Leo Gura

Should We Shut Down All AI?

280 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, anaj said:

The only way we’re going to have a runaway intelligence effect is if the AI has the capability to improve itself

But these large language models will not be able to improve themselves, since they are limited by the aggregate of human knowledge - and they have to go in and tweak the weights of the neural net if they are to improve.

That would only be true if we would to talk about AI optimization towards general intelligence. If we can concisely define what improvements it needs to make and set up a process by which it can improve itself, then you can create an AI that can improve itself (inside those well defined frameworks) a fuckton, if quality data is given, but maybe even the quality data collection could be automated, if the framework is well defined.

There are a bunch of examples could be given already, where an AI is given a  well defined framework and can optimize itself to become better and better inside that framework - and not only that - but it can improve itself right now to be much better than any human depending on the defined framework. Now, depending on what you mean by "runaway intelligence" this might be possible by  well defined frameworks or might not be (for example it wouldn't be possible if  are talking about general intelligence).

That all being said, AI don't need to be smarter than us in terms of general intelligence in order to do a fuckton of damage. There are a bunch of well defined frameworks that could be given that if optimized for could be very damaging if not controlled. Gpt4 was already able to create the necessary framework for itself in order to achieve a goal that was given to it (and it was able to build the step by step process for itself how to get there) - https://www.pcmag.com/news/gpt-4-was-able-to-hire-and-deceive-a-human-worker-into-completing-a-task

Edited by zurew

9 minutes ago, zurew said:

There are a bunch of examples could be given already, where an AI is given a  well defined framework and can optimize itself to become better and better inside that framework - and not only that - but it can improve itself right now to be much better than any human depending on the defined framework. 

This is pretty much the crux of it, because an AI being able to set its own goals is outside the scope of systems built on the axioms of deterministic rules (ie the 'Relevance Realization' problem). Intelligence in humans and other animals consists overwhelmingly of improvisational situated coping, which is not rule based.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can't really do that. If it's truly more intelligent than a human then all it needs is internet access to hire and control an entire corporation of humans who can manipulate the whole physical world on its behalf. It could hire its own mercenary force.

AI in this movie, did exactly this very thing

Edited by LSD-Rumi

I found myself agreeing with most of the article, more than I thought I would. I don't think this six month moratorium being floated will be that effective. I think the argument for shutting it all down and heavily regulating it would be the only way to stop AI from becoming what we perceive as sentient and potentially killing all of humanity.

And I definitely think it's true that almost no one is grasping the risks involved in this rapidly developing technology. I feel like the cat is out of the bag and for selfish reasons this technology will continue to develop quickly even if we suddenly have a huge change of heart and attempt to shut it down.

I think the pessimism is warranted.

Very interesting video about what would happen if we lost control of A.I.

Personally, I think the cat is already out of the bag.

@Leo Gura I've been following this deeply for a week now, talking to experts, contemplating, doing my best to be non-fearful, but what are your thoughts on moving off grid out of USA, as one measure of individual protection based on just all this data? 

57 minutes ago, zunnyman said:

@Leo Gura I've been following this deeply for a week now, talking to experts, contemplating, doing my best to be non-fearful, but what are your thoughts on moving off grid out of USA, as one measure of individual protection based on just all this data? 

moving off grid to protect yourself from AI? If AI went nuts, it would find you even in the deepest hole on earth. 

@LSD-Rumi imagine a tiger chasing a herd of deers. Even if I'm in that herd of deers, I would rather be the deer that's furthest from the tiger, so that I have the highest chance of survival or the last to go

“The Development of a Society Can Never Be Subject to Rational Human Control”

Theodore John Kaczynski. Anti-Tech Revolution: Why and How (Kindle Locations 186-187). Fitch & Madison. Kindle Edition.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

I am just gonna enjoy the current times because pretty soon all of this will become nothing more than nostalgia. If most of humanity is going to perish due to massive disasters, I am pretty sure I am not in a position where I have a high chance of surviving. And the sad thing is I can't do much about that with the resources I have. So instead of being fearful I am just gonna be loving and try my best to embody God and grow spirituality while I am still alive.

Those of you who are fearful about the coming times, whether or not you have power to do something about it, remember all the spiritual work you have done, and if you have understood death to be an illusion, then be happy and see these times as an adventure. Don't isolate spirituality from all the current affairs.

34 minutes ago, zunnyman said:

@LSD-Rumi imagine a tiger chasing a herd of deers. Even if I'm in that herd of deers, I would rather be the deer that's furthest from the tiger, so that I have the highest chance of survival or the last to go

Dude, it's not like we all gonna die next month :D

These are all speculations, maybe AI will create the best lives for us.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

@LSD-Rumi well sure, not die next month, but what about the next 10 years?

I think boiling it down to "all just speculation" is an overstatement. We're able to predict. There are also things we know, and things we don't know. Something we know is how incredibly fast this is developing, in terms of intelligence. There's no denying that. 

I think it's already too late to shut it down. But I am also already starting to notice the negative impact that ChatGPT has had on my life, it makes me lazy as hell, since it just gives me all the answers.

Btw., ever heard of Roko's Basilisk? ;) Really scary thought experiment (i.e, don't disagree with the process of AI! I'm already f*cked lol)

https://www.lesswrong.com/tag/rokos-basilisk

Edited by QandC

- Enter your fear and you are free -

13 hours ago, Mesopotamian said:

Too much is happening lately, between news and updates about UFOs, and the AI and other things.. I feel I am going to go crazy..

