Jannes

A bit of junk is good for you change my mind

55 posts in this topic

Health is mostly a distraction focus on mental health first, it's wayy more related to your life, mind, thoughts, environment, psychology, guilt, lying and bad energy ect.. 

You are right though ... The compromising of ones authenticity & values to fit with others is what's truly unhealthy, that alone is poisonous and very dark. 

Any health work is fucking pointless if you don't work on those above which I'm still working on. 

I've tried being a perfect health nut without working on the mental/social/spiritual side and I still felt like I was in total hell. 

Mental health environment and social life , always comes first and is 80% of health. 

Who cares if you die at 70 if you had a healthy mind and happy life. 

I'm not saying I plan to eat tasty food or junk or get fat ... but it might happen, I don't know I can't predict the future. 

But I'll ensure with all my heart that I fix the mental stuff, how I relate to others, guilt, lying, compromising, bad environments, bad energy, addiction to negative moods. I'll put 95% of my focus on that, hence I start to wonder if gym is just a distraction these days, all my time really should go into the mental and energetic stuff

Also, I didn't even read your paragraph but I agree with the spirit of the question, not with all foods though, but certainly alcohol...

People that NEVER drink anything ever are really weird to me, it's not bad if done with moderation and timing, especially if you actually workout and have good mental health, you can still drink and be extremely healthy and get some fun/relaxation out of it ... maybe you'll lose some health points by like 0.3%, but living a boring life is pointless anyway. I drink gin sometimes. Note I'm saying SOMETIMES, like way way less than normal people in society do it, and doing it in a calculated way like finish drinking several hours before sleep, with water and socially like 1/2 times a week ...

NEVER EVER Eating an ice cream doesnt fit me , you can't just frame everything as about "craving it", it's about appreciating the experience, the taste and the art of the cooking ... Maybe they used some crazy fire techniques and you see all the cream dripping out and it's all aesthetic and super tasty and you appreciate it with your friends, you tip the waiter handsomely laugh smile, go home have a drink or 2, get it out your system . Why not have these experiences sometimes? 

Edited by Optimized Life

On 7/7/2022 at 7:27 AM, undeather said:

This question of right or wrong doesn't really make sense in this case.
I mean - wrong for what? for whom? for which purpuse? in what quantity? in what sense?....
If we cant contextualize our qustion about food, then any answer will be inherently unsatisfactory.

Right and Wrong doesn't exist. Right and Wrong is based on what you personally value and aim for. Everyone who is giving advice is usually aiming for you to choose good body health, good emotional health. So every answer they give is geared towards that. But to follow their advice you will need to change your current process and follow the processes they provide.

Most people do not want to follow those processes because of their beliefs and preferences. There is nothing wrong with that but...you reep what you sow. If you do not take care of your health when you are young, you will reap disease and other health issues as a result in old age. That is fine if you are okay with enjoying your youth with abandon and dealing with horrible results at a later time.

The advice given is sound if you want to aim for the highest well-being, but you don't have too if you want to have a little fun now, and suffer immensely later. You are free to choose to suffer later, you have that right.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

@Razard86 If you smoke, eat only chips and other garbage and never exercise then yes this is the likely outcome. But if you eat mostly clean, exercise and are emotionally healthy I don’t think you have to worry about having horrible sicknesses when you are older when you enjoyed some ice cream with your friends when you were young. 
But still most people eat like trash and 70-80 years old. Of course the life quality isn’t good but it’s still impressive. 

Edited by Jannes

1 hour ago, Razard86 said:

Right and Wrong doesn't exist. Right and Wrong is based on what you personally value and aim for. Everyone who is giving advice is usually aiming for you to choose good body health, good emotional health. So every answer they give is geared towards that. But to follow their advice you will need to change your current process and follow the processes they provide.

Most people do not want to follow those processes because of their beliefs and preferences. There is nothing wrong with that but...you reep what you sow. If you do not take care of your health when you are young, you will reap disease and other health issues as a result in old age. That is fine if you are okay with enjoying your youth with abandon and dealing with horrible results at a later time.

The advice given is sound if you want to aim for the highest well-being, but you don't have too if you want to have a little fun now, and suffer immensely later. You are free to choose to suffer later, you have that right.

Thats exactly what my post is poiting to

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Optimized Life said:

I've tried being a perfect health nut without working on the mental/social/spiritual side and I still felt like I was in total hell. 

yeah I feel you there. It’s almost like you put all your focus into a myserie that lasts as long as possible. 

Mental health environment and social life , always comes first and is 80% of health. 

Who cares if you die at 70 if you had a healthy mind and happy life. 

