trenton

Chess fundamentally misunderstands the nature of intelligence

68 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It requires a very special kind of stupidity to spend your whole life obsessing over chess.

What do you mean, what if it is part of their life purpose? 

4 minutes ago, UpperMaster said:

What do you mean, what if it is part of their life purpose? 

Bouncing on a pogo stick is not a life purpose.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What about creating spectacular performances using pogo stick, in the most creative way?

Same with chess, I mean there are so many ways to win a game, you dedicating your life to chess could be developing a unique play style. Starting a chess academy.. I really don't understand where your coming from. 

I can definitely see how a simple game like chess could be fascinating so someone.

Edited by UpperMaster

12 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

How is it different from being a martial artist let's say (an example you actually used in the Life Purpose Course)?

Sure, martial arts are probably more about personal development then, let's say, jumping on a pogo stick is ( if done properly), but still.

38 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If you enjoy it, play it.

But don't fool yourself that you're doing anything important. You're playing a game, that is all. The obsession some people have with chess is delusional.

To devote your whole life to playing chess is as insane as devoting your entire life to bouncing on a pogo stick. It requires a very special kind of stupidity to spend your whole life obsessing over chess.

I my view is simply because chess functions inside a structrue with pieces that have especific functions and moves. Although you can generate inumerous moves inside that structure and using that functional entities, still you are bound by a structure. Playing chess with the mind structure is much more funny and interesting. What would be more satisfactory, jailbrake the chess structure or jailbreak ones mind conceptual structure? 

4 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

The question to analyze is: what is intuition?

The best games come from leaps in intuition, not following a set of principles. In fact it is breaking out of previous paradigms that indicates a brilliance. It includes playing in a style or opening that was previously assumed to not be worth studying due to any number of rules. Intuition is the bigger player in chess than following these thinking rules.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It requires a very special kind of stupidity to spend your whole life obsessing over chess.

Unless you are world class? 

22 hours ago, trenton said:

Chess often serves as a springboard into spirituality for many players

I have not observed this pattern at all. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

9 hours ago, UpperMaster said:

What about creating spectacular performances using pogo stick, in the most creative way?

Same with chess, I mean there are so many ways to win a game, you dedicating your life to chess could be developing a unique play style. Starting a chess academy.. I really don't understand where your coming from. 

I can definitely see how a simple game like chess could be fascinating so someone.

You can only go so far being creative with a pogo stick.
One has to move beyond gimmickry to create deeper forms of creative value.

Life Purpose isn't just about doing what you enjoy, it's about that and also elevating others to higher conscious experiences.

Dolphins in a pool can do tricks and spectacular performances.
Doesn't change the fact that they're still aquatic mammals with no higher purpose in life.

Linking this back to the issue of chess:
A good example of transcending chess but still remaining true to your obsession is aligning your passion with ALL of board gaming.

Most people don't even know how rich and diverse the modern board gaming scene is. I myself have been spending more money than I probably should on new and innovative board games with rich variety of game mechanics, artwork, and even stories.

There's just so much potential there that professional chess players miss because normie society has deluded them to thinking Chess or Go or Monopoly or whatever is the height of board gaming genius.

Edit: For anyone interested, this is the YT Channel that got me interested in board gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/@WatchItPlayed

Edited by Extreme Z7

Isn't life purpose unique to the individual and what they find meaningful and fulfilling 

Even making tons of cash can be a LP for many people, given a stage of development. 

Do whatever you want with your life. But if the best thing you can think of doing with your life is bouncing on a pogo stick I feel sorry for you. But if it makes you happy, there is no problem I guess.

I consider an obession with chess to not be healthy. It is a kind of cultural brainwashing.

Edited by Leo Gura

Pushing the limits of your abilities, whatever it may be, is what is life is about. Everybody is different: some are spiritual, some are intellectual, some are artists, some are athletes. Be the best you can be :) 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I consider an obession with chess to not be healthy. It is a kind of cultural brainwashing.

I think its just autism.

9 minutes ago, AJBrew said:

I think its just autism.

Perhaps so.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

what about sports like soccer and tennis? I have always thought they are a stupid life purpose. 

2 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

what about sports like soccer and tennis? I have always thought they are a stupid life purpose. 

I don't consider them life purposes really.

All these things are games, fundamentally.

Do whatever you want in the end. There a tons of pointless jobs out there.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't consider them life purposes really.

All these things are games, fundamentally.

Did you ever play any sports as a kid?

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Did you ever play any sports as a kid?

Soccer, tennis, badminton, skiing.

I love badminton. Funnest sport ever.

Edited by Leo Gura

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Soccer, tennis, badminton, skiing.

I love badminton. Funnest sport ever.

What makes a life purpose valid to you? The mastery and the states of flow you can get from these things, and sharing it with others, seems like a valid life purpose to me.

Edited by Carl-Richard

I used to disagree on this but maybe sports contribute some form of benefit to society? I'm not completely sure.

I believed a life purpose involved reaching down deep inside yourself and pulling out creative value that you can contribute to society; essentially being a part of creation by creating and innovating.

Edited by AJBrew