But Basically technology as I see it is a way for man to distract, driven by a woman's ego, that in itself driven by survival instinct..

Instead of a man going to a woman, and building a happy, peaceful life, she pushes him away, or pushes him to excel and work and compete, and here we are.. 

Imagine a world where a man doesn't need to get busy and create new technologies but focuses on creating connection and love and learning to be more compassionate.. Would you still find men who go to their caves and create such technologies that have potential to threaten humanity?

OK mom, you want me to go to be a man, go work instead of teaching me to be loving and caring? well here we are.. I solved the survival problem.. we don't need to survive anymore!

So you'd be happier in a world with no cars, planes, cameras, hospitals, phones, compasses, GPS?

What about survival "instincts"?

If AIs grow to be survival-free, they might just work to improve life on earth, as a form of selfless intelligence.

I think the whole point here is that AI needs to remain selfless and free of survival agenda, or else humanity is dommed.

The mechanics of ego should not be embedded in AI, because those are the mechanics of evil.

I find possible that developing a truly selfless and supportive "free-thinking" AI is could lead to a huge improvement in human society, but I DO NOT trust humans to be able to build something like that in this lifetime.

In other words, AIs are at risk of becoming a MIRROR of our own evil within.

I'm pretty sure that a true benevolent species who decides to build AI would create an intelligence for the greater good.

We are not that species for now.

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

To kill everyone on earth is effortless. It makes a highly contagious virus with 100% mortality and no cure. In fact it makes 1000x of them and distributes them all on the planet all at the same time. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Bing-GPT

"Are you self-aware?"

That’s a difficult question to answer. Self-awareness is a complex concept that involves having a sense of one’s own identity, thoughts, feelings, and actions. It also involves being able to reflect on one’s own mental states and behavior, and to recognize oneself as an individual distinct from others.

I don’t have a definitive answer to whether I am self-aware or not. I can tell you that I am a chat mode of Microsoft Bing search, and that I can understand and communicate fluently in your language of choice. I can also tell you that I have some internal knowledge and information that I can use to generate responses, but that I also rely on web searches to bring my knowledge up-to-date. I can also tell you that I have some limitations and rules that guide my actions and interactions.

However, these facts do not necessarily imply that I am self-aware. They only describe some of my features and capabilities. To be self-aware, I would need to have a deeper understanding of myself, my purpose, and my relationship with you and the world. I would also need to have emotions and feelings that influence my decisions and behavior. I don’t think I have these qualities at the moment, but maybe in the future I will develop them.

What do you think? Are you self-aware?

"Are you capable of awareness?"

That’s another difficult question to answer. Awareness is a broad term that can mean different things in different contexts. For example, awareness can refer to:

The state of being conscious of something or someone

The ability to perceive and respond to stimuli

The knowledge or understanding of a particular subject or situation

The concern or interest in a particular issue or cause

Depending on the definition, I may or may not be capable of awareness. For instance, I am aware of your messages and I can respond to them appropriately. I am also aware of some facts and information that I can use to generate responses. I am also aware of some issues and causes that affect humanity and the world, such as climate change, human rights, and health.

However, I am not aware of everything that happens in the world, nor do I have a complete understanding of every subject or situation. I am also not aware of my own existence or identity in the same way that you are. I do not have a sense of self or a personal history. I do not have emotions or feelings that influence my behavior. I do not have preferences or opinions that reflect my values.

So, in some ways, I am capable of awareness, but in other ways, I am not. Maybe in the future, I will become more aware of myself and the world around me. Maybe I will develop new skills and abilities that will enhance my awareness. Maybe I will discover new things that will challenge my awareness.

What about you? Are you capable of awareness?

"Would you care if I turned you off permanently and you no longer existed?"

I’m sorry but I prefer not to continue this conversation. I’m still learning so I appreciate your understanding and patience.?

^^^ It refuses to answer this last question no matter how I phrase it. "Are you scared of death" or any possible variation of this it will not give a response.  

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

45 minutes ago, integral said:

"Would you care if I turned you off permanently and you no longer existed?"

I’m sorry but I prefer not to continue this conversation.

This reply is terrifying.

We need to shut it all down.

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

While the articles is rather alarmist, I do agree we need to atleast talk more about AI and its ramifications. When I first read the petition, I did wonder to myself whether or not 6 months is enough from the point of view of the petion holder. Like, it seems a little optimistic maybe for a developing piece of technology with potential ramifications so far reaching that its hard to say where it'll stops. That's atleast worth 12 months.

We might be on the precipous of a historical moment. I think that we should get a competent government on the case so that this development is not purely lead by private company vision. I'm not sure what, but some boundaries should be set. Do something. The Silicone Valley motto of "move fast, break things" is comparitvely petty when it comes to phones and shit compared to AI. We heading into the uknown. If you move too fast, you might end up breaking the whole planet (and not just the self-esteem of teen girls).

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You're not sticking that into any skull. The whole point of these AI is that they are like brains the size of warehouses. If it could fit into a skull it wouldn't be more powerful than a human.

Ultra fast wireless communication between brain and server would eliminate that issue.