I'm not saying I plan to eat tasty food or junk or get fat ... but it might happen, I don't know I can't predict the future. 

If you are healthy you attract people with better energy. If you feel like shit and look like shit from all the junk you will also attract people who don’t respect themself. So I would still say that nutrition is very important and actually supports emotional health but you just shouldn’t be so neurotic about it. And if you eat some junk sometimes it really doesn’t hurt you all that much. 

hence I start to wonder if gym is just a distraction these days, all my time really should go into the mental and energetic stuff

I like the gym. I have kind of an body high after going to the gym and your body gives you all sorts of hormones that make you happy. You feel comfortable in your body not just because you look better but because your body feels so much better. Even if I wouldn’t benefit from going to the gym in terms of health I would probably still go to the gym. Maybe find a trainings partner or do some sport that you enjoy more. Being fit is fun…

Also, I didn't even read your paragraph but I agree with the spirit of the question, not with all foods though, but certainly alcohol...

People that NEVER drink anything ever are really weird to me, it's not bad if done with moderation and timing, especially if you actually workout and have good mental health, you can still drink and be extremely healthy and get some fun/relaxation out of it ... maybe you'll lose some health points by like 0.3%, but living a boring life is pointless anyway. I drink gin sometimes. Note I'm saying SOMETIMES, like way way less than normal people in society do it, and doing it in a calculated way like finish drinking several hours before sleep, with water and socially like 1/2 times a week ...

idk I don’t like alcohol at all. I can have some fun that day but it’s not like it makes everything radically better. just a bit and I don’t like the feeling the next day. It’s expensive you can get addicted to it… Idk I don’t agree. Having a drink SOMETIMES probably doesn’t make you a lot less healthier but still a good chunk less. I mean you literally drink poison. Eating some junk in comparison is a lot healthier. 

NEVER EVER Eating an ice cream doesnt fit me , you can't just frame everything as about "craving it", it's about appreciating the experience, the taste and the art of the cooking ... Maybe they used some crazy fire techniques and you see all the cream dripping out and it's all aesthetic and super tasty and you appreciate it with your friends, you tip the waiter handsomely laugh smile, go home have a drink or 2, get it out your system . Why not have these experiences sometimes? 

Some people might say that you don’t appreciate life by consuming junk. But culture is also a part of reality and there is a lot of beauty in it. I want to eat some Coca Cola icecream or the next vegan burger at McDonald’s when it comes out goddamit ? but again moderation. You should probably keep it mostly as a social event. 

Edited by Jannes

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

Some people might say that you don’t appreciate life by consuming junk. But culture is also a part of reality and there is a lot of beauty in it. I want to eat some Coca Cola icecream or the next vegan burger at McDonald’s when it comes out goddamit ? but again moderation. You should probably keep it mostly as a social event. 

You're completely misconstruing and misdirecting my lingo here. 

When I said occasionally enjoying life in that way I was envisioning u go to a nice resteruant with your friends and they have a special kind of ice cream sundae with artistic presentation & fire and all this and you drink a little, it's a fun celebratory or relaxatory stimilus, and an occasional thing that isn't exactly some  lunchtime street corner daily event that u do out of convenience.

What I wasn't advocating was just going to some creepy MacDonald's packed with people and stressed out underpaid workers, that's a soulless treat. Use your imagination a little. 

* P.S ; I do eat at MacDonald's occasionally lol but it's not what I'm advocating as enjoying life.

Edited by Optimized Life

@Optimized Life Sorry, I just don’t seem to have as much class as you do ?

but honestly I would like that whole experience without alcohol more but I get why you would enjoy a drink in that scenario. But is this really something you see more then a few times a year? 

26 minutes ago, Optimized Life said:

What I wasn't advocating was just going to some creepy MacDonald's packed with people and stressed out underpaid workers, that's a soulless treat.  

For me the charme of McDonald’s is that everybody was there at some point and everyone agrees that they only sell dogshit that doesn’t even taste that great (even their vegetables taste like they don’t have any vitamins) but for some reason that’s exactly why you go there. To get the latest sloppy dogshit burger. It’s a special kind of love. But maybe that’s just my perspective. Again, I don’t have class. 

Edited by Jannes

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

@Optimized Life Sorry, I just don’t seem to have as much class as you do ?

They do that stuff in local Mediterranean & south America. It's more about culture & grandiosity than class, great staff great atmosphere, the social stimulation & vibe u get is well worth the insulin spike. There's 1 restaurant I'll never forget in particular.

But ye, I wish I was a man of class already, unfortunately I'm not yet, I'll take the compliment. 

