to go do the things I want so I'll have less regrets about the past in the future.

Edited by Inception

"The magic you're looking for is in the work you're avoiding"

9 minutes ago, Inception said:

The same way I'd deal with any other suffering; becoming more conscious.

Also, I'd use it as motivation to go do the things I want so I'll have less regrets about the past in the future.

There are also times when you don’t get what you want, yet it leads to beautiful discoveries anyway. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

There are also times when you don’t get what you want, yet it leads to beautiful discoveries anyway. 

True, ultimately it's all Perfect...

"The magic you're looking for is in the work you're avoiding"

At that age i had a quarter of life crisis. Had to go through it to mature and be an adult, schools over and the parties likewise. Had to feel the regrets of things that i did not accomplish, accept it and move on to adulthood.

Posted (edited)

On 3/26/2024 at 3:59 AM, Tudo said:

I just reached 28 years old and I feel old, like I wasted almost my entire life till now, feeling like too old to even approach 20-year-old girls, how to deal with this pain?

I will reach 28 years and I feel like I am yet to mold my life into something. I do not worry about being old, I just need to figure out how to live cheaply and most healthy. Then I feel that I have some juice to create what I want. Yet I can't wait when I will die. There will be no more of this. No point to take another birth (for me at least). Only thing is left to enjoy whatever nonsense here is. What will you do when there is no body and no identity to have, of course that feels way different than having a life experience, if you ever have sat relaxing from your identities you will find out that you are bliss itself. 

Edited by Applegarden8

Posted (edited)

About to hit 30 and couldn't be any cooler with it :D Life has just begun.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

Edited by ivankiss

Getting Old forces You Inward, You lose physical ability, You lose cognitive ability somewhat, You lose ppl in Your life, family friends either move away or die, so you lose all that you are attached too, with that nature is saying "Go within" find what is Real and what is not Real, but of course our society and the ppl in it do not see it that way, their super entangled with everything they are Not so loss is felt very deeply which leads to suffering for most ppl, I saw my Mother suffering mental and emotional pain for years before her death, regrets, sadness, loss, it was all there, but if you were to look at her life she had a great life, did lots of things, raised a healthy family for the most part, good married life, travelled, and very social... So its all a matter of perspectives, when   Young its about striving and accumulation of ppl, places and things, ego is strongest, then we get wiser and let things go to find Truth!

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Don't try to deal with "getting old".
Try to deal with the problems occurring one by one.

Also, most important, try to not have to deal with regrets later one. Do things you wanna do now, cause it might get harder and harder to do them later on.

It's helpful not to be too identified with your age and to be focused on your growth.

Also, 28 isn't even close to being old. You might think that it's old because Western society is obsessed with youth, and according to this mindset, being 25 is too old, like some grandfather in a wheelchair. But in fact, you are still very young.

In fact, the ages 27-40 could be the best time of your life because on one hand, you are still young-looking and healthy, and on the other hand, you have some life experience, unlike in your early 20s when most people feel stuck and confused because they don't have enough life experience.

You can make wiser decisions based on your experience, and you have a better understanding of what's valuable and important in life, which helps you prioritize what is really important and avoid wasting your time.

If you take care of your physical health, mental health, and detach your inherent value from your age, you are going to have an easier aging process compared to other people.

Don't turn it into a tragedy.

Use your mortality as motivation to enrich your life, live in the present moment, pursue your passions more passionately and intentionally, and focus on what's truly important to you in life.

Let Love In

Time does seem to speed up as you get older, not the tasks you hate of course :D.

You deal with it by planning and small goals towards big plans.
Being grateful for being alive and what you have.
Getting outside and appreciating your life.

Realising a few friends in a room enjoying life together is worth more than anything else in the world, except maybe the partner you share it with if you are lucky enough to have him/her with you.

All the best.

You just got to take the L and accept it. And make the best of life. YEa some 20 year olds will look at you and think you are old but some won't mind.