Edited by Optimized Life

People who do not have satisfying diets don’t diet very long. They go back to eating shit 24/7. Create a diet based on healthy options and have some treats for yourself to maintain sanity. This is the approach that will give the most practical results for people. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

It's possible to get to a place where you prefer eating healthy, not mainly because of some long-term health outcome, but because you appreciate how healthy food makes you feel on a bodily level. I call this Intrinsic Health.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@BipolarGrowthI agree. 

14 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

It's possible to get to a place where you prefer eating healthy, not mainly because of some long-term health outcome, but because you appreciate how healthy food makes you feel on a bodily level. I call this Intrinsic Health.

Yeah that definetly exists and this prevents me from eating to much junk. But it doesn’t prevent me from eating some junk from time to time. My body gives me an ok for that. 

8 hours ago, Jannes said:

Yeah that definetly exists and this prevents me from eating to much junk. But it doesn’t prevent me from eating some junk from time to time. My body gives me an ok for that. 

I think everybody knows about that lesson to some degree. In my experience, it's too strong to make me want to eat anything that deviates from that impulse, and I think everybody can discover that potential within themselves.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Its up to you in the end. I don't like demonising people who want to be excellent in any area, whether that be nutrition or another... If trying to be perfect isn't the right move then you'll learn the hard way. 

Nutrigenomics would tell us it depends on how often your cells are inflamed as to the rate in which they return back to a healthy state. So if you were as clean as can be for a year and then had a bag of corn chips, your immune system would bounce back extremely quickly, but if you eat the chips everyday your immune system is probably working to fight foreign invaders around the clock. 

After a while of eating clean you don't actually crave junk food at all anymore but you need to totally eliminate processed foods & refined sugar. The first month or so will be hard then the rest of your life will be easy. 

I understand you may want to cheat by having a McDonald's, but just a single McDonald's meal could bring the addiction back. It's best to think of fast food as crack cocaine, if you're coming off crack you wouldn't say "oh if I just have it 20% of the time that's ok". 

13 hours ago, Mada_ said:

Nutrigenomics would tell us it depends on how often your cells are inflamed as to the rate in which they return back to a healthy state. So if you were as clean as can be for a year and then had a bag of corn chips, your immune system would bounce back extremely quickly, but if you eat the chips everyday your immune system is probably working to fight foreign invaders around the clock. 

You can probably also feel that right ? When I eat a lot of raw veggies my body just feels like is just jammed with nutrients and any more raw veggies don’t give me anything extra and they don’t even taste healthy anymore they are just boring to eat. Then a chocolate bar for example tastes amazing and it doesn’t feel like it’s hurting me in any way and I think it really doesn’t because my body is still full with nutrients. But if I eat to much junk and not enough healthy stuff for some time my body just craves the healthy stuff like raw veggies and they taste amazing and healthy again. 

3 hours ago, Stovo said:

After a while of eating clean you don't actually crave junk food at all anymore but you need to totally eliminate processed foods & refined sugar. The first month or so will be hard then the rest of your life will be easy. 

I understand you may want to cheat by having a McDonald's, but just a single McDonald's meal could bring the addiction back. It's best to think of fast food as crack cocaine, if you're coming off crack you wouldn't say "oh if I just have it 20% of the time that's ok". 

I probably went more then a year once without eating a gramm of regular sugar I was that dedicated. For me it’s more about finding a way in which I can eat clean but without being neurotic about it. 

The most annoying thing is when you want to be healthy and don’t wanna drink or eat bad but family and friends pressure you into it, or try guilt trip ya 

This ist just so entertaining. ?

On 7/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, Jannes said:

Your body needs vitamins and minerals, proteins, fats, fiber and carbs. So when you supplement, eat pretty good with plenty of vegetable and fruits and you get all your nutrition you are healthy (from a diet standpoint) But you don’t need to go 100% to check the boxes. When you have a bit of junk here and there but eat mostly clean you still get enough nutrients. Junk food doesn’t help you be healthier because it’s mostly empty calories but it also doesn’t hurt you (or at least very little) What does hurt you is when you stress yourself out to be 100% healthy. When all your friends get ice cream and you are the only one who doesn’t eat ice cream because it has sugar in it. That’s unhealthy. You feel bad because you don’t belong to the group. You feel bad because you can’t enjoy what all the other people enjoy. And you are stressed because you have to figure out a plan to get healthy food for yourself. Stress is unhealthy and all that stress combined is more unhealthy then the ice cream itself. Trying to be 100% ”clean“ is stage green being super emotional and a bit delusional. The stage yellow diet is 80% clean/20% junk! ?

I agree!